Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

July 14th, 2020 22:00

Inspiron 3542, Dell Direct Key Creator will not start, #2

Trying to create a USB Restore & Recover for my 2014 Dell Inspiron 3542 that came with Windows 8. I downloaded the Direct key files on a working Dell Desktop with Windows 10, files extracted fine ran the install and it put an icon on the desktop.  However, when I click to open it, it gives me the user account permission box.  I say yes, the box disappears and nothing happens?

2 Posts

July 15th, 2020 15:00

OK, I need to say my laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 a few years ago.  I tried to create the  Dell Key Creator from the download I found under the service tag for my Laptop. I tried to run the program, it creates the icon, but only runs long enough to ask for permission to modify my computer. I tried to run it on 2 Dell desktops and it did the same thing. So, I have a windows 7 dell mini desktop and it created the flash drive!!  

It seems to have problems with installing and creating a restore USB drive with Windows 10 operating.

You might want to fix that or, have 2 install/repair options. One for Win 8 or Win 10  platforms operating systems on the computer that is creating the windows recovery flash drive.

I cant wait to see if I am getting Windows 8 or Windows 10!!!

I fixed the problem myself. The software did not work on 2 dell desktops with Win 10, but when I ran it from a win 7 desktop, it created the recovery USB with no problems.  Case solved. There is something wrong with the software to create the USB recovery drive.

7 Posts

April 20th, 2023 22:00

I have same issue.  Dell software is so buggy...

So what are we supposed to do if we don't have a windows 7 machine?

No Events found!