Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

2 Posts

April 25th, 2020 10:00

Inspiron 3542 - Problem updating BIOS from A14 to A15

I am using a Dell Inspiron 3542. The current BIOS is A14 5/23/2018

The automatic dell system suggested a BIOS upgrade. I clicked on ‘install’ and checked automatic restart. After some downloading nothing more happened except the patience wheel turning. After half an hour I canceled. The BIOS was not changed.

Then I downloaded and started 3442A15.exe. From inside windows I got “Error: Unable to load driver”. Booting from the system disk and using the command prompt I got : “The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present.”

What can I do to install it?

The update was declared as urgent. Is it really so important, or can I just skip it?

1.5K Posts

April 25th, 2020 12:00

Considering your system doesn't seem to want to install It. you might not want to. However, if you manually download the BIOS file extract it to a USB Thumb Drive. Then boot to your BIOS F2, there should be a section there for flashing your BIOS, It might say something like Flash an older BIOS or just flash your BIOS. after Clicking browse to the BIOS file and it should update your BIOS

2 Posts

April 25th, 2020 16:00

Thanks for your reply.  

I found my mistake when I tried to find out how to extract files from 3442A15.exe.   It is an executable file which I needed to run as administrator.   When I did this, it worked. 

BTW, there is no option to flash the BIOS from the Aptio Setup Utility. 

1 Message

March 17th, 2024 11:57

My laptop is Dell Inspiron 3542 , when I was checking the Dell drivers website for updating . It showed that BIOS update as Critical so I downloaded the file and it showed Flash the BIOS .After successful, it restarted and now my system is hanging . It turns on successfully but Hangs after I click on something . Right now my BIOS version is A16. Kindly help with the matter 

No Events found!