flyboy6887
1 Nickel

Inspiron 5040 overheating?

Hello - I can only assume that the system is overheating due to the fact that the device powers off on its own at random, even when ONLY connected to AC power. I have tried replacing the external battery. I thought I could hear the fan running, but I could be wrong. Would it be worth it to try and replace the fan or no? Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alex8789
1 Nickel

Re: Inspiron 5040 overheating?

Run hardware test, press and hold the Fn key and while holding Fn key start the system, if there is hardware failure you will receive error codes and validation code, get the hardware replaced from Dell in case of failure.

If no failure found then go to dell.com/support , enter ur service tag and update all drivers using detect driver feature, make sure you update the BIOS.

Check if the air vents are clean, check if you hear any noise from the system, use laptop on flat surface.  But if laptop is heating way beyond normal then contact Dell technical support, number is 18006249896.

0 Kudos
Alex8789
1 Nickel

Run the hardware test, Fn+power to start the system- it will run hardware test- get the part replaced in case of error while running the test,if everything pass, update bios n chipset, if still heating is beyond normal contact Dell technical support for hardware failure.

0 Kudos
flyboy6887
1 Nickel

Ran hardware test, all passed. Installed Dell Support Assist, it found BIOS A3 & A5 versions that needed to be updated. After trying to install either version, I get a bios flash screen that said notice running on an unsupport system 

0 Kudos
Alex8789
1 Nickel

What is the model number is it Inspiron 15 N5040 or M5040

0 Kudos
flyboy6887
1 Nickel

n5040. I may have found the problem I was encountering with downloading the drivers...it was trying to get me to install n5050 drivers. I think I got the most up to date drivers installed for the 5040 and didn't see any updates available for the chipset 

0 Kudos
Alex8789
1 Nickel

Seems issue with the heatsink, may be dust accumulated on the heatsink, may be heatsink needs a thermal paste, you might need to replace the hardware here, please contact Dell technical support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
flyboy6887
1 Nickel

Hello - After replacing the heat sink on the system it seems as though the system is no longer seeing the HDD. I am getting an error 

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.

I found a part of troubleshooting steps on another site and it seems that it is telling me the HDD needs to be replaced, which I am trying to obviously avoid. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Alex8789
1 Nickel

Run hardware test,  start the system and immediately keep on tapping F12 and then select diagnostic and hit enter to run the hardware test. If you receive hardware failure while running the test then unfortunately you have to replace the HDD.

0 Kudos
flyboy6887
1 Nickel

OK - one last question that I just thought of then. Before replacing the motherboard, I had updated the BIOS to A05 on the old board. When running diagnostics, it appears that it is on version A03...could that have anything to do with it not seeing the HDD?

0 Kudos