Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

4 Posts

May 19th, 2020 09:00

Inspiron 5490 freezes for 1-2 seconds periodically (every 10-15 seconds)

Hello,

I bought this laptop almost 1 month ago. Installed Windows 10 Pro and every OS and driver upgrades including BIOS, motherboard, SSD ...etc.

My problem is, as I described in the subject, computer freezes 1-2 seconds periodically for every 10-15 seconds. I can see that CPU usage also increases due to a process called "System" (ntsokrnl) during these "freezed times".

It really effects user experience while surfing on a web, watching a video or doing any other stuff. For instance, when I am scrolling down on a website it freezes 1-2 seconds and then continue to scroll down or while I am watching a video on youtube video stops for a second and then continues. Freezing happens even if computer stays at an idle state. I am also uploading a screenshot of Task Manager/ CPU graph that may help you to understand the issue. If you want to see how it effects computer, I can also upload a video and share link.

Please help me before I sent it back to warranty.

cpu_graph.jpg

Thanks.

• 

16.7K Posts

Hey uggur,

Yes, it happens at times. You can run the diags on the computer to see if any hardware is failing. To run the ePSA diags start the computer and tap the F12 key. Once the options are on the screen choose to run ePSA diags.

4 Posts

Hello Jesse,

I can reinstall OS no problem but I just want to be sure if any hardware issue may cause this or not. Because I read a lot of similiar problems and some people say that this kind of problem happens due to RAM and DIMM slot issues or some others say SSD driver problems.

Have you ever faced similiar problem and solved with just an OS reinstall?

Thanks.

• 

16.7K Posts

uggur,

That is a Windows OS issue. You may want to reinstall Windows. Since you did not purchase the OS from Dell you will need to contact Microsoft for Windows support.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

May 19th, 2020 10:00

Freezing issues can be difficult to troubleshoot and diagnose.  Please try running a systems diagnostics by pressing F12 at startup or by running Dell Support Assist.  Make a note of any error messages and contact tech support for further troubleshooting and possible resolution.  

• 

25.1K Posts

May 19th, 2020 12:00

You are very welcome!! Let us know what happens, please. 

4 Posts

May 19th, 2020 12:00

No issues found. Anyway, I am gonna reinstall OS and let you know the result.

Thanks for your help.

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 09:00

Hello again,

For your information, I have already installed OS again and now it looks ok.

Thanks.

No Events found!