Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

6 Posts

December 17th, 2020 13:00

Inspiron 5502/5509 backlight leakage/bleeding

Is this acceptable? The brightness was 100% in the dark room. I received the laptop yesterday, and I found the light leakage last night.. so disappointing..

What do you think I should do?

20201217_145644.jpg20201217_145619.jpg

3 Apprentice

• 

547 Posts

December 17th, 2020 16:00

If that's not a reflection that I'm seeing (red/blue/green/yellow spots in the corners), then I would return it. Also note, that it appears that your screen has a non-reflective matte finish on it. Matte screens will amplify the back-lighting, washing out dark colors and giving the display a poor contrast, which some people may confuse as light bleed. Glossy finish screens on the other hand, will provide richer colors and contrast, as well as better sharpness. Their downside is that they are highly reflective, depending on your work environment.

December 17th, 2020 20:00

Thank you for the response. Yeah I might need to return it. I just compared it to my 7 year-old Samsung laptop that also has a similar display (a non-reflective matte finish), there's no light leakage at all under the same condition. My other desktop monitors also don't have the same issue.

March 6th, 2021 01:00

I too am facing the same issue on all the four corners. Also I do have a edge misalignment issue from left and right sides of the same 5509 laptop but they are listening. Just asking more and more images and videos of the issue, wihtout any plausible resolution and already have wasted a week of mine over phone calls and emails.

Dell INDIA Customer support is pathetic. Really shameful of them.

Here is the link to my post: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Manufacturing-defect-and-other-problems-arising-within-20-days/m-p/7824499

March 6th, 2021 01:00

Did Dell accept it as a defect ? and  is ur return successful ?

In my case there is leak but in small portion and as per them it is a design. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/5509-backlight-bleed-issue/m-p/7824419

Not happy with such a design, I have another desktop monitors and I do not see any leakage.

If is as per design then it should be uniform not just at one corner

March 11th, 2021 00:00

Is the returning back of product successful?

4 Posts

June 29th, 2021 21:00

These idiots day everything is as per design! 

4 Posts

June 29th, 2021 22:00

Guys can anyone confirm if there is a gap between the lid and keyboard deck when the lid is closed??

4 Posts

June 30th, 2021 03:00

Are you sure? Because my system has significant amount of GAP only on the front side, as if the lid is curved. Please confirm

Yes, bro it is there but no worries actually it comes into play when you put extra pressure on the lid when the lid is closed. It actually saves the display from harm due to flex.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

I would say your backlight issue is on par with what I first experienced, and it seems you've got some IPS color glow on your top right corner as well! I'd definitely fight them for that replacement, if they still refuse you then send it back.

June 30th, 2021 21:00

Yes I can confirm as I bought the Inspiron 5509 way back on 31st January 2021.

My brother recently purchased a Inspiron 5510 on 18th June 2021 (on the same day on which it was launched) and on comparison I can tell you that Inspiron 5510 is way better in every aspect.

Even the gap that you have mentioned is also minimised.

So, I think if is there is some serious issue in your laptop and if you still have the 14 day return window from the date of delivery (showing on the order page of your laptop) then try to purchase Inspiron 5510.

4 Posts

June 30th, 2021 21:00

Can you also confirm that the screen brightness randomly fluctuates while scrolling or moving cursor on dark/grey backgrounds? I've raised the issue but as usual Dell is so pathetic!!!

July 1st, 2021 03:00

This is due to the eco-power setting under the display (video) section under the bios set up. Turn it off to avoid change in brightness automatically.

Also there may be other options as well which you may explore on your own to further customise your system.

To enter bios enter turn off the laptop. Then turn it on and repeatedly press F2 until bio setup screen appears.

Also, open Intel Graphics Command Center and under the section System, Go to Power. There you will find Panel Self Refresh, turn it off.

https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/articles/000026580/graphics/graphics-for-7th-generation-intel-processors.html

Note that Panel self refresh is also one of the cause for display flicker. See on the google.

No Events found!