Highlighted
Blakers007
Bronze

Inspiron 5548 BIOS A08 Update Major Startup Issue / Failure

I have owned my Inspiron 5548 for nearly 4 years (got it new) and it has ran flawlessly until now. Tonight I turned my laptop on and the Dell SupportAssist app notified me of 2 updates my computer needed. I do not remember what the second one was, but the first was labeled "Urgent" and it was the BIOS Update to A08. I was updating from A06. It said that a restart was required after installing. It downloaded the update, I clicked "Install" and followed all instructions all the way to the restart. As it was going through the restart process the Dell logo screen came up and then I had a black screen with the text that follows:

Intel UNDI. PXE-2.1 (build 003)

Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corportation

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents:

US6,570,884  US6,115,776  and  US6,327,625

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.34 (10/07/13)

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine

Every time I hit any key to continue it does the same thing over and over. Flashes a brief screen with the Dell Logo (offering F2 Setup and F12 Boot Option menus) and then right back to the black screen with the text above. 

I contacted Dell Support right away and after explaining what happened, the gentleman on the phone proceeded to tell me that I was out of warranty and to continue to diagnose my computer on the phone I would need to pay $239 for a new warranty plan. After attempting to tell him multiple times that the issue occurred because of an update sent to me by Dell he tried to tell me the problem was not cause by the update and to continue I would have to agree to paying for a billable phone call. I proceeded to hang up and hit the internet to see if I was the only one that has had problems with the BIOS A08 update and I have found that I am not. I haven't come across a remedy though. Does anyone have one?

I did read somewhere that someone mentioned that if the Support person asks to charge the phone call to ask to escalate the call to L3 Support. What does that do?

Thanks for any help! Really hope I'm not stuck paying someone $200+ to fix what was a perfectly functioning computer less than 2 hours ago.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Blakers007
Bronze

Re: Inspiron 5548 BIOS A08 Update Major Startup Issue / Failure

Here is a picture of what my screen displays now:

IMG_1943.jpg

0 Kudos

I also get same problem, what you have shown in your message.

After reading "https://www.dell.com/support/home/in/en/inbsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=2pr0d" >>> Installation Instructions, I tried the following:

1. Switch on the laptop and press F12 i.e. Boot Manager

2. Select 'UEFI BOOT'  i.e. HDD1-_______ press enter

System started.... 

But, when I restart the laptop after shutdown, it is again showing the same problem. So, I again open the BOOT Manager and did the same as above and Laptop started.

I think in initial BIOS setting the Boot source needs to be set as UEFI BOOT, I could not found the way.

I hope this would help in your case. 

0 Kudos
Blakers007
Bronze

Thank you! I will give that a try later today. As long as I can keep from having to take this to someone and pay to extract my important stuff off the laptop I’ll consider that a win and get a different computer. My phone call to Dell about this last night left me absolutely red in the face and wanting to set fire to this laptop.

0 Kudos
Blakers007
Bronze

You know it's funny. The person in Dell Tech Support I talked to on the phone guaranteed me it wasn't the BIOS update that caused my problem. He said it had to be some other update my computer did, maybe a Windows Update he said, but definitely not the BIOS update. I took my laptop to a computer repair place today and described to him what was going on and he knew exactly what I was talking about before I could finish. He said Dell is putting out bad updates right now and some are even causing towers to melt their processor. Mine definitely wasn't the first he's had to fix in the last few months. My update issue was that upon starting my computer it wasn't recognizing/seeing the hard drive and therefore just stuck. The guy told me he would reflash (not sure if that is the correct term) the BIOS to my previous version and I should be good to go. Sure enough, that was all he had to do. NOTHING ELSE. So, 1 hour and $55 later my computer is working again.

So, to Dell and the Tech Support guy at Dell I talked to, I hope you see this and know that you were wrong. COMPLETELY! Your BIOS update to A08 is garbage and you need to quit scamming people by sending it out as an Urgent update through your SupportAssist app and then telling folks who do not have warranty that it will cost them $239 to get a new warranty and have their computer fixed. This will be my last Dell product ever and look forward to the day I get something else.

0 Kudos
DJ1010
Copper

You update to the ufei by hitting F2 not f12. Then make sure to hit f10 “save and exit”
0 Kudos
Black shuck
Copper

Re: Inspiron 5548 BIOS A08 Update Major Startup Issue / Fail

Well...I've just spent four days (I kid you not) getting this same issue sorted on my 5548. Having received the urgent update warning from Dell I installed the A08 BIOS and it killed my laptop - blue screen of death etc, etc, as many others have found. I solved it, via a million diagnostics. Basically, I had to learn how to make a DOS bootable USB stick using Rufus software and loaded up and installed the old BIOS. I then had to repeat the process to re-install Windows 10. Although my data and so on were still present they were in the folder entitled Windows.old and, therefore, capable of being put back into My Pictures, My Documents etc. Almost every program I had was jiggered (I guess the registry entries etc got changed on re-installing Windows 10), it was just a matter of re-installing all of them (and Chrome). Everything now works well (and faster). This cost me a heck of a lot of time and nervous energy (I even replaced the CMOS battery just in case - the old one proved to be fine. The battery change required me taking the laptop apart almost completely by the way - bad design feature). 

If you do a web search it seems many, many, others have had problems with this urgent BIOS update. It may not be a Dell/Insyde software issue, specifically, but it sure talked to something it didn't like (in Windows 10?).  So..please Dell, I love your laptops and PCs, but don't ever tell me to update the BIOS (especially as the recovery protocol also failed).   

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: Inspiron 5548 BIOS A08 Update Major Startup Issue / Fail

Well, i have an Inspiron 11 3000 series and since yesterday, my laptop wont go past the Dell logo screen. Ive spent thr last hour trying to figure out how to fix the darn thing but im not a computer expert. Ive had the laptop since my birthday, which was in November. Ive had no issues with it before hand and i didnt recieve an email or anything about the update. I dunno if its because of Windows 10 or that Dell f'd up hard. Anyway I can find an answer and that we can get our laptops to work again. 

0 Kudos