Inspiron 5565 shuts off when battery is 80%

Laptop was purchased 11/2017. all windows updates applied and all drivers checked for new versions and are installed. Dell diagnostics from Dell support site indicates no hardware problems. The battery health is showing no issues on Windows Defender.

Issue:

When operating on battery power, as soon as the battery drops to 80%, computer turns off instantly and power button will not turn the unit on UNTIL is is plugged into the AC. Battery then charges back to 100% but when used on battery only, unit again shuts off at 80%. Does not seem to be an overheating problem as no problems wen it is plugged in.

Any software suggestions or his it a hardware problem.

Thanks

Al

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Inspiron 5565 shuts off when battery is 80%

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you on this.

How long have you been having this issue?

Please restart the computer & tap F2 to get into BIOS, check the version of BIOS installed along with the battery and AC adapter status. Stay in BIOS screen after a full charge & check if the computer turns off, this will help us identify if this an issue with the hardware or OS.

Please check Advance battery charge configuration if disabled, please enable it.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

0 Kudos

Thank you Dell-Sreejith R for attempting to help me. Following your steps:

Service tag: <Service tag removed>

BIOS:  1.1.1

AC Adapter type <45w>

Battery Health: Battery is performing normally

The Advance Battery configuration was DISABLED so I changed to ENABLED as you suggested.

I then saved the new BIOS configuration and exited, restarted, entered BIOS update, unplugged ac adapter and within 2 minutes the unit shut off. Plugged in adapter and started up and battery was at 100%. So with the Advanced Battery Configuration ENABLED unit shuts off almost immediately. With it DISABLED battery drops to 80% before unit shuts off.

I have noticed one thing that may be helpful. With AC adapter plugged in and battery at 90%- occasionally the battery icon in the system tray indicates ADAPTER PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING. If I unplug the adapter at this point the unit shuts off immediately.

If I reboot then the battery icon indicates 10 MINUTES TILL FULL CHARGE and I can unplug the adapter and the unit will operate for a period of time before it shuts down.

Thanks again for the help.

Al Kendall

<Email id removed>

0 Kudos
Purple9073
1 Copper

I am experiencing the exact same issue and bought my laptop in Nov 2017. Ugh, this issue has been inconvenient
0 Kudos

Inconvenient hardly describes the frustration. I could live without battery operation but the unit will randomly shut down with a full charge and the ac adapter plugged in.

Tech support has suggested that the battery is defective; but I have my doubts. The question: Is a $400 computer worth repairing when the cost could easily exceed 50% of the price of a new one?  Too bad most manufacturers have discontinued user replaceable batteries. 

0 Kudos