Highlighted
mthurman1
1 Nickel

Inspiron 5570, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB, NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

Hi,

I just purchased a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD and want to know the best way to get this running on my Inspiron 5570 with a new Windows 10 install? I want to boot from this new drive. So far I am thinking:

1. Switch mode to AHCI in bios
  2. Install SSD in M.2 Slot
  3. Change boot order in bios to boot from 970 EVO
  4. Insert bootable WIndows 10 USB install stick
  5. Boot and hit F12 to select USB stick
  6. Install Windows to the new EVO 970
  7. Boot into windows and install Samsung Magician, drivers, etc.

Will this work? Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Matt

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: 5570 - adding Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 S

Fyi some systems have been found not to work with the 970 Pro/Evo models, even though those same systems work just fine with the 960 Pro/Evo.  No underlying cause has been identified, and some systems work just fine with the 970 models, but if you find that your system isn't detecting the 970 even in the BIOS "System information/summary" section, that may be the issue.

But assuming that isn't a problem, in terms of your plan, if your system uses UEFI booting, you can skip Step 3 because you won't see your SSD in the boot list while it's empty.  You also won't see your USB stick, but that's fine because you're planning to use the F12 menu there, which is correct.  The reason is that on UEFI systems work differently from Legacy BIOS systems.  Legacy BIOS systems have all of their boot options comprised of devices.  On UEFI systems, boot options relating to local storage devices have to be registered into the UEFI firmware in order to be displayed in the boot order list, and a UEFI boot option consists of a path to a specific bootloader file on a specific partition of a specific device -- obviously an empty SSD won't have a bootloader file on it, or even any partitions.  By comparison, the F12 menu populates its list dynamically based on what's connected/detected at that time, which is why your USB stick WILL show up there as long as it's been properly prepared as Windows installation media.  The Windows installer will take care of registering your new Windows installation into your UEFI firmware.

And technically you could switch #1 and #2 around if you want.  It doesn't matter when you make that change as long as you do it before installing the OS.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
mthurman1
1 Nickel

Thanks jphughan! I will have it tomorrow and will report back.
0 Kudos
mthurman1
1 Nickel

jphugan,

i installed the 970 Evo and now the computer will not boot into windows from the HD’s. Gets to the dell logo and then stops. I ran diagnostics and found no issues. I can see the drive in the bios under  system information. I have not changed any settings...only installed the card to the MB. Any suggestions? Should I not worry about it and just switch to AHCI and install Windows?

Bios shows:

M.2 SATA SSD = none

M.2 PCIe SSD-0 = S465NB0KA04351R

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
mthurman1
1 Nickel

Turned off secure boot and all was good. Installed Windows, nvm drivers, etc. 1792 read, 1525 write
0 Kudos
mathewgx12
1 Nickel

I thought that Dell 5570 supports only up to 256gb NVMe ssd. Am I wrong ?
0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@mathewgx12 wrote:
I thought that Dell 5570 supports only up to 256gb NVMe ssd. Am I wrong ?

When max capacities are listed in documentation, it typically reflects the max capacity the system is sold with and/or that the manufacturer actually tested, but there hasn't been a meaningful hardware or firmware limitation on internal storage capacity since the Windows XP days where you needed SP1 and a BIOS that supported 48-bit LBA addressing to use drives larger than I think 137GB.  Since then, the only other limitation is around drives larger than 2TB, but that's a software limitation and it doesn't even really apply anymore.  On Windows XP, you couldn't use disks larger than 2TB because it didn't support the GPT partition layout; the only exception was if you used certain USB drive enclosures that used an ugly hack to allow using larger disks, at the cost of rendering the drive unreadable when connected through an interface that didn't use that ugly hack.  The other limitation was that the boot disk couldn't be larger than 2TB on any system that used Legacy BIOS booting, because those systems can't boot from GPT disks -- although they could still read other disks that used the GPT layout.  But modern UEFI systems boot from GPT disks, so that issue has basically gone away.

0 Kudos
mthurman1
1 Nickel

Sorry, the title should be 256GB. The documentation shows 512 for NVMe. I agree with jphughan that bigger drives would probably work.

0 Kudos