Highlighted
1 Copper

Inspiron 5570 not turning on

Jump to solution

I left my 14 month old 5570 running on AC power, came back to it several hours later and it had turned off and would not restart. No problems with this unit before this.

I noticed that when I plug in the AC adapter, the power light beside the plug comes on for about a second and then turns off again. I removed the lower cover, removed the battery, held down the power button for 30 seconds (for hard reset), reinstalled the battery but no joy. I removed the battery completely and tried on AC power only but same result - power light comes on for a second then goes out with or without the battery installed.

I suspecting the AC power interface board has gone south but maybe there is another approach???

Should I pull the coin battery to reset the bios?

What really hacks me off is that just the day before this happened, I got a got a DellSupportAssistant notice informing me my warranty had expired and would I like an extended service contract - which I of course ignored .... Arrrrrgh!!!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 5570 not turning on

Jump to solution

Ok, I'm back in business! Ya baby!!!!

So it turns out that the hard reset (pressing power button for 30 seconds) worked after a 3rd try. Beforehand I pulled the coin battery from the BIOS (not sure if this made a difference or not). Anyway, while holding the power button this time, I noticed the AC power LED flashed after about 30 seconds this time and so I let off the power button immediately - and low and behold, I got the display light up with the DELL logo and reboot. Had to reconfig the BIOS but no worries.

I did not notice the AC LED flash previously so I am I not really sure what I did different this time (other than the coin battery reset).

And I pulled both SSD's and memory module to check if any of these were holding the system down but this was not the case.

Anyway, for future reference, others take note of the AC LED flash that I assume indicates the reset worked...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Google for Dell's troubleshooting guide. I don't have the URL handy.

It does sound like either your DC jack board is bad or your motherboard is bad.

1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ok, I'm back in business! Ya baby!!!!

So it turns out that the hard reset (pressing power button for 30 seconds) worked after a 3rd try. Beforehand I pulled the coin battery from the BIOS (not sure if this made a difference or not). Anyway, while holding the power button this time, I noticed the AC power LED flashed after about 30 seconds this time and so I let off the power button immediately - and low and behold, I got the display light up with the DELL logo and reboot. Had to reconfig the BIOS but no worries.

I did not notice the AC LED flash previously so I am I not really sure what I did different this time (other than the coin battery reset).

And I pulled both SSD's and memory module to check if any of these were holding the system down but this was not the case.

Anyway, for future reference, others take note of the AC LED flash that I assume indicates the reset worked...

View solution in original post