Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

17 Posts

July 10th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 5570, runs hot, plastic film blocking air intake

Dear Dell Support Team, I recently purchased a dell inspiron 5570 core i5 8250u with radeon 530. I noticed it gets hot and the fan are very noisy when playing games. i'm on latest bios 1.1.6.

Being an IT technician I decided to upgrade the RAM modules today and while working inside the laptop I noticed that on the inside of the air intake vent located on the bottom of the laptop has a transparent plastic film sticked on top of the dust filter thus completely blocking the air intake at the bottom of the laptop.

So my question, Is that transparent plastic film normally supposed to be glued on top of the dust filter?

Should I remove the plastic film? Was it unintentionally left on the assembly line? Will removing it improve airflow inside the laptop?

Thanks Nirmal

17 Posts

Hi Jesse L, that's what I thought removing it will allow proper airflow to the fan. Note that the plastic film is on the inside of the laptop. I mean the other side of the air vent so i will need to remove the bottom cover to remove it from the dust filter. I hope that my laptop is an isolated case if not other inspiron 5570 may be experiencing overheating issues. Sincerely Nirmal.

• 

16.7K Posts

Nirmalr7,

Yes, remove the plastic film from the vent. The system cannot get airflow with the vent blocked. It will cause overheating if left on.

17 Posts

July 10th, 2018 10:00

Hi Jesse L ...here's what I just did with my dell laptop.. I removed the plastic film inside the laptop. I will be testing it for several hours I hope it helps cool down the laptop during heavy usage. Please pass this message to the engineering team.

Rgds Nirmal.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

17 Posts

July 12th, 2018 06:00

Finally I had to put back the plastic film as It was making the laptop more noisier and much hotter with temperatures nearing 95-99degrees Celsius for CPU/GPU during heavy usage as both share the same heat sink. The air intake at the bottom of the laptop is a dummy and it will make the laptop hotter if the plastic film is removed so using a laptop cooling pad is useless for this model as It will only cool the bottom cover not the inside. It cost me nearly $1000 USD.. a laptop this expensive should have a better thermal design. This is very capable laptop but it's actual thermal design will most likely turn it into a barbeque. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 12th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you on this & escalate this to our product team.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

17 Posts

July 25th, 2018 22:00

Hey i found a fix for the overheating problem. Due to the lack of a proper thermal design of the laptop I have to disable intel turbo boost in bios. The laptop runs much cooler at 1.6ghz instead of 3.4ghz turbo boost and the radeon 530 performance maxed out as a result I saw increased fps in games like NFS Payback 1080p medium settings, Far cry 5 totally playable in 1080p normal settings, Watchdogs 2 1080p low settings and fifa18 1080p high settings. I saw earlier that the intel turbo boost was throttling the cpu and gpu due to really high temperature of over 90 - 99 degrees celcius under heavy usage and disabling it greatly improved performance even at 1.6Ghz the laptop is reasonably fast for my needs, runs cooler and is much silent. i'm using current radeon driver 18.7.1

8 Posts

September 15th, 2018 11:00

Hi, I turned off Intel TurboBoost, but I tried some other games and the game was totally suffering with FPS Drop due to 1.6GHz CPU speed tho it ran quieter and cooler but the performance is dumped down.

My specs are the same as yours but with 4GB of RAM and AMD Radeon 530 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM.

17 Posts

September 20th, 2018 09:00

I replaced the stock Dell thermal paste for intel CPU/AMD GPU with Coolermaster Master Gel Maker.. When i did the stress test prime95 my cpu max temp with Intel turbo boost enabled was 76 degrees celcius at maximum 100% cpu usage instead of usual 99 degrees celcius when it had the Dell thermal paste on. If you know how to repaste the thermal paste you can do it yourself or else get a qualified technician do it for you. just so that you don't mess up with warranty etc..  The drop in temp and increase in performance was worth it. At idle the temp is now 44-46 degrees celcius.. else I was getting up to 70degrees at idle with the stock thermal paste. 20180920_173432.jpg20180920_190853.jpg20180920_203250.jpg

17 Posts

September 20th, 2018 09:00

I forgot to mention.. if you are casually running games on this dell laptop.. you should at least have 8gb ram installed else it will lag even at lowest setting.. I also swapped the 1tb hard drive for an ssd.

17 Posts

September 20th, 2018 10:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqO-D1byJ9o

check this video to have an idea on how to repaste the thermalpaste..the 5570 is a little similar to the one in this video

20 Posts

September 20th, 2018 20:00

My 5570 is running hot also. I was thinking of  re-pasting the CPU and GPU of next time I have the back off with some GELID GC-Extreme. Have had good results with it on my other laptops.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2018 07:00

My 5570 regularly runs temps above 90C and  literally ALL (!!!) I do on it it's just word and excel. This is ridiculous 

3 Posts

November 28th, 2018 11:00

Hi Nirmalr7, was there any improvement in cooling of CPU and GPU temperature after repasting? Because my laptop also has some similar issues....

17 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 08:00

Repasting seems to be working to lower the temperature and fan noise but be cautious when applying it and I don't recommend gaming with this laptop as the heatsink, heat pipe and fan looks cheap and it does not do a good job to lower the temperature while gaming so be cautious do not run games as it risk frying the GPU and CPU. Also I recommend installing a minimum of 8GB RAM for this laptop.

3 Posts

December 4th, 2018 12:00

Yeah I have experienced very high temperature of CPU (above 95C) and GPU (above 75C) while gaming. And even for a small video rendering process the Machine gets upto nearly 80C for CPU and 70C for GPU. Does repasting helps in reducing these temperatures. My laptop is brand new and it runs really HOT... Laptops cheaper than this have better heat dissipation and have excellent gaming performance. I really feel dissappointed.Can you  please upload the results of the Benchmark after repasting. Because Im in the thought of repasting my CPU and GPU

Is there any tweaks or driver updates to fix this issue??? 

No Events found!