Highlighted
Alphacobra
Copper

Inspiron 5570 slow wifi

I bought a new Inspiron 5570 last week. It has "802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1"

I have another 6 years old ASUS x401a-bhpdn41 laptop that has integrated Integrated 802.11 b/g/n

Now connecting both laptop through NETGEAR Router WGR614v10 that i believe is 802.11n capable, I see the older laptop connecting at 30Mbps and the new Dell only gets 10Mbps (though it connects to the router at 72.2Mbps MCS index).

They both were placed next to each other and both run windows 10. I have already tried updating network drivers for the inspiron.

I also took the dell to a friends house and found that though his 5 years old hp is able to connect to his wifi at 50Mbps, my Dell can only connect at 20Mbps. 

Spoke to Dell customer support. They initially said its an OS issue and when i spoke to the OS team he said its a hardware issue. the network card can only give me 20Mbps. Please help identify what the problem is. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Inspiron 5570 slow wifi

Hi Alphacobra,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as you expected.

Below is information to help speed up your wifi in Windows 10.

Upgrade The Firmware Of Router And Adapters

Vendors of routers and adapters keep on updating the firmware related to their products. The updates are available on the vendors’ websites. Make it a habit to check out these websites for updates at regular intervals. If you find any updates to your devices, upgrade them. This will not only enhance your products’ performance, but it also improves the security provided by the product.

Click in the Search field, type sysdm.cpl and press Enter. Step 2: Click the Advanced tab, then the Settings button in the Performance section. Step 3: Uncheck the box for Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing, then click Apply.

Windows 10 Wireless Networking Usage and Troubleshooting Guide for the Home

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Alphacobra
Copper

Thankyou Dell-Robert P for your reply.

I checked the firmware of the router and it was up-to-date.

I also tried moving my laptop close to the router and the result is the same. Please advise. Thanks!

0 Kudos
sssaksena
Bronze

I'm in the same boat as you. I recently bought a dell 5570 from dell's website and the wifi on it slow as a tortoise. I'm getting fast wifi speeds on my phone, tablet and my wife's 3 year old laptop but this new dell 5570 is getting only 1-2mbps speeds. I have Xfinity's 250mbps internet connection. There's definitely issue with dell's wifi module onboard. what can be done here? Please try not to blame the router's firmware.

0 Kudos
Alphacobra
Copper

I was able to find the source of the problem.

I did a clean reboot without any services and network was fine.

Tracked down the reason to smartbyte by rivet networks. Its must have been added by dell update. its in their drivers list. It runs two services on startup. I uninstalled it.

@sssaksena boot after disabling the two services. see if your wifi speed is good.

0 Kudos
sssaksena
Bronze

It worked!

wow. just wow. I uninstalled this Smart(dumb)Byte application from my laptop and I'm seeing great speeds!

Doesnt surprise me that one of the DELL crapware caused all the problems and headaches.

Its insane.

Shame on DELL, they will never own up to such things. always try to blame the firmware or anything else they can point fingers at.

0 Kudos