Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 22nd, 2018 00:00

Inspiron 5570 with crackling sound on both speakers and headphones

I bought an Inspiron 5570 (exact model: I5570_i7F82TGSW10s_218) last week , and since then, when I try to play any music (say Spotify, YouTube videos, Netflix, even sample sounds) I get this annoying little crackling sounds in between seconds. It's not permanent, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, but right now, as I'm listening to classical music on Spotify, is really noticeable.

I don't know why is this happening, I had the latest Realtek audio drivers from Dell webpage for my exact model, and they didn't improve anything. I tried default HD Audio driver from Windows 10, same thing, there's no improvement at all.

I've seen that it gets worse when I move my mouse around on anything, like moving it fast back and forward I get this crackling sound like when you had FM Radio and it started to lose signal? Not exactly that, but it's difficult to describe. Something like that. Tiny crackling sounds, but sounds after all.

I don't know what else to do, this computer is great but this issue is driving me insane. I have to say this happens on both speakers and headphones connected on the 3.5mm port. My headphones work great on my smartphone, so no issue with them.

Sorry for any bad english, not my native language.

9.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 08:00

Hi manimecker,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Does your system make the noises when playing mp3's or mp4's from your hard drive, a usb drive, or a cd/dvd?
or is the only time you are hearing the noises is over the wifi?  How about bluetooth?  Have you tried it with that?

Here is some information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

March 22nd, 2018 11:00

It happens the same with Bluetooth speaker connected.

It makes the crackling noises when playing MP3 locally, MP4 videos, using Groove, using Netflix, whatever sound. 

I have to say I downloaded the official Realtek High Definition driver and it resolved my issue for a while, but I think sound quality is worse than when I first turned on my computer, I mean, my Moto G4 Plus has better bass sound with the same headphones, that can't be right.

I already tried everything on your troubleshooter, basic HD driver, letting Windows try to fix it, couldn't fix anything. 

March 22nd, 2018 18:00

I just did a Factory reset, and issues weren't fixed. 

No idea what to do now.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 26th, 2018 08:00

@manimecker"No idea what to do now."

Hello. Try testing by switching from the Realtek driver to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select to uninstall.
4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
5. Restart the laptop.

When the laptop boots up it will look for the Realtek files that were removed in step 4. If none found then it will install the native driver. If an earlier version of a Realtek driver had been downloaded then its files could still be in the laptop and Windows would install that version of the Realtek, not the native driver. So after step 5, go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until "Realtek High Definition Audio" no longer appears under Sound...Controllers. If you see "High Definition Audio Device" that is the native driver, although in Win10 it can have a different name.

If the crackling is gone when the native driver is installed then the problem is with the Realtek driver and probably won't be resolved unless Realtek fixes it with an updated driver. But look through the Recent Issues FAQ and see how many different Inspiron laptops have noise issues that are resolved by using the native driver. It seems to be an ongoing issue that might never be resolved by Realtek and Dell, so weigh that as you are deciding whether or not to return the laptop due to this defect.

You could investigate further by running the DPC Latency Checker tool and seeing if it finds that excessive DPC latency is a factor on your laptop. Excessive DPC latency manifests as various audio glitching, including crackling.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2018 05:00

Same issue with speakers and headphones. :(

21 Posts

April 16th, 2018 12:00

Hi Richma,

I started to notice crackling sound on 5579 synchronized with disk activity.

Funny enough, I could hear disk activity with the ear from under the keyboard (it's a feeble crackling sound). This was happening identically on another 5579 I bought, so I really don't think there was anything faulty.

I can definitely say that the sound is the same: I can hear it synchronized when I do a skype call to another pc in the same room. The sound is intermittent and comes and goes (it's linked to disk I/O after all...)

Really don't know what to think. Thought it was worth sharing.

Best

CB

April 18th, 2018 21:00

I've already done that before posting, and I actually did it now, and although the crackling moments has decreased, they still come and go. Less than before, but still there.

I've noticed that when I unplug the laptop from the AC adaptor, all of this crackling sounds is gone. All of them. They never sound if the laptop is running on battery. If it's on battery, music sounds great as expected, at both speakers and headphones. As soon as I plug in the AC adaptor, crackling sounds start coming.

DPC scan is actually always yellow, it gets up and red when plugging and unplugging the AC adaptor.

I'm actually waiting to stop using this computer for a while so I can send it to service, I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the AC adaptor or grounding.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2018 10:00

I hope that this incredibly annoying crackle and pop audio issue is given very serious analysis by Dell soon. I, too, have this exact issue on my brand new Dell 5570. Unlike many owners of this very fine laptop, I have paid to have it upgraded to the max for my video editing and animation production work, bringing my total cost to well over $2k, not including the even more expensive software packages installed, so I am dearly hoping this issue is resolved. I do not want to have to return this laptop, if at all possible. I have just begun installing all of my software, after Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit did all of its upgrades. I wish you luck, manimecker, for your (our) issue being corrected soon.

I had, initially, believed the crackling and popping was due to audio/video streamng issues or compression problems, or poor recordings, or limited to specific websites and apps, but I have tried tracking the issue down, even going so far as to open the laptop case and seeing if the built-in speakers were torn or damaged or if there were loose wires, but nothing of that sort was found. All device drivers from Microsoft and Realtek have been installed, but still without elimination of those sounds.

Thankfully, I do not use the built-in speakers for any professional work that I present to clients. I have Bluetooth-connected speakers and quality headsets, as well as excellent plug-in speakers and headsets at my disposal. I have NOT noticed the same crackling and popping, however, when using external speakers and headsets -- it only occurs on the built-in speakers of my new Dell 5570.

I edited my original post from an hour ago to add that I tested out the audio with the power cable plugged in vs. having it unplugged...and got the same results as you did. The crackling and popping completely disappear when the power is unplugged and it returns immediately when I plug the laptop back into power. Could this be a grounding issue or some kind of electrical issue with the components inside of the Dell 5570?

Whatever is causing this, it is very upsetting that my brand new Dell laptop has these audio issues. I can no longer recommend Dell laptops and desktop PCs to others due to this problem and the lack of an immediate resolve of it, unfortunately. Others at the office have been very eager to get my overall opinion of this model 5570 as they are, obviously, in the same business as myself. I have owned several Dell laptops/notebooks and desktop computers over the past 20+ years, and I still have a few of them for home and the office, but this is the second big disappointment I have experienced from Dell and their products in the last few years.

21 Posts

April 24th, 2018 12:00

hi @darylwilson@and hi @manimecker

I'm sorry to have to share frustration and nothing more. I continue asking myself what I (we) have paid for.

It should be illegal or at least punishable to commercialize such a system.

Instead, in my case, I've got tech support shutting my ticket because "the only option is a guarantee repair" (on a new laptop).

I've had my problems with vendors along years, but nothing that resembled so much a scam.

Best

CB

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 24th, 2018 16:00

"the only option is a guarantee repair"

And of course the warranty only covers hardware failure, so probably no joy with that. The rub is that if Dell knew how to "fix" it, there wouldn't be the problem in the first place. This is why I advise people who get one of these laptops with a noise issue to return it for a refund during the return period, because after that expires you might just own the problem.

21 Posts

April 25th, 2018 06:00

Yes Jim, thank you and you're perfectly right.

But the fact that the trouble seems model-wise and not single-laptop-wise is something for which Dell is liable.

We are talking about basics of design here (hear a sound, record a sound...)

I sent back my first laptop, and for the second the tech support never offered me the option, just proposed "a guarantee repair" until the return was no longer an option (10 days in my country).

The sum of all these things goes beyond what should be legal in my opinion.

CB

May 30th, 2018 12:00

It seems we have the same laptop, did you have any luck with it? I haven't contacted support for a replacement or fix because right now I'm using too much my laptop to send it for a couple of weeks, but eventually I will do it.

It must be an isolation electrical issue, because it only happens when plugged in with the AC adapter.

I hope they find a real solution for this soon.

11 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 11:00

I hate to tell you guys, but this tends to happen when you have the power adapter plugged in on almost every laptop. It has to do with grounding. This might not happen if you use an audio interface (USB). It has to do with the way the laptops motherboards are made in that you are basically hearing the electrical current of the charger going to the battery. It might even stop sometimes if it's fully charged. 

Also, I feel this tends to happen with cheaper and/or lower powered headphones, because as of typing this on my 5577 which isn't too far off in specs and using a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones, I hear no electrical current sounds. However, if for example using iPhone headphones or headset headphones, I get interference, and I would assume it's because of the headset acting as an external antennae.

21 Posts

June 5th, 2018 10:00

Hi @HelgenX
I must say I have this problem indifferently when power is plugged or not.

I can experience this on heavy load, and especially when using microphone + webcam, which could still be grounding but well... it's simply a crappy product to me, in design or production or both (I've posted a frequency analysis to the tech support about this fact... obviously ignored).

3 Posts

July 10th, 2018 06:00

I inadvertently came to this forum when researching the same problem with my Inspiron 15 7000 before getting to the right forum for my model. The solution that worked for those of us that have the 15 7000 was to delete a piece of pre-installed software called Smartbyte. It's a networks dynamic bandwidth manager I'm told, but if you've got a home wi-fi network you can do without it (and I've had no network problems since deleting it).

I don't know if it's resident or is pre-installed on the 5570, but if it is you might want to give it a try. You can uninstall it from from 'Programs and Features' in the Control Panel, but that only gets rid of some of the software - which reduced but didn't eliminate the problem in my case. You have to go into the 'Start' menu and look for the folder named 'Rivet' or 'Rivet Networks' and delete the contents there too.

Hope that works for you.

No Events found!