carlo.bono
1 Nickel

Re: Inspiron 5570 with crackling sound on both speakers and headphones

hi @darylwilson@and hi @manimecker

I'm sorry to have to share frustration and nothing more. I continue asking myself what I (we) have paid for.

It should be illegal or at least punishable to commercialize such a system.

Instead, in my case, I've got tech support shutting my ticket because "the only option is a guarantee repair" (on a new laptop).

I've had my problems with vendors along years, but nothing that resembled so much a scam.

Best

CB

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

"the only option is a guarantee repair"

And of course the warranty only covers hardware failure, so probably no joy with that. The rub is that if Dell knew how to "fix" it, there wouldn't be the problem in the first place. This is why I advise people who get one of these laptops with a noise issue to return it for a refund during the return period, because after that expires you might just own the problem.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
carlo.bono
1 Nickel

Yes Jim, thank you and you're perfectly right.

But the fact that the trouble seems model-wise and not single-laptop-wise is something for which Dell is liable.

We are talking about basics of design here (hear a sound, record a sound...)

I sent back my first laptop, and for the second the tech support never offered me the option, just proposed "a guarantee repair" until the return was no longer an option (10 days in my country).

The sum of all these things goes beyond what should be legal in my opinion.

CB

0 Kudos
manimecker
1 Nickel

Re: Inspiron 5570 with crackling sound on both speakers and

It seems we have the same laptop, did you have any luck with it? I haven't contacted support for a replacement or fix because right now I'm using too much my laptop to send it for a couple of weeks, but eventually I will do it.

It must be an isolation electrical issue, because it only happens when plugged in with the AC adapter.

I hope they find a real solution for this soon.

0 Kudos
HelgenX
1 Nickel

I hate to tell you guys, but this tends to happen when you have the power adapter plugged in on almost every laptop. It has to do with grounding. This might not happen if you use an audio interface (USB). It has to do with the way the laptops motherboards are made in that you are basically hearing the electrical current of the charger going to the battery. It might even stop sometimes if it's fully charged. 

Also, I feel this tends to happen with cheaper and/or lower powered headphones, because as of typing this on my 5577 which isn't too far off in specs and using a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones, I hear no electrical current sounds. However, if for example using iPhone headphones or headset headphones, I get interference, and I would assume it's because of the headset acting as an external antennae.

0 Kudos
carlo.bono
1 Nickel

Hi @HelgenX
I must say I have this problem indifferently when power is plugged or not.

I can experience this on heavy load, and especially when using microphone + webcam, which could still be grounding but well... it's simply a crappy product to me, in design or production or both (I've posted a frequency analysis to the tech support about this fact... obviously ignored).

0 Kudos
Timbo2
1 Copper

I inadvertently came to this forum when researching the same problem with my Inspiron 15 7000 before getting to the right forum for my model. The solution that worked for those of us that have the 15 7000 was to delete a piece of pre-installed software called Smartbyte. It's a networks dynamic bandwidth manager I'm told, but if you've got a home wi-fi network you can do without it (and I've had no network problems since deleting it).

I don't know if it's resident or is pre-installed on the 5570, but if it is you might want to give it a try. You can uninstall it from from 'Programs and Features' in the Control Panel, but that only gets rid of some of the software - which reduced but didn't eliminate the problem in my case. You have to go into the 'Start' menu and look for the folder named 'Rivet' or 'Rivet Networks' and delete the contents there too.

Hope that works for you.

0 Kudos
kostas72
1 Copper

hello, i have the same problem with my audio after updating and reinstalling my audio driver. does smartbyte have to do anything with this?

0 Kudos
Timbo2
1 Copper

I actually have an update to this... bear with me though, it's a bit involved. I had a Dell Technician remotely log onto my laptop when I asked about audio cracking, and the first (only) thing they did was to open the Device Manager, go to Sound, video and game controllers (or equivalent on your machine), open the sub-menu items by clicking on the small down arrow, double click on High Definition Audio Device, click on the Driver tab, click Update Driver, click on Browse my computer for driver software, click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and then double click on High Definition Audio Device. You'll get a warning dialogue that says 'Installing this device driver is not recommended because... etc'. Now obviously, taking this sort of advice from an anonymous post on a bulletin board is risky, and I can't prove my credentials, but it worked for me when the Dell Tech did it. What I found though was that another piece of pre-installed third-party software 'Waves MAXX Audio' was de-activated. This lessened the dynamic range of my sound but that's what was causing the crackle. Another thing to note was that I was running speakers out of the 3.5mm headphone jack, which is designed to run headphones not speakers (hence the headphone icon next to it). Get a Bluetooth adapter for your speakers and run them off that. I got a Logitech Bluetooth Audio Receiver for A$47 and it works a charm, is more convenient ‘cos it’s not plugged into the headphone jack and, more importantly - no crackling!

0 Kudos
Rough44
1 Copper

I have the same issue with my brand new 5570!  I called Dell and they tried everything to fix it including downloading a version from their store but that did not work either.  I am beginning to see a pattern with this computer and its audio.  Very disappointed!  

0 Kudos