Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

June 1st, 2020 07:00

Inspiron 5579 2-in-1 random shutdown since upgrading SSD

Hi,

I upgraded my laptop a couple of months ago from the stock 500Gb SSD to a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500 model CT1000MX500SSD1). Since doing this upgrade, I'm finding that my laptop will random turn off. It's not a clean shutdown or a BSOD, it just goes off and won't switch back on for a good few minutes. Sometimes it will go days without any issues and other times it will do it multiple times in a row, even at first swtich on, after a few minutes.

I've looked in Event Viewer and nothing is jumping out to something happening prior to it going off.

I've done some googling and tried a few suggestions, like changing power management to prevent the drive being turned off, disabling SpeedStep in the BIOS. I've rechecked connections to the drive as well as memory seating incase i disturbed something and all look OK.

Just wondering if anyone may be able to offer any suggestions on how to figure out what is causing the issue and a potential fix?

Thanks,

Mark

4 Posts

October 14th, 2021 08:00

I think I am having the same issue.  Did you ever resolve it?  

2 Posts

October 14th, 2021 21:00

Hi,

Yes, it turned out to be the fan controller that wasn't turning the fan on and the CPU was overheating - I managed to resolve it by making use of this excellent tool, which I run from a batch file on start-up and it's been working ever since (I'm replying from it now).

Good luck.

No Events found!