Goose25
1 Copper

Inspiron 5675 HDD to SSD

I recently purchased an Inspiron 5675 with a 1tb HDD and I'm trying to add a Samsung 850 250gb SSD as my main drive to run windows. 

The SSD has been reformatted on my previous PC and physically installed in my new PC, now the fun part begins.

Firstly i went into bios to see if it would recognize the new SSD and also to see how i would be changing the boot sequence once the OS was installed onto the SSD. It wasnt as simple as i though because of the uefi bios and would need to disable "secure boot" in order to change the boot sequence. Ive found several posts about this issue and I'm pretty sure i have that part covered.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is how to get my windows 10 OS (product key and all) installed on my SDD?

To my understanding, i have two options; clone the HDD onto the SSD or perform a clean install of windows on the SSD. I think a clean install would be the better of the two options but i may be wrong?

What are my options here and how do i go about doing this?

7 Replies
Ivy li
1 Nickel

Re: Inspiron 5675 HDD to SSD

I agree with your option. the clean install is a greater way. there is no problem that your computer won't boot from the cloned hard drive or SSD. 

To clean install the operating system, you need to create an installation disk first. then, see below

Step 1. Plug in your USB flash drive

Step 2. Set boot priority to USB flash drive via BIOS, then restart your computer and press any key to boot from USB flash drive.

Step 3. Wait for Windows 10 installation files to load

Step 4. Click Install now after you set up language and other preference.

Step 5. Accept the license terms and click Next.

Step 6. Select Windows 10 installation type: Custom

Custom Install Windows 10

Step 7. Click Drive Options.

Step 8. Delete system partition and other operating system related partition, then select the unallocated space to install your Windows.

Note: If the system partition is big enough to install Windows 10 64 bit, you do not need to delete system partition and other operating system related partition. You can use the existing system partition to clean install your Windows. At last, you will get a folder called Windows.old on your system partition. It’s used to save your previous Windows.

Step 9. Wait for the final result.

after that, the clean install is completed. you can disable secure boot if needed.

0 Kudos
gracken
1 Copper

I don't know if you already went through with it, but I recently upgraded my uncle-in-laws laptop with an ssd. A Toshiba Satellite with a second generation i5 processor.

I followed this guide:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ssd-upgrade-tutorial

Following the instructions to the letter, it worked like a charm. No need to reinstall any software.

It runs sooo much faster. Way more than a memory upgrade would have done. Really give it a thumbs up.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

You don’t have to disable Secure Boot to edit the boot order, but you also don’t have to manually change the boot order beforehand. Once your SSD actually has a bootable environment on it, the system will detect it and add it as a boot option, then you can rearrange the boot order.

The fastest way to do this migration is to use a tool like Macrium Reflect Free. Install it, then run a clone from your HDD to your SSD right there within Windows. Then reboot and make sure you end up booting off your SSD afterward, maybe even remove the HDD temporarily to force that. If you really want to do a clean install, then download the appropriate Windows version from Microsoft (Google “Download Windows 10 ISO” for example) then install Windows to the SSD, but then you have to do everything else involved with a clean install. Windows will automatically activate because your system will already be registered with Microsoft as entitled to a digital license, no product key required.
0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

You don’t have to disable Secure Boot to edit the boot order, but you also don’t have to edit the boot order manually. UEFI works by storing paths to bootloader files in its firmware, either manually entered by the user or automatically discovered. A new entry will appear for your SSD once the SSD has a bootable environment on it, although it too will be named “Windows Boot Manager”, so it will be tricky to differentiate, although there’s a way around that.

In terms of migrating to the SSD, the easiest way is to download Macrium Reflect Free and run a clone right there within Windows from your HDD to your SSD. Then reboot your system and press F12 while it starts in order to force it to boot from the SSD. At that point if all goes well, you can wipe the HDD to avoid boot confusion and repurpose it as a data drive.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jameske87
1 Nickel

I have a samsung 970 evo (250gb) ssd that I used samsung migration software to clone windows 10 onto. But, it's still not recognized, except in BIOS. Due to the UEFI I can't figure out how to make it my main drive. I went into boot options via f12 and chose the ssd and I think I'm currently running on it, but it still doesn't even show up in "this pc". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you can't tell, I'm a beginner. Haha 

0 Kudos
Buzz635
1 Nickel

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/G5-Not-Booting-from-NVME-Drive/td-p/6201270

Had a very similar problem installing my Samsung 960 pro and getting windows to boot on it. Here is the link to that thread. Hope it can help.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

@Jameske87 wrote:

I have a samsung 970 evo (250gb) ssd that I used samsung migration software to clone windows 10 onto. But, it's still not recognized, except in BIOS. Due to the UEFI I can't figure out how to make it my main drive. I went into boot options via f12 and chose the ssd and I think I'm currently running on it, but it still doesn't even show up in "this pc". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you can't tell, I'm a beginner. Haha 

I'm not sure how you think you could be running off an SSD that you can't even see under This PC.  If you booted into Windows from the 970 Evo, then at the very least the C drive you would have to see in This PC would refer to a partition on the 970.  But if you still have the original source drive connected, you may want to disconnect it temporarily to absolutely confirm that you're running off the 970 Evo.  I've also seen some threads where some people have found that booting once while only the destination disk is connected allows the system to boot from that device normally going forward, even if you reconnect the source drive later.

0 Kudos