Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

May 26th, 2019 13:00

Inspiron 5759 Possible Battery Issue...how to test?

My Inspiron 5759 may have a battery issue, I'm not sure how to test it. 

Plugged in to my power, the battery indicator says "Fully Charged 100%." Yet, when I unplug the computer, the indicator drops immediately to zero and the computer shuts down. 

One would expect, when plugging back in, the indicator to show no charge, but charging, but instead, it reads at 100% again. 

How do I test to see if this is the battery or some other issue? 

Thanks! 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community  @rhodesmk 

Diagnostics Support for Inspiron 5759:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-17-5759-laptop/diagnose

Try the "Custom Component Test" first.

Best regards,

U2

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

If you have never replaced the battery and the laptop is over 2 years old, that could be the problem. A genuine Dell replacement battery is required.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-40-whr-4-cell-primary-lithium-ion-battery/apd/453-bbbp/pc-accessories

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

May 26th, 2019 20:00

I ran the batter-only diagnostic under "custom," no issues found.

I then ran the full diagnostic (10 minute version), still no issued found. 

Ugh! 

Thanks for the advice, but it's a no-go.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 27th, 2019 05:00

@rhodesmk 

Yes a battery replacement may be needed, but that would be the last thing to do.

Update these drivers first:

Intel Chipset Driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=5cptn&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-17-5759-laptop

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7cdg2&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-17-5759-laptop

Reboot:

Then go to "Device Manager"

Click on "Batteries"

Uninstall "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery"

Reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver.

Regards,

U2

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

May 27th, 2019 08:00

Before I try this, my Dell update app and my Intel Driver and Support Assistant app both say all my drivers are up-to-date (there were three driver updates yesterday). Should I still try to update the particular drivers you mention, or just go to the "Device Manager" steps that you outlined? 

Thanks! 

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

May 27th, 2019 09:00

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens. :-) 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 27th, 2019 09:00

@rhodesmk 

Yes please try the updates.

If they are older you should be notified and can decline to install.

REBOOT:

Then go to "Device Manager"

Regards,

U2

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

May 27th, 2019 10:00

Followed your steps. Once I was done, I unplugged the power cord from the computer and watched the battery indicator: 

• Began with 95%, 2 hours 37 minutes left
  • 1 minute later, 93%, 1 hour 25 minutes left
  • 1 minute later, 92%, 1 hour 45 minutes left
  • 3 minutes later, 90%, 1 hour left

I know I use power faster than some, as I like a bright screen, and don't have any of the battery savers turned on in settings. With that in mind, does this appear "normal?" I is taking longer to drain than before, just not sure if it's a typical drain amount. 

Thanks! 

25 Posts

May 27th, 2019 11:00

Hi @rhodesmk You can check the battery report. Follow the steps in this link https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/generate-battery-report-windows-10 and perhaps you can take a screenshot and post it here so that I can help you determine the status of your battery. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 27th, 2019 11:00

@rhodesmk 

That does seem to discharge quickly???

Last thing to try would be to allow the battery to drop below 40%.

Then plug back in and allow to fully charge.

Then unplug and monitor the discharge rate again.

Regards,

U2 

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

May 27th, 2019 19:00

It's a long report. It would take several screen shots. Is there a particular section that would be most beneficial for you to look over? 

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

May 27th, 2019 19:00

I'll try that next weekend. I won't have time during the work week.

Thanks, 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 27th, 2019 20:00

@rhodesmk 

@rhodesmk wrote:

Followed your steps. Once I was done, I unplugged the power cord from the computer and watched the battery indicator: 

• Began with 95%, 2 hours 37 minutes left
  • 1 minute later, 93%, 1 hour 25 minutes left
  • 1 minute later, 92%, 1 hour 45 minutes left
  • 3 minutes later, 90%, 1 hour left

I know I use power faster than some, as I like a bright screen, and don't have any of the battery savers turned on in settings. With that in mind, does this appear "normal?" I is taking longer to drain than before, just not sure if it's a typical drain amount. 

Thanks! 

What was the drainage of the battery after the discharge and recharge???

Did the batteries indicator rate of discharge change after discharging the battery to less than 40% and then recharging to 100%???

Regards.

U2

105 Posts

May 28th, 2019 02:00

You can try to find another Dell charger. If this is still the problem, the battery may be permanent and not stored.

25 Posts

May 28th, 2019 03:00

@rhodesmk wrote:

It's a long report. It would take several screen shots. Is there a particular section that would be most beneficial for you to look over? 

The "Installed Battery" & " Recent Usage ". 

No Events found!