Highlighted

Inspiron 5770 unexpectedly powers off

My Inspiron 5770 will randomly power itself off, as if the processor is overheated. 

I have run both ePSA and Dell online diagnostics and no problems are found.

The shutdown typically happens when I am using Audacity software, but it has also happened when using iTunes, Firefox, or even once when the machine was just booting up.  This used to happen occasionally (maybe once a month) but now it is happening more frequently, twice a week or more, making the machine virtually useless.

The BIOS and all drivers are up-to-date.

For a machine only 15 months old, this thing sure broke down quickly.  Meanwhile, my 20-year old Toshiba laptop still runs fine.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Inspiron 5770 instantly powers off

Johnny Hawthorn,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

0 Kudos
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Germanium

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Johnny Hawthorn 

Have you checked the  Event Log???

How to Read Shutdown and Restart Event Logs in Windows: 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/78335-read-shutdown-logs-event-viewer-windows.html

Best regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
0 Kudos

Thanks to your suggestion I checked the event log.  The only log item I found in relation to the abrupt power-off is when I power the computer back on. 

Event detail:  The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event source:  Kernel-Power

Event ID:  41

I checked the log for events that occurred previous to an Event ID 41 and cannot find anything out of the ordinary.  Keeping in mind I am not a expert at such diagnoses and wouldn't know what to look for.

0 Kudos