Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 14th, 2018 05:00

Inspiron 7000 15 gaming laptop random shutdown

So I've posted about, and read about this pos laptop and the widespread problem this (and several other similar models) laptop continues to have with randomly shutting down. Originally the problem only occurred when running on battery, it seemed to not randomly shut down on ac power.

I've now sent it back THREE times for repair and am now about to send it in for a 4th time

The first time, after "fixing" the problem (they replaced some internal wire). It came back WORSE, it no longer worked AT ALL unless plugged into the a/c outlet.

Visit #2 to the repair center, unit came back this time they replaced the battery. The original problem is still occurring. Sent the unit back AGAIN.

Received the unit back, well they fixed the problem they created on visit #2, the unit runs on batter and/or ac, but the original problem of randomly shutting down still persists. (AND they must have rested a soldering iron or some heated item on the palmrest as there was a indentation that looked like something melted on it)

Visit#3 - Received the unit back - they replaced the "main logic board". Not sure if that's new term for motherboard, I would guess no, since the last rep on the phone had told me if they replace the motherboard I'd lose all my data (which is fine, I've had this laptop since December 24 and have hardly used it). but it came back with my settings and browser info intact. The unit came back not only STILL with the random shutdown problem, but now it shuts down whether or not it is on battery or ac power.

So now as I stated I'm on the verge of sending my brand new laptop back to Dell a FOURTH time and have zero confidence this will be fixed. This on top of a having spent over five hours time over several calls to tech support with them installing stuff, flashing the bios, testing, etc..

So despite my rant, I wonder if anyone knows what recourse I have at this point? It's past the date I can return the unit and Dell clearly either A) doesn't know how to fix the problem, or B) doesn't know how to fix the problem.

Is there a corporate office I can contact? I've spoken to a supervisor (so she said she was) and politely BEGGED her to ensure this unit be fixed. But of course, that didn't happen.

I'll keep sending it back every 2 weeks if I have to while I use my daughters 4 year old Gateway . I'm at the point I'm ready to just chalk up the $600 bucks as a loss and look for a laptop (obviously NOT a Dell) that actually works.

SO sick of this. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

24 Posts

March 28th, 2018 22:00

Great community! Thanks for the zero replies!

55 Posts

March 28th, 2018 23:00

Because we don't know what to do.

The only persons that can help you is Dell Support. In Germany, there is a law that you can require a new replacement if after 3 repairs the product still doesn't work. Don't know how it is where you live.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 29th, 2018 04:00

Thank you for your message. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused & for the delayed response.

I will look into this on priority. For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

1 Message

June 29th, 2018 17:00

I am having the same issue it shuts down randomly, whether or not its plugged into the AC outlet.  Has a fix been found that I can't find on these forums?  I am still under warranty at the moment but I am hoping this will be something I don't have to go through all the trouble of sending it in and being with out a laptop for the time it takes to fix.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2018 00:00

I am in the same boat.

I have checked the bios messages and they state "software request to shutdown". Not sure which software program is doing it though....any help would be appreciated.

Laptop is mostly used with ac power cobencted

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 25th, 2018 05:00

Did you get a chance to check event viewer to see if there is any error updated?

Please share an image of the ‘software request to shutdown’ screen along with the service tag registered name & email address on a private message.

December 3rd, 2021 09:00

I've been having the same issue every single day. Even two times a day. I'm working on my thesis and it's becoming very annoying. 

No Events found!