Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2018 06:00

Inspiron 7347 HD - SSD swap

Good morning!

My Inspiron HDD is in bad shape (as I was told by Dell website diagnostics tool) and I´m planning to install a 500+ GB SSD.

Question is: which kind of SSD will be compatible with my machine (Inspiron 7347)? A SATA one would be, isn´t it? But, what about a PCiE, or M2 or whatever other connection available?

As you can see, I´m a newbie in SSD related issues (I´m googling and reading, but...) so any input, as detailed as you wish, will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

April 6th, 2018 07:00

Your only option for this model is a 2.5" SATA SSD - there is no support for M.2 in this model.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 6th, 2018 08:00

If you don't have an M.2 slot, then buy a Samsung 860 Evo in 2.5" SATA form factor and call it a day.  Also note that SATA is technically a protocol, not a form factor, and M.2 is a form factor, not an protocol, so you're mixing and matching different types of terms.  That's understandable for a newbie, but the reason this matters is that all of the following SSD types exist:

- 2.5" SATA (what you have now)
- M.2 SATA (M.2 card that interfaces with the system over SATA protocol)
- M.2 NVMe/PCIe (M.2 card that interfaces with the system over NVMe/PCIe protocol. Some systems with M.2 slots only support SATA, not NVMe/PCIe.)

There's also an mSATA form factor that's shorter and wider than an M.2 card and interfaces with the system over SATA, but that standard didn't last long because M.2 has since taken over.

April 10th, 2018 11:00

Thank you very much, to both of you! This settled the matter!

1 Message

January 22nd, 2019 08:00

Hi, i'm looking for upgrading my hdd to sata ssd on my dell inspiron 7347. I've checked with dell customer care regarding the compatibility and the answer i got is that i can go only upto 256 GB SATA SSD and anything more than that wouldn't be supported for my model. Can you please help me if the size matters when SATA SSD is compatible with my model?

No Events found!