Highlighted
TalD
Bronze

Inspiron 7373 2-in-1 - no battery present

Hi,

Just un-boxed a brand NEW Dell Inspiron 7373 2-in-1 I purchased at Best Buy earlier this week.

Plugged in the charger and turn on the new laptop.

After setting Windows I got the Desktop screen - there I notices "X" on the battery icon and a message - "No Battery Present".

Restarted the laptop.

Reset Windows.

NO solution :-(

Do you have ideas for solving this annoying issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

Re: Inspiron 7373 2-in-1 - no battery present

Take the system back to Best Buy and have them exchange it for a working system.

0 Kudos
TalD
Bronze

Unfortunately, this is not an option.

I live outside of the US. yesterday came back home from the US.

I read that updating the BIOS drive might fix the problem.

Failed updating the BIOS as the system requres a minimum level of 10% of battery and wire connection.

As the computer doesn't identify the battery ("no battery present") the attempts to updated the BIOS failed.

Additional ideas?

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

DO NOT update the BIOS with a dead or unrecognized battery - not only will it not help, you can easily wind up with a dead system.

One of two components is bad - either the battery (better case) or the mainboard (worse case).  You'll need to find out what warranty service you have in your location (transferring the warranty requires an upgrade to onsite service, which is about $200 after purchase).

0 Kudos
TalD
Bronze

Thanks for your support.

I checked the warranty online.

According to my laptop’s service tag, “mail in Service” started on October 30, 2017 and expires on January 29, 2019.

I purchased the laptop in Best Buy (WI) last Sunday (March 4, 2018) – why warranty doesn’t match purchase date?

You have stated that transferring the warranty requires an upgrade to onsite service, which is about $200 after purchase.

Can I purchase it on-line? Do you know if the onsite service upgrade will also be honored in Israel? Can you provide the link? 

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Until you register the system, the warranty will reflect the date the system was shipped to Best Buy (or its distributor - Ingram Micro, etc.).  

Transferring a warranty to Israel, as I recall, is dealer-dependent.  Dell does not have a corporate support presence there -- all service/support/sales are through authorized dealers.  I'd contact a local shop that sells Dell systems to see what they say (be prepared for them to tell you they won't support what they don't sell, in which case you face the very real possibility that the system will need to be returned to Best Buy or Dell USA for repair).

The warranty transfer requirements:

1.  The system must be sold in Israel - if it's not, no transfer.

2.  The warranty must be upgraded to onsite service (check with the local dealer about this possibility).

3.  You must register the system with Dell.

0 Kudos
TalD
Bronze

Again, thanks for the support.

I did register my laptop – at the end of the on-line registration I got a message that  it takes 7-10 days for registration (?) I can't see my new lap top in my DELL on-line account.

I did call DELL US yesterday. They also told me to contact Best Buy.

Do you know how can I contact Best Buy regarding this problem?

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

They're not going to be able to help internationally.  I'd suggest the best course of action is to ship the system to someone in the USA and have them take it to a Best Buy for repair.

Even if you transfer ownership to Israel, you'll then need to find a dealer that will support the system - which most, if they're not the seller, will likely not do (and that all assumes the system model is sold in Israel;  if it's not, parts won't be available).

0 Kudos
TalD
Bronze

Wanted to have your opinion regarding this solution that I have seen in several variations in YouTube.

1. Power OFF the laptop
  2. Disconnect the external power
  3. Disconnect the battery (after disassembling the rear cover)
  4. Press and hold down the turn ON button for 30 sec.
  5. Connect external power and power ON the laptop
  6. Go to “This PC”/”Device Manager”/”Batteries” and uninstall the 2 drivers under the “Batteries” folder
  7. Power OFF the laptop
  8. Connect the battery
  9. Power On the laptop
  10. Windows shall reinstall the "Batteries" deleted 

Do you think this might work?

Thanks for your kind support

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Before going through that, does setup (F2 at powerup) recognize the battery?

If it doesn't, no amount of driver installation is going to solve the issue - it's a hardware fault.

If the setup DOES recognize the battery, there's no harm in trying that.

0 Kudos