mret
1 Copper

Inspiron 7386 2-in-1 LOUD FAN WITH NO APPLICATIONS RUNNING

I've been having fan issues every since I got the laptop. The fan is intermittently running high and loud even though I don't have any applications open. I just let my laptop sit on my table and the fan will start running high out of nowhere. I made sure nothing is blocking the vents.

I looked around the Dell's driver page and updated all my drivers. My bios is 1.1.0 which was the latest version last time I checked. However, the issue persists.

I downloaded a tool to monitor the CPU temperature and the cores intermittently went up to 50-60C with only the monitoring tool application open. There is also some coil whine.

How do I fix this issue?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: Inspiron 7386 2-in-1 LOUD FAN WITH NO APPLICATIONS RUNNI

Assuming the system is under warranty, I would call Dell Tech Support. The coil whine problem cannot be fixed by anything you can do. And with the additional fan noise, a tech can help you decide on the next course of action.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos

Re: Inspiron 7386 2-in-1 LOUD FAN

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused, I will be glad to assist you with this.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
mkorns
1 Copper

I bought this computer today and am having the same issue.  Is there a known solution?

0 Kudos

Hi mkorns,

Do you hear the fan noise only in a quiet environment or a busy environment like public space or when there is music in the background?

Please share audio of the fan noise.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find service tag.

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support

0 Kudos
Alexren
1 Copper

I have the same problems and while I was searching on the internet I saw many others. I bought an inspiron 7386 2 on 1 online from dell and from the first day I had many issues. The fan was working continuously and very loud without even using the laptop. Some times the laptop was so warm that I almost couldn't  touch it. I checked the temperature with the coretemp and it was working between  70-85% most of the time. Second problem was that I while I was closing the laptop and the remaining battery was around 60-70% the next morning was 0% and I had to charge it again. I contact with dell service and i ask them to replace the laptop. The new laptop arrived yesterday and it has the same issue with the fan( working continuously , making loud and it is very warm) and also I notice another thing, the screen has different colour than the previous , its more yellow (I still have the faulty- previous laptop because nobody came to collect it, so I can compare the 2 screens). I am really disappointed from Dell. Of course I will ask for my money back and I will never buy or recommend a Dell product to anyone.

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Out of Warranty Support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lifestone
1 Copper

Hi Alexren,

I am interested in the battery symptom you mentioned.  Did you have Hibernate After set except Never (both On battery and Plugged in)?  If you did not see it, you need to enable Hibernate in advance.  This way either adaptive hibernate (Windows will enter hibernate (S4) whenever the battery power is drained about 5% during modern standby (Sleep)) or Hibernate timer will function and prevent the symptom from happening to stop battery drain.

If you did have hibernate enabled and timer set, then you may want to check the activities while the notebook is in modern standby by using powercfg /spr (Windows built-in tool).  Let me know if this helps.

PS. Your notebook supports modern standby instead of the traditional S3.  I recommend you searching "windows modern standby" and look for Microsoft Docs for the details.

Cheers.

lifestone

0 Kudos
smi25810
1 Copper

Hi, 

I bought a Dell Inspirion 7386 yesterday and have already experienced issues with the fan and battery. What was your course of action with this problem? Did Dell Tech support help, or did you purchase another laptop? If either, I would greatly appreciate some advice on getting this problem fixed, or with buying another laptop that does not experience these types of issues. 

Thank you, 

Alec 

0 Kudos

Hi Alec,

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience surrounding your new order. I will be glad to assist you with this.

Please share a brief on the fan & battery issue. Is there a fan noise or is it always spinning?

What is the BIOS version installed & the status of the AC adapter & battery in BIOS?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Out of Warranty Support

0 Kudos