Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

April 13th, 2019 11:00

Inspiron 7386, battery indicator

Good evening, I don't know if it's a common problem, but since I bought the pc, the battery life indicator has never been reliable on the estimated duration. Go from one hour to four hours in an incomprehensible way, using the PC in the same way. Is there a way to get more reliable and realistic estimates? Thank you

May 27th, 2019 01:00

Hi 

I also got 7386 and I find out that battery indicator in this machine is faulty, in my case I have random situation when I close lid of my laptop with battery 55% for example and when I wake up laptop 30min later battery shows critical 1%  but if I connect my charger briefly just for 1 second battery back to 55%. That actually happens  on random battery levels also even when computer is properly shut down not only sleep or hibernating. When battery shows critical 1% laptop operates for long time as real battery level is much greater. I was hoping that finally DELL fix that with BIOS update but so far no luck, also friend of mine got same machine and his laptop doing exactly the same thing. Looks like there is design fault I plan to contact with Dell before end of my warranty as this happens very often. 

25 Posts

May 27th, 2019 09:00

You can try updating Windows, driver and BIOS.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?app=driversl 

If you can share the battery report maybe we can check if the battery is faulty.

To get the battery report click here : https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/generate-battery-report-windows-10

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 27th, 2019 11:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @SprinterPL 

Three "Chipset" drivers need to be updated.

Intel Chipset Device Software Driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kk6c2&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-13-7386-2-in-1-laptop

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vrfjw&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-13-7386-2-in-1-laptop

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=64c9j&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-13-7386-2-in-1-laptop

Reboot:

Then go to "Device Manager"

Click on "Batteries"

Uninstall "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery"

Reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver.

Regards,

U2

May 27th, 2019 12:00

Thank You very much I keep this system up to date, but I did anyway all steps from you advice me, and I will let you know is that fix my problem but need probably few days for testing and make sure all works as should.

Regards

Thomas 

May 29th, 2019 02:00

Hi

After two days of hope unfortunately today same thing happens I leave laptop at 62% of battery and after 3 hours of sleep when I opened lid battery was at 1% but with just plug charger for 1 second battery level back to 61% . Soon  I need to ask DELL for warranty repair for that issue, overall I'm happy with that machine but battery indicator just drive me crazy

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 29th, 2019 03:00

@SprinterPL 

Sorry but there is not much more you can do.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?app=warranty

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 29th, 2019 06:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you if the system is under warranty

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.    

How to locate the service tag

1 Message

June 2nd, 2019 10:00

Hi, I'm in the same situation. Any news about a new BIOS release or some patch to solve this problem?

Thanks, 

Stefano 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 07:00

I am afraid, we do not have an update on a BIOS release yet.

If the system is under warranty I can assist you with this. If the system warranty has expired please reach out to the out of warranty team from this link

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

1 Message

September 1st, 2019 17:00

Hi, any one try the new BIOS release 1.6.0? Dell replaced the main board, the battery and the charger of my Inspiron 7386 2 in 1 laptop, but the failure already exists. I try reinstalling the OS but persists.

September 13th, 2019 23:00

I'm just after contact with DELL service and my laptop is going for repair, but they mention same thing as above battery replace motherboard and battery cable and I have feelings that not fix my problem,friend of mine got same laptop (by my recommendation shame on me) and his machine shows exactly same problem so I have suspicions that problem is with hardware design and replacing bad part with another bad part is a permanent not a fix (like apple with their butterfly keyboards) In other hand I spend two days home waiting for courier and my laptop is still with me, its a joke but that things build my confidence to change brand of my new machine and give a go for something else even after all this years with DELL. https://youtu.be/QobAtv0RfW0

1 Message

December 11th, 2019 20:00

Has this issue been resolved for anybody? I'm about to have a Dell technician repair my Inspiron for the second time for this issue. First time to replace the motherboard, now to change the battery (even though it doesn't sound like that's the cause of the problem). 

How many times will I need to have someone look at it before it becomes unreasonable? 

December 12th, 2019 00:00

Hi 

My laptop was twice at dell service and that didn't fix the issue personally I give up with this problem because I'm shortly buying new laptop and definitely it not be new Dell.

This battery problem seems to be pernament and probably is just bad design. Some people don't realise about it some live with it . What I find out is also related to the temperature when I collected computer after second repair it was working OK for about week but that was warm time when I got ones laptop outside (10°C) it again behaves weird even it has over 60% charge shows me 1%. Dell is not going to recognize the problem as that cost them money , technicians at service working like lemmings start diagnostic and follow what's pop up that's why they replacing possible faulty parts but  that can't fix ours problem. 

My advise forget about money you spend on this machine as sending it to Dell's repair is waste of time just when you get new computer make sure you give a try something else. 

Regards 

Thomas 

3 Posts

January 7th, 2020 07:00

Hi, I am not facing the same issue as you do however my problem is that battery is fully charged 100%, I am switching off the computer and going for the meeting, in cca 2-3h the battery is showing me i.e. 80-90%.  I've approched Dell support. they asked to perform some quality check etc but not errors at all. I am using the laptop for 1y already and I am really dissapointed with this product and with Dell support as well. Last but not least, I do not know how is it in your case, but the baterry life horrible comparing to even my old lenovo yoga. It was my first Dell product but unfortunately the last one..   

1 Message

February 11th, 2020 23:00

hi, this issue has been bothering me since i bought my machine.(6 months ago)

Unfortunately every time i contacted dell support, and i have contacted them alot regarding this, they just did the same set of diagnostic tests( reliability report, bios support assist checkup, bios battery health-excellent etc). they then said to update the bios to 1.6 . i did that to no avail. even did a full factory reset. 

now i dont know how to solve this issue. nothing seems to work. Dell support is just a recursive set of tasks that dont work. every time they do the same check up and nothing else. Any support is much appreciated.

P.S. this issue has nothing to do with weather. i live in india where the weather is hot, still this issue persists. it has only aggravated with time. 

No Events found!