AlexNitro44
1 Copper

Inspiron 7559 - Inconsistent GPU performance on battery

My Dell Inspiron 7559 seems to exhibit inconsistent GPU performance when under heavy GPU load on battery power. Furmark seems to cause it to happen most consistently, and attached is a comparison between running on battery and plugged in.Screenshot (88).pngFurmark on AC Power - Consistent performance and GPU clock

Screenshot (92).pngFurmark on battery, GPU clock switches between full turbo and idle every few seconds

This is not limited to Furmark: it seems that any game or application that produces a heavy GPU load causes clock and performance drops at varying intervals.  I am using BIOS version 1.2.7, and the latest GPU drivers from the Dell website. Does anyone have any ideas to stop this from happening?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Inspiron 7559 - Inconsistent GPU performance on battery

The battery cannot supply enough power to run the GPU at full speed - the system will slow down on battery; that's completely normal.  To run the GPU at full speed, AC power is required - that's pretty much for any notebook system.

0 Kudos
AlexNitro44
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 7559 - Inconsistent GPU performance on battery

I am well aware that the battery is unable to run the system at full speed - however, it shouldn't cause the system to spike between its maximum turbo speed and idle speed, causing frame drops into single digits. Ideally, I'd want a lower, more consistent performance level.

0 Kudos