Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2018 13:00

Inspiron 7559 lacking resolution option

I have an inspiron 7556 running windows 10. The laptop is stock aside from having an extra 8GB of ram. Awhile back the screen would just shut off while the computer was on. I sent it to Dell and from the list of work they did, it seems they practically rebuilt it. I havn't had any issues since.

Now I no longer have a 1920X1080 resolution option. My intel, nvidia, and windows drivers are all up to date. I do get the option to switch to 1920x1080 when I am sharing my screen to a tv or projector. The moment I stop sharing the option leaves. I wonder if this has to do with the only monitor driver installed is the Generic PnP monitor, but I don't see the option for any other monitor drivers on the dell support page. I am currently trying a format and reinstall of windows etc... I have a feeling this still won't work. Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

4 Posts

September 20th, 2018 05:00

Thank you, I was able to boot into the diagnostics (Fn) to discover that when Dell did the repairs on my machine they replaced my screen with a lower resolution. Since $240 is outrageous to pay to even talk to someone at Dell about this mess up. I am replacing the screen with the proper part. Thank you for your guidance, everyone.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 19th, 2018 13:00

Remember that laptops require Dell customized drivers and cannot use the Nvidia or Intel drivers obtained from their sites. Reinstall the customized drivers from Dell Support. 

4 Posts

September 19th, 2018 14:00

I have tried this with no luck. Is it possible when Dell repaired my PC that they replaced the HD screen with a 720p screen?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 19th, 2018 15:00

Check your setup screen (F2 at powerup).  It'll tell you what the resolution is.  If it shows 1366 X 768, that's HD, not FHD.

If it shows the correct FHD resolution, the problem is a driver -- not hardware.

No Events found!