Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MD

4 Posts

October 18th, 2019 09:00

Inspiron 7570 - How to upgrade the M2 SSD of 128g to a higher capacity 1TB

Windows 10 home - currently has 8g RAM and the 128g M2 Sata-2 with a regular SATA 1tb HDD. Bought two weeks ago from Best Buy.

* Machine is still "new" - I have my old laptop - I can "start from scratch", so I haven't bothered getting an M2 enclosure and using a software to "clone" the existing 128g M2 SSD into a new, larger one. (I have done that a few years back)

Changes I want to do (I have all the parts):

• Win10 Home to Pro (done) (I need RDP)
  • Ram to 32g w/Crucial DDR4-2400 (EZ todo)
  • Sata 1TB HDD replaced with a standard Sata 1TB SSD (took one on sale at Best Buy) (EZ todo)
  • M2 Sata 128g replaced with a Crucial M2 1tb SSD

I started with making a Recovery USB-key using Windows 10 (one with Home, another w/different key for Pro)

I removed the 1tb HDD, and swapped the 128g M2 Sata with the Crucial 1tb M2 Sata (it was cheap 140$Can).
Booted with the usb-key (Win10 Pro) and went into the BIOS. Bios "sees" the new M2.
Rebooted and tried the fully automated Restore Wizard...Nada...I get an error.

It seems that I need to "tell" the bios to boot off the new M2 Sata drive. This seems overly complicated.
Looking for help.

If I give up, I'll make the regular 1tb Sata SDD the boot drive, and make the M2 device the secondary. However, I like the challenge.

When I boot with the original M2 SSD of 128g and look in the BIOS, boot sequence, I see my Kensington USB-Key as first, and the 128g as the second boot device.

I have a feeling that I just need to get the BIOS to recognize the new M2 properly in the boot sequence, and then the Recovery USB key could take over...Maybe I have to go into DOS and play with the disk partition?

I haven't found a how-to guide on how to do this (here or Google) - upgrading a lower capacity boot M2 to a higher capacity, for a DELL Inspiron. There are some, but it's not detailed enough.

3 Posts

I’m having a similar issue as well. I did the recovery and it installed onto my hdd instead.  I may unplug the hdd and try the recovery. Then once done wipe out the hdd but at this point it’s trial and error 

Perhaps the 7570 doesn't support higher than 512g, which is why I'm having an issue?
The BIOS sees it.

Reference: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Insipiron-7573-and-Samsung-Evo-960-M2-SSD/m-p/6154311

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 18th, 2019 10:00

@Mark Derail  and @Spzy  if the BIOS sees it, then hardware support isn't your issue -- although Mark I'm not sure what you mean when you say you booted from your USB key and then went to the BIOS.  If you're going to the BIOS, you don't boot from anything else beforehand.  In any case, the system documentation that occasionally references a maximum supported capacity is typically based on the highest capacity that Dell ever shipped the system with and/or the highest capacity they actually tested.  There are MANY reported cases across many systems of users successfully installing storage with a higher capacity than was claimed to be supported.  The last time there was a hardware/firmware limitation on storage capacity was back in the Windows XP days where you needed SP1 and an updated BIOS in order to use "48-bit LBA addressing" to work with drives larger than (I think) 137 GB.

If you haven't already, if you want to just start from scratch, download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft using their Media Creation Tool rather than using Dell's recovery tool.  If you're worried about Dell-specific drivers and applications, you can later install Dell Update and Dell Digital Delivery (if you ordered paid applications with your system) to get those items back.  I've seen reported cases of Dell Recovery not working after swapping drives.  You also don't need separate USB keys for Windows 10 Home and Pro, at least when you download from Microsoft.  Both editions are available on the same installation media, in fact it's even possible to perform an in-place upgrade from Home to Pro on a running system.

And in any case, on UEFI systems, you don't configure your boot device upfront before you install an OS or perform a system recovery.  Unlike Legacy BIOS systems where you choose to boot to a specific device, on a UEFI system, the boot options for local storage are actually paths to a specific bootloader FILE on a specific partition of a specific disk.  Consequently, the OS installer (or recovery application) is responsible for registering the path to the correct bootloader file into the UEFI firmware as part of the installation routine.  This is why cloning disks on UEFI systems sometimes doesn't result in a bootable disk at first, especially if you cloned to your new disk while it was attached via USB -- but the good cloning applications (such as Macrium Reflect) have a bootable environment that contains a tool that will handle this registration afterward.  (If you're curious, it's still possible to boot from a USB device on a UEFI system without registering it because the UEFI spec defines a default bootloader file path of \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi, and if you access the one-time boot menu by tapping F12 during startup, the system will populate that list based on what it finds from scanning attached devices looking for that file.  But the "permanent" boot list in the BIOS that the system uses for normal booting doesn't work that way.)

3 Posts

October 18th, 2019 15:00

thanks @jphughan 

as for it installing onto the hdd and not ssd, is there a way to direct that or should I unplug my hdd?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 18th, 2019 18:00

@Spzy  I'm not sure since I've actually never used the Dell Restore tools that have been offered over the years.  I've always just wiped the drive and replaced the factory build with a clean install of Windows from generic Microsoft installation media, then manually installed the drivers and whatever applications I wanted.  But if I were going to try using the Dell Restore media, I personally would make sure only the drive I actually wanted to use for my OS was connected at the time.  Good luck!

October 18th, 2019 19:00

I'll clarify a few things. My attempt was to have two USB keys, one with the original system image w/Win10 Home.
After buying and installing Pro, I did another system image on a different USB key.

The system images were done using Win10's Recovery Drive App.

First attempt:  Swap out the 128g M2 with the Crucial 1tb M2, boot with the USB key. The Microsoft Recovery wizard has an option in Advanced to restart to BIOS. Which I did to "see" if the BIOS recognized the new M2, which it did.

Reboot to the USB key (the one with Pro) and then chose the automated system recovery. After nearly an hour at 29%, it jumped to 91% for a few minutes, then gave an error, saying that it had failed.

Rebooted, USB Key, Advanced, DOS, looked to see if the drive was mounted, no C: drive. Went into DISK to list the partitions, they are there and sized properly (Win10 recovery did a decent job).

Tried a restore again from the USB key, failed, rebooted, retried (failed). Then started to see if anything could be done in the BIOS.

All this was done with no other SATA drive in the 7570 laptop. Just the new M2 and the USB Key.

I had loaded all my VMs and projects on my replacement 1tb regular sata SSD, currently copying all that to the original 1tb HD that I put in a USB3-Sata external enclosure...

After which I will try again the Win10 Recovery procedure, but with the regular SATA SSD instead of the M2.
Since I bought a M2 2280 Crucial 1tb instead of the newer M2, both will be at the same speed. At this point, I don't mind.

I got the 32g ram installed, that's sweet. 5.9G in use, 7.2G committed, 25.9G available.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 19th, 2019 07:00

@Mark Derail  ah ok, that helps quite a bit.  The built-in Windows system image utility is a pretty horrible choice overall.  It doesn't support a lot of features, and if you're changing drive size it's especially bad because it won't let you resize any of the source partitions to use the new space -- and it won't even allow you to restore to a drive that's smaller than the source even if all the data would fit.  Macrium Reflect Free will definitely get the job done.  Since you're cloning to a different sized drive, take a look at this guide, particularly Steps 4 and 5 that show you how to "stage" custom partition sizing on the destination.  And definitely create Rescue Media because if you install your new disk and find that it doesn't immediate boot, you'll want to boot into your Rescue Media and run Fix Boot Problems.  I would strongly recommend that you make sure that your clone source disk is NOT connected when you run Fix Boot Problems.  After that, you should be good to go.

October 19th, 2019 07:00

So my attempt didn't work, using the Microsoft Recovery (not the Dell).

Since Macrium is free for home use, I will try doing a clone of the M2 128g into the Sata SSD of 1tb. Then try fixing the boot device to be the 1tb.

2 Posts

August 24th, 2020 21:00

Select 7000 series laptops support 2TB SSD; that new info is here under compatibility: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/m2-2tb-pcie-nvme-class-40-solid-state-drivekit/apd/400-axjf/storage-drives-media#techspecs_section

• Inspiron 15 7000 (7573) 2-in-1
  • Inspiron 17 5000 (5770)
  • Inspiron 15 7000 (7570)
  • If true it is because the 7000 manual is generic and does not specify all issues. Some users may have had speed limits if they bought the wrong SSD however.

User reported a successful install on very similar model the 7570 (manual said max of 512gb, but he got it to work) at https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-7000-7570-NVMe-drive-upgrade-to-1TB/td-p/7432991

The 1TB NVMe device worked for a Dell 7573 2-in-1; and dell lists several 7000 series like the Inspiron 15 7000 (7500) 2-in-1 (ICL): The compatibility list is here:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-m2-pcie-nvme-class-40-2280-solid-state-drive-1tb/apd/aa615520/storage-drives-media#compatibility_section

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Insipiron-7573-and-Samsung-Evo-960-M2-SSD/m-p/6154311

No Events found!