Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

11 Posts

May 13th, 2019 10:00

Inspiron 7572, ACPI.SYS latency issue

For those like me, suffering the same issues on a Dell Laptop, but instead of XPS, it´s a Inspiron, or other model, the news are not so great. I've been in touch with Dell Support over Twitter. I have recorded the issue showing clearly what´s going wrong, same that happened with XPS 9570, and the XPS team acknowledge the problem and developed a fix. The Dell team however is saying there´s nothing wrong with my video, and it asking me to show Windows Media Player playing a song, which obviously won´t show anything, since it´s not latency dependent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To9iyu2bSc0

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 13th, 2019 11:00

* Moved your thread to the correct Inspiron Laptops board. That other thread is only for the XPS 15-9570
* Click my name and private message me the Inspiron 15-7572 service tag number
* From whom and when did you purchase this Inspiron 15-7572

* Describe in detail all of the troubleshooting they performed
* Have you installed BIOS 1.1.9?
* Have you installed Realtek A12?

See L3 notes below =

Solution: Customer has shared the video clip and he says the PC is running without Anti-virus, no open software other than default Windows when he captured that video.

Customer says that :
My Old PC, much older tech, used to run Real Time Audio at 3ms. Anything over 5ms is already too much for live audio. While it may not be clear since I was recording from my Smartphone, anything 15ms or under of Latency in Ableton Live starts to crackle and pop. Please review and advise

Conclusion from L3: 
We cannot consider this video for the issue. Few things which I noticed from the video, the application which customer is showing is Abelton Live is Trial version and customer is trying to display what happens if there is latency (customer is reducing and increasing the output latency and showing the Audio output which is how it supposed to be work. Same can be checked on any machine. I have downloaded the same trial version and have tested. If you want to check it as well reach out to me or you can install the same and check. Customer is not showing the actual issue. He is going with the latency monitor numbers and show the same using this 3rd party app.

11 Posts

May 14th, 2019 16:00

Hi Chris,

Let´s go in parts, since there´s a lot of stuff to cover here.

First: Bios 1.1.9 and Realtek A12 Confirmed Installed.

The Laptop was purchased from Dell Brasil Official Online Store.

- About the Video I Recorded, and the Answer from the Support Team:

The only way for me to show how such high Latency on specific System Drivers affects the OS as a whole is to use a Low Latency Dependent Application. Playing a .mp3 won´t show the issue, because there´s a buffer to prevent audio glitches, since it´s not a necessity for it to run real time.

Real Time Tasks, such as DAWs, Live Audio, Games, etc, cannot afford such buffers, if there´s an issue causing very high latency on specific system process, this will affect these aplications, since latency add up real quick, and the PC can´t afford to wait until the buffer is full, so that´s will cause an Audio Glitch, Pop, a Stutter during a Game, etc.

I always noticed Latency using an Audio Interface to play my guitar with DAW and Plugins. If you play at or above 5ms of Latency, it will become very apparent, and almost impossible to do it properly.

Unfortunately, I don´t have an audio interface anymore, so how can I show the Dell team the issue, I thought? Easy. Downloading a software that requires Real Time Processing, such as Ableton Live, I can show how decreasing the Latency will " crash " the processing of Audio, also known as Audio Pops, Glitches, Distortion etc.

Of course, there´s no PC in the world that can do completely real time Audio. OSs and Drivers will always take their tolls. But what I showed is 15ms or Lower will bring the Processing to it´s knees, it´s very clear if you listen to the music at 15ms or below, and compare it to when I first play it perfectly at 40ms.

This is an absurdly high Latency, showing that the OS is "sick", suffering from too much latency from it´s drivers, and it´s not able to do the tasks on it´s plate anywhere as fast as it should be doing. Any modern PC should be able to process real time Audio at or below 5ms without any issues, if the OS is clean, nothing running, just Windows and system drivers. Heck, my 15 year old PC, running Win XP And drivers used to run at 2ms!!!

I hope I have made clear what the issue is, and how it´s clearly perceptible from the video what is happening wrong on my Laptop, and why it need Dell to fix the Drivers that as causing these high latency spikes, specially ACPI.sys.

11 Posts

May 20th, 2019 09:00

Any input from Dell?

No Events found!