Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2018 15:00

Inspiron 7577 Noise after Factory Image Reset

I bought this laptop about 30 days ago. From the beginning it had some noise issues that are characteristic for this model that I thought were caused by bloatware. I saw a video on how to uninstall certain programs and since I already uninstalled them (but in a different way than showed in the video), I decided to run a Factory Image reset and start fresh. Unfortunately, after restoring my laptop to factory state, I started hearing a mechanical noise coming from the left side, under the Dell sticker that holds the laptop information (Dell logo, Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming, Gaming, NVIDIA Discrete Graphic, etc). The noise also reflects on the right side, under the GEFORCE GTX and the Intel stickers. It also seems like the laptop fan works a lot more, even when not needed. When I first got the laptop, the fan worked very rarely, on more demanding processes and the laptop was in general extremely quiet. I mention that I haven’t done any Windows or driver updates after restoring to Factory Image. Any thoughts?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

October 29th, 2018 05:00

Possibly but if tech support has directed you to take the laptop to a service agent then that should be your next move. Service can diagnose, pinpoint the cause of the problem, and correct it. You have put a fair amount of time into finding the cause, so let the professionals take over and save some headaches and frustration. And if it is internal coil noise then nothing you do will correct it.

11 Posts

October 28th, 2018 16:00

EDIT: I've made an upclose recording of the sound with my phone. I can now confirm that it is from the left side, the sound just reflects on the right. It is very audible in a silent room. To hear it clearly, I would recommend using headphones at high volume.

https://soundcloud.com/user-209909669/inspiron-7577-noise

11 Posts

I have both SSD and a regular hard drive. SupportAssist just told me that I have a critical firmware update availabe.

Device: Hard Drive, Vendor: Seagate, Current Version: SDM2, New Version: SDM3. 

Could that be related to my problem and should I make that update?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

The factory restore should not have changed anything like the fans that would contribute to noise. Under the left side where you describe is the battery and I cannot see any noises there. On the right side though is the hard drive. If you ordered the system with an SSD then I cannot see noise there but with a mechanical drive it is possible that you are hearing noise from the hard drive. May not be a problem but hard to say. I would run Dell diagnostics. Start the system and when you see the Dell splash scree, start tapping F12. Run the diagnostics and watch for any components that fail. As for more fan noise, I have the 5575 and my fan rarely came on the first week or so. But the more I used the system, the fan started coming on with more frequency. I would not worry about the amount of times the fan comes on. That really depends on what kind of applications or games you are running. Just wondering as to what kind of noise we are talking about?

Now if the noise increases then call Dell tech support and talk to them.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

October 28th, 2018 17:00

Possible and worth a try. But it sure sounds more like a fan. But that would mean your fan runs all the time and I suspect that at times the fan does not run at all. The only thing that runs all time is the hard drive. And that sure sounds like a mechanical noise rather than coming from your speakers. But that is possible. There is a speaker on the left side where you described. Have you tried disabling the audio device to see if the sound goes away?

11 Posts

The noise just stopped now, after I left the laptop idle for a while and went to a way more subtle blinking that is only audible if I put my ear close.

I'm sorry for all the edits and the double posts, but I'm trying to provide all the info as it happens.

11 Posts

I've tried, but it is definitely a mechanical sound. A friend told me that after a Windows reinstall certain parts may cause noises because the drivers are not up to date. This is what SupportAssist shows me I still need to update, but I assume other drivers can still be updated from Device Manager.

updates.png

11 Posts

October 29th, 2018 03:00

Yeah, so as @JOcean pointed out, the battery is on the left side. This morning the laptop continued to work fine, without the mechanical noise until... I plugged in the charger. Now the noise is back.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

October 29th, 2018 04:00

OK..one last thought then I am out of ideas. Check the following posts with noises similar to yours. Left Back...fan noise. Left front..possible coil whine. If coil whine there really is nothing you can do about it but possibly contact Dell tech support. Although one post attributed the noise to a problem with the power adapter. If the noise is annoying enough then a call to Dell would be in order.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-7577-noise/td-p/6116467

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/90oif0/dell_inspiron_7577_noise_question/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/6x8kqw/figured_out_the_cause_of_coil_whine/

11 Posts

October 29th, 2018 04:00

II’ve talked to Dell Support. I called the International service for Europe and they pointed me towards the representatives in my country. The latter said I should take the laptop to an authorized service partner that would open a case and see which part needs to be replaced. Only problem is, I’m not really excited with having my machine opened and a piece of hardware replaced after just one month. I haven t even installed software on this machine since I got it other than Mozilla and I have only used it to watch videos and tv shows.

Anyway, I was wondering if it could only be the AC adapter. Although, the noise does start when I plug the laptop in, but it does not stop when I remove it. I have to restart the laptop for that. Could I use another adapter from another Dell laptop to see if the issue persists and would that be relevant?

No Events found!