Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2019 10:00

Inspiron 7577 SSD Confusion

Hi everyone

I currently have a 128gb M.2 Sata ( Boot ) and 1TB 5400rpm hard drive installed in my Dell Inspiron 7577. 

What I want is to install a 2tb SSD (Preferably in M.2 Slot instead of in my 2.5" drive bay) I called Dell technical support and the first agent told me that my M.2 Drive slot can have a maximum of 512GB and up to 2TB of SSD in 2.5" drive bay.

As they both use the same SATA channel I was confused as to why there would be a different limit. I called back and another agent told me I can have a maximum of 256GB installed for any SSD. (Regardlesss of whether it's in M.2 slot or 2.5" drive bay)

I also read a forum post of a user with my same laptop who installed a 2.5" 1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD with no problems, so it contradicts what the technical support team told me. 

If it's true that there is a compatibility limit of 256GB for SSD I find that absolutely ridiculous, as its a high performance laptop. Does anyone have the actual information? 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 17th, 2019 10:00

The following chart is from the 7577 support page. Now having posted that, Dell will give you these specs because these are the largest drives that the system has been tested with. The link below the chart is from Crucial that guarantees 100% compatibility with the following capacities. 2.5" SSD up to and including 2 TB. And the M.2 SSD up to and including a 1 TB.

Storage specifications.

Interface
  • SATA 6 Gbps
  • PCIe/NVMe
Hard drive One 2.5-inch drive (SATA)
Solid-state drive (SSD) One M.2 drive (SATA or PCIe/NVMe)
Capacity  
  Hard drive Up to 2 TB
  SSD
  • SATA: Up to 256 GB
  • PCIe/NVMe: Up to 512 GB

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-15-%287577%29

No Events found!