Highlighted
DoctorRzepa
Bronze

Inspiron 7577 - speakers "hiss"

Hello there,

Since a week I am owner of Inspiron 7577, i5-7300hq, GTX 1060 Max-Q. (Almost) everything works fine. First thing is stuttering caused by swithing to dGPU (that's Intel problem and they promised to release a fix in March/April). Another problem is related to speakers - when audio source is paused (Youtube, movie from hard disk), these start to produce "hiss" - like being still powered on. I reinstalled Realtek driver about 50 times now and actually 2 times it installed in some particular way which fixed that issue. But every another try ended up bringing issue back. I heard that many people have the same problem and that it is probably Microsoft fault. Please could you address that?

Another thing is, are there any chances to incorporate and support Dolby sound enhancements into a driver? I know it is possible, because I was able to make them work with unofficial driver.

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: Inspiron 7577 - speakers "hiss"

DoctoRzepa,

Please click the link below and try the information posted by our DCF Rockstar Jim Coates. The fix has resolved other users experiencing hissing noise from their speakers.

Static Hissing

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
lolametro
Silver

These are two things, first the hiss and then second the lag when starting to playback something.

I was able to reduce the hiss by doing this: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Inspiron-7577-Windows-10-realtek-sound-driver-issue/m-p...

I was able to remove the lag by doing this: https://www.dell.com/community/General/Speakers-popping-on-Inspiron-15-7567/m-p/5155487/highlight/tr...

Maybe it will help you. Many greetings

0 Kudos
DoctorRzepa
Bronze

Actually Jim just put a link to Audio FAQ which does not open for me (Page not found). I tried all mentioned "fixes" from that thread. None of them works for me (some even make it worse, leaving speakers powered on all the time). I tried drivers from Dell and Realtek site, with and without MaxxAudio and usually it ends up the same way. A actually managed to "fix" this issue by reinstalling Realtek driver. But it is not "stable" fix. I mean, I reinstalled that driver about 50 times (seriously) and 2 times it installed in some particular way, which fixed the issue. And I mean, REALLY FIXED - there was ZERO hiss at pause. As I mentioned, there are no rules, I don't know what are the form factors, but one thing I can say is - persistent reinstalling driver and checking that issue after each reboot actually SOMETIMES works (2/50 times is 4%). There is something wrong with driver or Windows 10 itself. As I can see, the thread you mentioned is almost 2 years old and no solution was marked - people just gave up. There is something wrong with sound in Dell notebooks and it occurs in many different models, but it wasn't fixed till this time. Maybe it is time to give attention to that problem and find it's root? Please...?

Jim Coates
Diamond

@DoctorRzepa  "Actually Jim just put a link to Audio FAQ which does not open for me"

A month or two ago the Dell forum moved to a new platform and broke many of the existing links. The threads from the old platform are archived in the "General" category, which doesn't allow me to edit my old posts to re-establish my links.

This should be a working link to the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ. The Inspiron 7559 section is the first one down from the top. However the Inspiron 7559 Realtek audio driver is quite different from newer Inspirons and so the suggested workarounds for the 7559 probably are not a good template even if they do work for that model. I would try @lolametro 's solution instead.

Btw, contrary to what was mentioned earlier in this thread I am not a Dell Rockstar .

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
DoctorRzepa
Bronze

I found root of the problem.

It is Windows 10. This OS is so broken, that sound doesn't work properly. Neither does having 7gen. processor with Nvidia GPU (stuttering).

I tried Windows 8.1. I installed it with no problem, every driver made for Windows 10 works on Windows 8.1. Sound driver works without issues. No MaxxAudio, but it's nothing. Not to mention, I installed it entirely on a USB 3.0 flash disk - and it just works.

It is an absurd that Microsoft makes Windows 10 "The Only One Windows Compatible With New Hardware" and it has most bugs of all the systems. No updates for older systems when installed on "incompatible" 7 gen processors? That "update lock" depends only on checking processor name...

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Diamond

The Windows 10 update on March 6th has been messing with my browsers and problems displaying some pages.  It may also currently be messing with some sound.

But there is another thread about the sound with the 7577 being bad and those folks cannot find a driver to work.  Since I have a 7567, and it works fine, I notice the 7577 does not have a subwoofer.  Possibly the sound needs to be installed as a 2.0 version and not a 2.1 version which might be used by the 7567.  

You might check out the other thread, which I do not currently have a link to and see if you see anything which might help. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
DoctorRzepa
Bronze

Sound driver dedicated for 7577 from Dell site has no option to be set. Eveything works on different version of Windows on the same driver. Windows 10 is the culprit.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Diamond

If you open the Win 10 UI from the speaker icon and go to playback devices, look at the Levels tab.  What level controls do you show.  I would give you a picture of mine but you can no longer upload pictures, so on the 7567 I show an over Speakers/Headphone level slider along with an Internal Subwoofer and Front level sliders.

The Front slider is for the main speakers and the Internal Subwoofer is for the Subwoofer, as would be expected.  What do you show if you do not have a Subwoofer, any sliders other than the main Speakers/Headphones?

It is normally not a good idea to use Win 10 enhancements along with Waves.

Because I noticed someone on the Microsoft site having a problem getting the Dell AE415 2.1 speaker system to work on his Dell Desktop (don't know which model) I am wondering if there is some issue with that.  I should note the AE415 system is not listed as a Dell device in Waves.  He had a situation where the system was being picked up as Quadraphonic, which produced bad sound, or Stereo, which produced no sound...  Just trying to find some kind of common ground....

You may be correct and it is Win 10 causing the problem.  It would not be the first time some change Windows made was not caught ahead of time by OEMs.  But not really sure why the same audio processor would work normally on one system but have numerous problems, it appears, on others if Win 10 was solely responsible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
DoctorRzepa
Bronze

"Been there, done that". I checked levels tab in speaker's properties, i have only one volume slider.

Most people probably just can't hear that static sound because they don't have such sensitive ears or don't play movies/music on laptop.

Sound driver works properly on Windows 7, 8, 8.1. Only Windows 10 has problems with (and not only) it (Optimus stuttering).

It is an absurd that every new device (Intel 7th gen processors) is "compatible" with Windows 10 only (I don't mention Linux), but it actually doesn't work properly on these devices (Creators Fall Update broken so many things). That's not right. I started considering installing Linux (which also has no issue with sound on this machine). Isn't Dell supposed to contact Microsoft and try to solve these problems (since these are Microsoft fault especially)?

Also, I hope for Dell to release some tools for fans speed configuration. Coolling on Inspiron 7577 is great, but way too aggressive.

0 Kudos