Highlighted
1 Copper

Inspiron 7580 Battery

Brought a dell inspiron 15 7580 in late december 2019.

battery is getting less than 2.5hrs on a full charge. i dont use it often and its not for anything graphics or power intensive. the fans also spin fast sometimes for no apparent reason. i cannot use this laptop without being plugged in which is a not ideal to take around as cannot always charge.

Anyone else have this issue/know how to fix it?

Sivsy_0-1593880461895.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
2 Iron

Re: Inspiron 7580 Battery

I have this same model. Under Dell Power Manager, what is the current battery health, and what is the setting under thermal management?

if the battery is still excellent according to the manager, then something is draining your battery that shouldn’t be. If you’re saying the fans are kicking on periodically, then something is taxing your cpu, thus draining your battery.

press the CTRL ALT DELETE keys on the keyboard and choose task manager. Under processes, press where it says cpu till you see whatever program is currently using your CPU. If you’re in idle and you’re anymore than 5%, then list the highest percentage programs running.

If the battery is still excellent and there’s no heavy programs running, and you run In a maximize battery mode when you aren’t connected to a power supply, then the reality is that the smaller 4 cell battery provided by dell is the problem here. Even at peak efficiency of 4 hours that I was personally getting on mine in the beginning and the fact that its primarily connected to a power supply with the dell power manager set for a/c use, I’m lucky now if I’m getting 2.5 - 3 hours out of it. Being plugged in most of the time doesn’t help the battery either.

You are still under warranty, but if the battery still shows as excellent, I doubt that Dell would replace it. you could wait and see if a Dell Customer representative responds to your post with some additional help as you might have a battery that is failing prematurely. If Dell Power manager shows the battery as excellent, you might have a tough time convincing Dell that the problem is with your battery, unless they can diagnose something else as being the problem. 

Best of luck. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Re: Inspiron 7580 Battery

My mistake. We’ve got a 3 cell battery in our model. 

0 Kudos