Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

March 14th, 2019 22:00

Inspiron 7586 second hard drive issues

I purchased an Inspiron 7586 which came with a 256 GB M.2 SSD, hoping I could install a secondary hard drive. The specs say that it supports one 2.5-inch hard drive, SATA AHCI 6 Gbps interface and maximum capacity up to 2 TB, so I purhcased a 1 TB Samsung EVO 860 and installed it. Since I installed it, the computer started intermittently freezing for couple of seconds once every couple of minutes. I have updated the BIOS, reinstalled the chipset drivers and any other driver you can think of, updated the SATA firmware, etc. No luck. I tried installing the hard drive to a different computer and it works properly. I also ran diagnostics on the laptop and the Samsung drive and everything looks good.

I am also sure that it supports a second SSD, because you can't fit a 2.5" HDD into the slot since it is thicker than a 2.5" SSD drive.

I tried chatting with Dell support, but I was shocked with their answer. First they insisted that the laptop doesn't support a second hard drive. Then they told me they can't help because I didn't purchase the hard drive from Dell.

I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 20th, 2019 16:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @afkplus 

Since you purchased the laptop with the M.2 SSD did it come with the 4-cell Primus (56 WHr) battery???

To install a second 2.5" HDD/SSD and make it fit you need the "Half Length battery"

Inspiron 7586 Service Manual:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-7586-2-in-1-laptop_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

Inspiron 7586 Setup and Specifications:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-7586-2-in-1-laptop_users-guide_en-us.pdf

Best regards,

U2

1 Message

October 28th, 2019 10:00

Anyone know where you can get a longer SATA cable for the 7586 to support a 2nd hard drive without having to spend almost $300 for the Dell Drive they want to sell you?  I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB drive, but the cable that comes with the laptop is not long enough and I am having a tough time finding one that will fit.  Appreciate any ideas.  It is a 12 pin flat cable with a SATA connector on one end.  

32 Posts

October 28th, 2019 15:00

correction, it was a 500GB SSD Drive. 

32 Posts

October 28th, 2019 15:00

My 7580 isn’t an exact match for your 7586, yours being a 2 in 1, but I’m pretty sure the layout internally is exactly the same. I installed an extra Sandisk 512GB SSD drive in the available 2.5 inch space. Took only a few minutes once i removed all the screws from the back cover. Didn’t have any cable length issues. Are you sure you have the second drive installed the correct way. That would account for why you think you need a longer cable. It didn’t take me long to install this drive and if you look up my model, you'll find our laptops are very similar. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072R78B6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Posts

October 28th, 2019 16:00

Please let me know if you are able to fit an HDD into that laptop. I first tried that but the back panel didn't close so I had to get an SSD - which fitted because SSDs are slightly thinner than HDDs, but didn't work because the laptop didn't support 2 SSDs. I already had an M.2.

So to summarize, the laptop I got was built to fit an SSD only, but it didn't support that SSD. Typical Dell garbage. I already sold it to someone else after couple of months back and forth with useless Dell support, for $200 less the purchase price.

Good luck to you my friend.

32 Posts

October 28th, 2019 16:00

Either the 7586 is an odd duck or my 7580 has a different setup, as I'm currently running the M.2 256GB NVME drive and the 500GB Sandisk SSD Drive for a while now without any issues. Not saying your problem wasn't legitimate. Just saying that it should be possible to run the M.2 drive and an SSD drive without compatibility issues.  

34 Posts

August 30th, 2021 01:00

My 7586 will apparently run anything in the second slot. It had an M.2 SATA drive in it when I got it but it was very small, 80gb I think if I remember correctly. It was in a 2.5" caddy. I put a 500gb SATA HDD in there out of an old laptop that I was mining spare parts from, and I just recently upgraded my 256 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD to a 1tb SK hynix Gold P31 and tossed a 2tb 2.5" SATA SSD out of another parts machine and they have all worked just fine but I have the standard 42wh battery, which I now need to replace after only a year and a half. My old 3567 laptop is going on 5 years and the original battery still has over 80% health. This 7586 has been nothing but headaches compared to old faithful, which keeps ne going through all the trials with the newer and supposedly more capable 2 in 1. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of it. I upgraded it instead and it's faster and more reliable. What's up Dell? you're pushing me toward a nice new ASUS with this last Inspiron. I don't use a laptop heavy enough to spend more on the higher line Vostros or Lattitudes or XPS models. I'm just a casual user with a bit of work stuff to do, mainly just blueprints, punch list and email stuff. Zenbooks are looking better every day.

No Events found!