Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

2 Posts

May 18th, 2020 22:00

Inspiron 7590 ethernet adapter not detected/working?

Recently bought an Inspiron 7590 (around two months ago) and wished to connect to the internet via LAN with an ethernet adapter (STM USB-C Hub + Lan - USB-C - 3 x USB-A + LAN). However, I was having trouble connecting via LAN.

Tried various things:

- turned WiFi off and kept LAN connected - showing up as no available connections. Troubleshooter only finds that the problem is resolved by turning on the WiFi.

- plugged USB on one of the adapter's ports to make sure cable is working - USB was detected and working well but ethernet is still not detected

- in Device Manager, USB was detected but not ethernet. Not a hidden device either. Also updated all of the devices under Network adapters and restarted laptop.

- network adapter list is only showing the WiFi adapter and nothing else (was checking whether Local Area Connection was disabled or not but it was missing) 

Also asked a friend who knows more about copmuters and he said: "The laptop is not detecting the hardware for the network adapter."

I am sure the LAN cable is not the problem as I use this for my desktop PC all the time.

I did contact the store I bought the adapter from, and they think it's a compatibility issue. However, I do think the adapter IS compatible as it is USB type-C and the port does have a thunderbolt sign next to it so I feel like that is not the problem here.

Is anyone please able to help?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 19th, 2020 05:00

Try plugging the adapter into a different system (or your friend's system).  Does it work there?

May 19th, 2020 06:00

@ejn63 unfortunately I do not have any other devices that has USB type-C except for my mobile device - but that won't be able to test the ethernet adapter

If all else fails, I'll probably look into buying a new adapter instead perhaps..

5.6K Posts

May 19th, 2020 10:00

Curious why you chose this particular product when there are other better known names on the market.

No Events found!