Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2022 07:00

Inspiron 7620 and Pen PN5122W stop working

I have an Inspiron 7620 2-in-1 and the recommended active pen PN5122W. It works for a few minutes after restarting the laptop, then just stops being detected by the screen. The battery in the pen is brand new and I have tested it and confirmed the battery has full power.

I have looked at Dell Peripheral Manager but it does not have any option to manage a pen available (despite what the user-guide says).

I have tried an alternative Dell pen that I normally use on another Dell laptop, and it does the same: it is detected by the 7620 for a few minutes, then stops until the laptop is rebooted.

After the pen stops working on the 7620, I am still able to use it with my other Dell laptop with no problems (Latitude 7400).

This suggests to me that the problem is very clearly on the laptop, not the pen.

Unless I can get this working more reliably, I will have to return the pen as it's useless like this.

4 Posts

June 15th, 2022 01:00

It wasn't the battery, and this pen doesn't pair via Bluetooth.

With help from Dell support, I found the solution, which was to install the latest Intel and NVIDIA graphics drivers.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

June 15th, 2022 00:00

Ensure that the coin cells battery holder is tightened firmly into the top cap. Top button stops working. Pen is not paired correctly with the device. Remove the pen from the Bluetooth list in the device and pair it again.

1 Message

August 10th, 2022 04:00

I have the same problem as you. Could you let me know how to check if I need to update the drivers and how I can do it, please?

4 Posts

August 10th, 2022 07:00

Go to the support page for the laptop, find the display drivers, and reinstall the latest versions. Don't check whether you "need" to - my system said I did not need updates, but reinstalling the drivers did the trick. Then come back here and let people know if it worked for you!

1 Message

August 19th, 2022 01:00

what specific drivers??

28 Posts

August 19th, 2022 17:00

I just reinstalled the Nvidia Drivers dated 6.10.22 and the problem persists.  The pen works for a few minutes and quits.  The device status in Peripheral Manager shows that the battery is 100% (it's about a month old and tests at 1.6V) and has been in a drawer for most of that time.  Any help? 

Here are the specifics on the driver:

Version: 30.0.15.1274, A01

File Name: NVIDIA-GeForce-MX-550-570-and-RTX-2050-3050-3050_YMKF0_WIN_30.0.15.1274_A01.EXE

28 Posts

August 19th, 2022 17:00

The problem goes away (temporarily) even if I just put the computer to sleep. 

28 Posts

September 10th, 2022 12:00

I installed the latest Nvidia driver dated 7/21/22 with version 31.0.15.1694 and the problem repeated itself after using the pen for about half an hour.  Very frustrating...

September 22nd, 2022 01:00

I am also facing this issue with my Dell Inspiron 7620 2in1. I am already in contact with Dell Support since the release of this laptop (over three months now) and the issue is still not fixed!

I have already talked with many Dell technicians over phone and in person. The issue could be narrowed down to a HARDWARE ISSUE which affects all Dell Inspiron 7620 2in1 (at least with the same hardware specifications as mine). With the Dell technicians we have ruled out any software issues by reinstalling Windows, updating drivers etc. --> This rules out software issues, so the Pen issues must be hardware related (either the Pen or the Laptop).

After that I got in total 6 different Pen/stylus replacements (three times Dell Pen PN5122W and three times Dell Penn PN7522W). Non of them worked for a longer period on my Dell Inspiron 7620 2in1 system. But ALL of theses Pens do work flawlessly on another Dell Latitude System which I own. --> This rules out hardware issues on the PENs themselves.

Then the Dell technician has already replaced hardware components of my System. He replaced the screen (including the digitizer), some cabling inside the system and now even the motherboard. --> but the Pen issues persists.

After that I have got a 1 to 1 replacement and received a completely new laptop, which I could test after a few minutes had also the same Pen issues. --> This would indicate that all Dell Inspiron 7620 2in1 system are affected by these hardware issues and that they can not work without issues with a Pen for a prolonged period of time.

Until now I do not have a solution for my Pen issues, and my system is not useable as a convertible with Pen support. That is absolutely not acceptable for such a expensive device.

28 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 12:00

Thanks for the detailed response.  Seeing that we have similar issues, it points to a flaw that is beyond just one computer.  After a lot of troubleshooting with Dell, I just reinstalled Windows and am in the process of checking to see if it is any better.  

Do you also have the configuration with the discrete Nvidia GeForce MX550? 

I noticed there seems to be a memory conflict between the video card and the Intel chipset... Under system information > hardware resources > conflicts/sharing there is a conflict noted.  I don't know enough about memory resources and conflicts to know if this is a problem or not.  

Memory Address 0x0000-0xFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce MX550

Memory Address 0x0000-0xFFFFFF Intel(R) PEG62 - 463D

and 

Memory Address 0xA0000000-0xA0FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce MX550

Memory Address 0xA0000000-0xA0FFFFFF Intel(R) PEG62 - 463D

Do you have that conflict also?  

28 Posts

September 25th, 2022 18:00

As an update, reinstalling Windows (and all the driver and BIOS updates) did not work.  The pen failed again.  

I then tried disabling the NVIDIA graphics card altogether to try to eliminate the memory conflict.  I thought I was getting somewhere but about 10 minutes later the pen stopped.  

I still have no solution for this problem.  

September 26th, 2022 04:00

Do you also have the configuration with the discrete Nvidia GeForce MX550? 

I do have the version without Nvidia GeForce and Intel iGPU only.

--> The only known solution is to return your device for a full refund, but Dell did not offer this to me yet.

September 30th, 2022 06:00

After reading greenflash´s post, I am a little worried that I have the EXACT same issue. 
My device has no dedicated gpu and my pen stops writing at some point. Not that it´s like every 2 days. No, literally every 2-5 minutes at best. I don´t want to return both the pen and the inspiron since I really like them...but I have to since it´s useless to have a 2in1 und not utilizing that feature

28 Posts

September 30th, 2022 07:00

Dell sent me a new pen. The pen worked for like 20 minutes and then stalled.  When the pen stalled, both the old and new pen no longer worked.  It wasn't like the new pen stalled and I could pick up the old pen and continue. When one pen disconnected, both disconnected indicating something in the computer changed.  I then put the computer to sleep and then woke it up and both pens worked.  That indicates something with the hardware (or software), not the pens. However, seeing that I've updated all the drivers, BIOS, etc. and reinstalled Windows (and updated drivers, BIOS, etc. again), if there was something corrupt in the software, I would expect it would have been fixed with the reinstallations.  This points me also to a hardware problem like @greenflash.

Dell is working on the next solution now.  I'm waiting to hear what they say.  I'm really hoping Dell will come through with an acceptable solution as I'm past the 30 day return period.  

1 Message

October 11th, 2022 06:00

I have had similar issues with the Dell Latitude 9430 2-in-1 and Active Pen PN7522W.

When the pen stops working, the top button continues to work, and it stays connected to Bluetooth. However, it will not write.

Since the pen is rechargeable, I was able to plug the pen into the USB port and it starts working again.

It seems to be an issue with the digitizer in the display going into selective suspend due to power management issues within the CPU or USB controller.

I followed the steps below to disable selective suspending of the USB controller and the issue has not occurred for a short time. I will continue testing and report back (hopefully I am not providing false hope of a fix).

1. Navigate to Control Panel > Hardware > Power Options > Change Plan Settings.
2. Select Change advanced power settings.
3. Expand the USB Settings drop-down. (If this option is missing you may have to Create a power Plan from the Power Options menu)
4. Expand the USB selective suspend setting drop-down.
5. Select Disabled and Apply/OK the settings.

Note, this may increase system power usage and decrease battery life.

No Events found!