Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2021 06:00

Inspiron G15 5515, keyboard backlight, RGB problems

Recently picked up an new Inspiron G15 5515. Has anyone experienced issues with the keyboard backlight not working with the hotkey?

It is enabled in the BIOS and all driver are up to date. I can see it toggle to dark mode in the AWCC (Alienware Command Center), but it is not working. When working, it does it very sporadic.

I am thinking hardware issue or a bug that hasn't been caught. 

Thoughts?

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 03:00

"FIXED" - If you are still looking for a fix.. I worked with Dell Support and their fix was to have the computer hibernate before it goes to sleep. Get to the advanced power options and set your computer (while plugged in and while on battery) to hibernate some amount of time before sleep. This fixed it for me (G15 5515). I still wouldn't call it a "fix" and think Dell still has work to do to correct the software issue, but this is a half decent work around for now.

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 22:00

This happen to me once and I got the backlight back on.  Try this.

1. Shutdown the laptop.  Don't use the restart option.
  2. Turn on the laptop.
  3. Uninstall Alienware Control Center
  4. Uninstall Alienware OC
  5. Shutdown the laptop.  Don't use the restart option.
  6. Turn on the laptop.
  7. Install Alienware Control Center
  8. Install Alienware OC.
  9. This should turn the backlight back on.  If not, start Alienware Control Center.
    1. Hit the FX tab.
    2. Hit the Edit button
    3. Hit the All Keys check box
    4. Select the color you want

Hope this works for you as it did for me.

June 17th, 2021 20:00

I also cannot use the hotkey, i turned the keyboard to NEVER turn off in bios, and after a brief sleep mode, the keyboard has not failed to turn off and will never turn back on unless i restart the computer. if this behavior is not fixed, im afraid i might need to resell this pc. im quite disappointed. first off, a backlit keyboard shouldnt automatically turn off, and need a bios level fix, that should be a software option only, second off, the macro should be a hardwired feature that changes the controller for the keyboard.

6 Posts

June 17th, 2021 21:00

I was able to reinstall Alienware control center it fixed briefly. OCC control updated and it seems to have broken again... sigh. 
I can imagine its a software level fix. I wish Dell would look into this. 

1 Message

June 23rd, 2021 07:00

Same here, G15 5515, 4-zone RGB keyboard failed every time woke up from sleep mode, soft restart won't fix, only hard reset does.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2021 19:00

Same issue. The Alienware Command Center seems to be creating the issue. It is also pretty inept overall for "Alienware expectations".

This keyboard backlighting has been flaky out of the box and now even after bios and "ACC" reconfigure attempts is still off. SAD.

June 29th, 2021 19:00

@Anonymous any fixes yet? my keyboard backlight literally doesnt work if the computer goes to sleep at all. this is ridiculous its been almost a month with no support checking to see if this is an issue. please respond back so we can see if this is getting fixed.

6 Posts

July 6th, 2021 09:00

UPDATE: It looks like Bios version 1.2.0 was just released. For now backlight seemed stable. 

Dell G15 5515 System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell US

Needed to reinstall Alienware command center. 

6 Posts

July 6th, 2021 09:00

Still no update from Dell, support has not been helpful at all.  They don't seem to understand the issue with OCC controls and just want to close the case. Pretty annoying

6 Posts

July 6th, 2021 13:00

**Update**, this did not fix the issue.

6 Posts

July 12th, 2021 09:00

I have started the return process can ordered the Alienware m5 ryzen (which is now cheaper than what i payed for the g15) in hopes the software weill work correctly since Dell does not seem to want to address the Keyboard issue. 

Good luck with your efforts. 

2 Posts

July 12th, 2021 09:00

I am having the same issue with a brand new computer. I have updated the Bios, ensured it said it was set to "Bright" and never turn off. Its not even turning on for me at all now.. This is unacceptable. 

5 Posts

July 13th, 2021 20:00

I recently purchased the G15 Ryzen and I'm having the same issue.  Tried adjusting the keyboard backlight settings in the BIOS but no improvement.  Dell what is the status of this?  I am also considering returning this laptop for this same reason.

5 Posts

July 13th, 2021 21:00

This is my first Dell to own so I'm not sure what to expect here.  Anyone here have a good gauge on the likelihood of this issue being fixed in the near future (if ever) ?  Even cheap $300 Chromebooks have functioning backlit keyboards so I certainly expect a $1200+ laptop to have one as well.

5 Posts

July 16th, 2021 14:00

The only workaround that I find it seems to work is to not allow the system to sleep.   I set it to Never on Power & Sleep settings when on AC power.  On the BIOS, I just set the keyboard timeout to 15 minutes.  Of course this does not solve the issue until Dell fixes the issue in the BIOS.

No Events found!