Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SS

2 Posts

March 7th, 2019 00:00

Inspiron G3 15-3579, charging port issue?

Hi, I m having problem with the charger or charging port. The problem: When i plug in charger, it keeps being connected / disconnected. In windows i can see that icon for battery changes every few seconds from "on battery" to "charging". Since there is power plan chosen, backlight is being turned down and up... - also led near charging port keeps being turned on and off (indicating charging state) What I have so far tried: Using 2nd charger (130W charger for dell dock wd15) - did not helped Using 3rd charger (130W charger for dell dock wd15) - same result, but the blue ring led at the end of the charging cable turned off, and charger seems to be dead (after unpluging from ac, and pluging back it glows on blue again...) Updating bios - same result What is awkward: Charging with the original charger another laptop - works fine there. Turning off laptop and leaving it charge like that works without problems. For me it looks like problem with mobo. Any advice ?

• 

16.7K Posts

March 7th, 2019 05:00

samuell.sk,

Click the links below for troubleshooting and resolving adapter issues.

How to Troubleshoot AC Adapter Issues?

AC Adapter

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

March 7th, 2019 06:00

None of those either are related, or applicable.

Anything else? And please, try to be more constructive when replaying, not those unified answers sending there and there and there.... not everybody came here and did not tried everything that could be done before registering and posting. Bear that in mind.

• 

16.7K Posts

March 7th, 2019 06:00

samuell.ok,

* AC Adapter connected

* Boot into the BIOS

* Open General- battery Information

What does it state for Health?

What does it state for AC Adapter?

* If both are positive, then the hardware is functioning. The fault is within the operating system

* Open Power Management

* Open Primary Battery Charge Configuration

* What setting are you using?

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

April 20th, 2019 01:00

Hi,

My brand new - 4 days old G3 3579 ( service tag removed per privacy policy) has a problem with charging. Charging turns on and off when using the laptop, but seems charging perfectly fine when laptop is turned off. I have checked the default 130W AC adapter and there is no issue. Also updated BIOS to 1.9.1 and also from BIOS set 'Standard mode' for Primary Battery Charge Configuration. Also set 95 as 'Custom Charge Stop'. Ran diagonstic by pressing F12 while system boot and also updated Adapter drivers.

Can you please help on this? I have already found people having same issue (below)

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-G3-15-3579-charging-port-issue/m-p/7255712/highlight/false#M49656

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-G3-power-adapter-is-not-sufficient-130W-i5-8300H-1050/td-p/7252835

April 20th, 2019 01:00

Hi,

Im having exact same issue with my 4 days old G3 3579. Is there solution for this?

Thanks

1 Message

June 9th, 2019 06:00

Hello,

Is there an update on this issue?  We are having very similar errors with the exact same model.

When running a graphics-intensive game, the battery quits charging.  When not running the game, it charges on and off, giving an error message every 15 seconds.  We don't think it's the cable or brick.  Typically it registers as "plugged in - not charging".

It does "feel" like a software issue.

Thanks for any help.

-8bitgrfx

1 Message

July 26th, 2019 08:00

I am experiencing the exact same issue, noticed it through the difference in brightness used for AC mode vs battery powered mode. Battery status is still excellent, BIOS indicates that it isn't a hardware issue. 

Many people experiencing this same problems with the same units can be due to problems with the software. Or we could have faulty units, but the problems only occured a few days ago but I own the laptop sinds december.

1 Message

August 12th, 2019 01:00

Do we have a fix for this? My Dell G3 3579 has been doing this exact thing since I purchased it about 5 months back. At first I thought it was the adapter, so I tried another Dell adapter but it still happened. So I thought it was the port and had it checked, nothing wrong there which leads me to believe it's a driver/software issue. Highly frustrating little "bug" we have here.

August 13th, 2019 13:00

Have the same problem, G3 won't charge. BIOS battery status when plugged keeps changing from Idle to Discharging. 

1 Message

August 20th, 2019 13:00

I have the same problem and as I can see that dell support can only write a copy paste message. Someone maybe found how to fix it?

October 2nd, 2019 06:00

I'm having the same problem. Can we please get an update about what the issue is? BIOS all updated, and my charger and port look fine. It's really disappointing because this is a new laptop.

2 Posts

October 11th, 2019 03:00

Yes it is definitely software issue. And yes it is because of laptops BIOS.

Solution (I found by trying myself, not use the standard messages of DELL Support)

You need to enter BIOS and go to Battery Power Management Section. You will see some choices like "Adaptive", "Standart", "Custom Charge" etc. in one of the lines under Power Management (The names may change with your locale).

Just select "Standard" from this section, Apply and exit.

You laptop will charge as usual.

Regards

October 12th, 2019 07:00

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply, I hope to try your solution.

I have no idea why, but when I try to boot up the BIOS, when I press F2, the screen goes black and I cannot access it.

Does anyone maybe have a fix to this?

Thanks a lot!

2 Posts

October 14th, 2019 14:00

Hi,

I am not sure if it is a typo, but you need to press F12 not F2.

Ciao

October 15th, 2019 22:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried F12, but accessing BIOS from there also results in a black screen.

I'm not sure what the issue is

Thank you for your help.

No Events found!