Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

1 Message

October 20th, 2019 19:00

Inspiron G3 15 3590, hinge broken

Hi, the back of my laptop below the monitor where the hinges are located are broken. Whenever close my laptop screen, the left hinge extends further out of the G3 black rectangle and when I open the laptop there's a bulge in the bottom screen frame where the hinge is located. Is there anyway I can fix this?

January 20th, 2020 09:00

A follow up on my previous post:

1. Dell-cares contacted me, I shared my info, and they did nothing.

2. Even though we agreed to pay, Dell cust. service did not fix. They promptly charged my card for $260 (approx.), and then after several calls, informed that the part is back ordered and it will take more than a month before they can get it. No emails, we had to keep on calling them to get this info.

3. Finally decided to not fix the laptop, and asked them to send it back. Received the laptop in pieces. Contacted the CS immediately and they asked for photos. After photos are emailed (while on call), they said they will update via email/call in 24 hours.

4. No response after 24 hours, so called again. Now, the CS person says the photos are not received. Sent again. Again, will get a response in 24 hours.

I ordered a lenovo now, giving the dell as a total loss. Wondering if I should put a claim in small claims court.

As Bradley posted, "Never a Dell again". I am also posting it in my whatsapp groups, to save my friends.

272 Posts

January 20th, 2020 10:00

The best advice I could give you is that call Dell support desk or visit a Dell service centre and get the laptop back to 100% working condition.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2020 14:00

Adding myself to the list of people who suddenly have this problem. The model isn't even a year old, and this seems to be a pretty common manufacturing defect because of all the posts I'm seeing about it. The only thing I was worried about when I bought it was how flimsy it seemed, and now I know I was right to worry. Gonna open up a support ticket. Here's hoping I'll have better luck. Sure as hell wasn't accidental damage. The laptop has never left my table until now.

1 Message

February 4th, 2020 19:00

JUST bought this piece of in December and 3 weeks later I open it one day and the hinge cracked. Over the course of the next 5 days, screws and pieces would slip out from under the screen. My usage? Literally opening and closing it to write. It now has gotten so bad I'm afraid to close it. I would get it fixed but I went on vacation for 2 months and the warranty only apparently works where I bought it. Dell support was no help either and denied this issue. NEVER AGAIN. 

3 Posts

February 6th, 2020 23:00

I'm also faced same issue.Still it's less than a month after purchase.I informed dell but still no proper reply from them what they are saying is "Wait few more days".But what i need to say is i purchased this do my university works and i can't wait any more because still i used this less than a month and spend  a huge money to buy this.After seeing this forum, now i sure that this is a manufacturing fault of dell.Still waiting for their reply but i feel that replacing a hinges or screen is not a solution for this kind of manufacturing issues.Still this model is 1year old and better to recall and fix.If any of the dell supporter looking this forum please contact me

3 Posts

February 6th, 2020 23:00

i already face same issue for my left side hinges.Still i used this less than a month.Yes it is a manufacturing/Design fault

February 10th, 2020 17:00

Mine just did the same thing! 3 months old! Agreed, if Dell doesn’t step-up and fix their issue

February 10th, 2020 17:00

Mine too!

1 Message

February 11th, 2020 07:00

Sadly you can count me in.  Bought the G3 3590 direct from Dell in September 2019.  Have owned it barely 4 months.  Don't use it for school.  Don't travel with it.  It sits on a desk and is used at most 2-3 hours a day.  The hinge broke from opening and closing it.  My husband takes a look at it (aerospace engineer) and says it's a design flaw.  We've been Dell customers forever.  I figure we'll get this fixed and back in business in no time.  Good response from the customer service rep via chat.  I ship the laptop into the depot for repair.  I hear back from the rep about the status - they don't have the part on hand and don't know when they'll get it.  I'm a retired military logistician - how can you not have a basic part on hand and how can you not know when you'll get the part?  I finally hear back from the rep again - now they estimate getting the hinge in by 3-11-20 but they refuse to guarantee that date.  The computer broke in January.  In the meantime, Dell magnanimously offers to send me a refurbished computer in its stead.  This is a 4 month old computer.  I didn't buy it refurbished.  I don't buy refurbished tech - you have no idea how the system has been treated.  

I was struck by the fact they didn't have a simple part on hand much less it took months to get the part in.  That told me that either Dell was doing an unbelievably poor job of maintaining inventory of their parts OR there were so many of these computers breaking that it had exceeded demand.  I guess we now know the answer.  

Like many on here we've been Dell customers for ages.  I am appalled at how they are dealing with an issue that is clearly a design flaw.  

March 1st, 2020 04:00

same here just bought the laptop 3 months ago and the one side of screen hinge broke i was treating this laptop like a baby. opening and closing the lid very smoothly but then i noticed the hinge is a bit misplaced but after 2-3 days one screw came out of the  hinge. so yeah its a big design flaw i contacted dell customer care and they said the same shit your screen hinge damage is not covered in warranty

1 Message

March 19th, 2020 15:00

I honestly didn't think too much of it, but it's bothered me since I've had the laptop. No matter what I try to decrease the wonkiness or creakiness of certain areas (specifically the back panel). I honestly wish there were options to purchase a ventilated bottom cover. temps are WAY better and won't kill itself ramping up. 

1 Message

March 20th, 2020 02:00

Same problem in a two months old laptop. Never abused the hinge, just used it as normal.

1 Message

March 21st, 2020 18:00

My dell has just done the same.  Bottom of the screen by the hinge separates, the casing around the screen pivot mechanism is popping open.  For sure is a defect.  Anyone try reducing the friction of the screen hinge?  Or crazy gluing the casings at their weak points?   LOL.  Nothing like considering to crazy glue your new laptop:)

March 22nd, 2020 10:00

I’ve just started getting the same issue, and I’ve had it for about 2 months! Very happy with the laptop until this issue. Will contact Dell and see if they fix it.

1 Message

March 25th, 2020 04:00

Also having this problem - would appreciate any contact from Dell support.  Thank you.

No Events found!