Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

July 24th, 2020 11:00

Inspiron G3 17 3779, Boot Power Cycle bug?

Hi Everyone,

Just bought a Dell Inspiron G3 17 3779 (Core i7 8th Gen with GTX 1060, HDD & 128 SSD all stock) from eBay that's only been used for 42 days according to the SMART data of the hard drives, and having some issues.

The machine seems to be power cycling when I turn it on, and this is damaging to the hardware. The keyboard lights flash three or four times, and you can hear the hard drive beep as it receives power, and then stops, every time, like it's struggling to start.

But, it does this about four times and then seems to start OK. I'm worried that this will damage the hard drive, as well as other components. Power cycling like this causes current inrush, which is damaging to electronics.

It seems to take ages to get to the BIOS DELL splash screen too doing this. My old M6600 or E6230 doesn't.

Fixes I've tried:

1. Clearing CMOS - No fix

2. Turning off Sign Of Life Indication - this stops the keyboard lights but it is still power cycling.

3. Updated the BIOS to the latest version, and clearing CMOS - no fix

Since updating the BIOS this has opened another can of worms and I'm now constantly getting a "TPM Not Detected" message at every boot!

I think there's a serious bug in the power management chip somewhere, or the BIOS. All other laptops I've had, including a Precision M6600 and Latitude E6230, do not do this.

As for the TPM issue I've tried resetting CMOS, and as per suggestions here holding the power button down for 30 seconds. Apart from taking the bottom cover off and disconnecting the battery, or downflashing, is there anything else to try?

I'm also trying to get the ownership transferred, so I can GIVE YOU MONEY to extend the warranty, but you KEEP REFUSING. Refusing money, really? I've only had it four days and feel like selling it! I used a Dell rep's advice and put eBay as the company on the transfer form and still it gets refused!

October 11th, 2020 12:00

This still isn't fixed and the autobot keeps spamming my inbox! Can some humans please help as this is a hardware issue!!

No Events found!