Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2018 15:00

Inspiron G5 15-5587, stutters

Since maybe a month I have experienced stutters every so often. It is more noticeable when playing videos, music or videogames. I have the G5 15 5587.

Since I could not find the reason for this behavior (I have made a clean Windows Install, reinstalled all the drivers,...), I have run some tests while playing a video. I experience stutters every 15 minutes, consistently, and in the windows performance monitor it shows a peak of 100% in writes of disk C: (320 GB SSD with Windows 10) when normal peaks are around 30 to 40 %. Read speeds of the same disk appear normal, but all the variables of writes of disk C: have similar behavior.

I have also run the performance monitor for other elements but this is the only one consistent with the stutter. The stutter happened at 23:31:07 and you can see the peak in the image. 

Peak at 23:31:07Peak at 23:31:07I hope someone knows whats happening and how to solve it.

P.S. I currently have BIOS 1.4.2 and will test if the BIOS 1.5.0 released today works better, however, I was experiencing stutters before updating to BIOS 1.4.2.

Edit: BIOS Update to 1.5.0 did not solve my issue.

December 12th, 2018 14:00

UPDATE I uninstalled all Dell Related Software and it solved the Issue. I reinstalled Dell Support Assist recently to update some drivers and the issue came back so I had to uninstall it again.

1 Message

December 13th, 2018 09:00

I have a G5 with the same problem. That solved it. Thanks

22 Posts

December 14th, 2018 08:00

Wow THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!

I've gone crazy with audio drivers and clocks and it was THAT SIMPLE!

2 Posts

December 18th, 2018 11:00

I have the same problem so I would like to test your solutions with a clean win10 installation. So my questions: 1. This clean installation was with a Dell recovery disc or with your own windows copy? I have got an educational license that is why I bought an Ubuntu OS. 2. What do you mean by Dell Related Software? You mean all the drivers provided by Dell or its various soft assistants? 3. Do you use the newest drivers provided by NVIDIA and Intel for graphics?

10 Posts

December 18th, 2018 12:00

I was experiencing the same issue on the G7, a clean Windows install did wonders. So much bloatware on these machines.

December 18th, 2018 12:00

1. My G5 came with Windows 10, so I am not sure. My best guess is that if you perform a "reset this PC" your windows licence will be maintained. However, looking back, I do not think a clean installation would be necessary.

2. I went to "Control Panel ->Uninstall a Program" and uninstalled all software made by Dell. I would try to uninstall "Dell Support Assist" first and see if that solves the issue.

3. Yes and yes, also the newest BIOS (1.6.1).

Hope it helps.

1 Message

March 7th, 2019 11:00

I have the exact same issue on my g5 15 5587 too, I actually contacted dell, and they said there was an issue with the integrated soundcard. I sent it to them for repairs, and it comes back with the same issue! I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I've followed your advice and uninstalled dell support assistant, but I'm a bit hesitant to uninstall the other dell programs, aren't any of them necessary for the pc to fully function? I could use some reassurance on this step. Thanks in advance!

29 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 20:00

You can probably remove the Dell Support/Update apps (you can always re-install) but there's a couple that are drivers that you should leave alone. - I see Mobile Connect and Power Manager that should probably stay.

glen

1 Message

November 30th, 2019 12:00

Hello,
I have a Dell G5 5587 and experience the same problems : sound pops whenever my laptop is connected to external speakers, and video stutters, sometimes a lot, sometimes less.
I uninstalled every Dell software, but the problem remain unchanged.
Any new solution ?
I really feel this laptop didn't worth the 1550$ I payed for it...:/

5 Posts

January 29th, 2024 12:59

It is just me or is this the worst models... what software did you uninstall for fix this stuttering issue?

5 Posts

January 29th, 2024 12:59

@ThousandSOn​ What software did you reinstall / uninstall?

No Events found!