craig191
1 Nickel

Re: Inspiron G5 15-5587, thermals, cooling, fan control

Jump to solution

I don't understand why they wont give us control. If I want my fans full blast emphasis on the MY fans, there mine I should be able to do as I please and that's have them full blast to keep my PC at optimum temperature.

Jump to solution

So i have called and called many many times and spent many hours on the phone with various customer service and tech support reps. this is ridiculous and has gone on long enough. they cant rip off consumers like this and get away with it. 1.6 bios update change log even states one of the "features" they added was reduced skin temperature and reduced fan noise. there has to be something this is ridiculous. i cant even play games without stuttering around like a child with their very first pc with the core 2 duo processor from 10 years ago. disabling turbo boost brings temps down to no higher than 70, but if youre playing a cpu intensive game, ie any strategy game, or simulation game, it cant handle going past 27-33 fps. your cpu then becomes a massive bottleneck, which should not be the case for a 1200 dollar MID-LEVEL gaming computer. oh and oh yea! did you guys know theyve realeased the "New" G5 15 gaming series laptop? and its very obvious dell cares about their customers about as much as ea does. 

edit i also forgot to mention, yes i have tried undervolting. in fact with bios 1.8 i have no choice but to undervolt. if i dont even worse performance in games, and thermals will reach high enough that the computer shuts itself off to keep it from frying the cpu!

Starvald
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Limit Break, I recommend using Throttlestop and instead of disabling turbo, you can limit max turbo speed which will also greatly lower temperatures.

0 Kudos
cesiumwave
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

agreed i have the same system and went through everything , disabling turbo boost, undervolting.. if i could just control the dang fans it wouldnt be a prob idle

Evsign
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Inspiron G3 has same issues.

0 Kudos
Infinitycoast
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Not a gamer but I purchased Inspiron G3 for work and the thermal management is absolutely terrible! There doesn't seem to be some fan curve, just 2 points at which the fans change the speed. Its either not cooling or starts to cool after thermal throttle. Complete disaster. This doesn't affect my work as much, but I just can't look at this thing frying itself for no good reason.

0 Kudos
ubb
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The worst part is, this is the reply when I PM'ed one of the mods about this issue. Because I used profanity multiple times. In my opinion, nothing was offensive. So what should Dell do to itself, since I get warning because I use these words, but they DON'T fix the problems that they caused at the first place? Probably they will ban me for their stupid move. Well, I won't be surprised if they will :/

Screenshot_5.png

avenger4534
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Good news guys our efforts gave fruit DELL has released bios 1.9 HERE for the Inspiron G5 15-5587 and Inspiron G7 15-7588. You can see in driver details as :

Enhancement:
- Added the Thermal Management feature in the Dell Power Manager application version 3.0. 

I think they finally decided to fix the thermals after many months and user complaints. Thank you all for your efforts on many platforms to make DELL hear us.

Caula
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Dear all, I just installed and tested the new bios. We managed to get something, finally. In fact updating the bios to 1.9.0 version, you can set a cpu/fan curve preset from the dell power manager. You can't really draw your curve and the processor still gets to 100° (celsius) testing with cinebench, but fans spin way more if set on best performance mode. Since I've been tweaking stuff with XTU or Throttlestop a lot lately, I can confirm that coupling this new bios with a -135mV on my 8750h offset (both core voltage and cache voltage) keeps my computer cool. We still don't have complete control, but at least we're not burning down the house anymore. I'll be testing third party fan controllers in the next days (right now speedfan doesn't even detect fans anymore apparently and get back to you). Thank you all for reading and participating in this. Really.

Highlighted
avenger4534
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Bios 1.9.0 is the exact optimization we have been waiting so far. After you install Dell Power Manager Service for your G5/G7 you can see the Thermal Management options as below

thermal management.png

There are 4 different options to optimize the fans as we like. I am trying for an hour, as I understand they implemented our beloved bios 1.3 fan curve in Ultra Performance Mode In that mode fans react much sooner and you never see the temps spike to unacceptable levels. Cool mode is to prevent surface temperature and the Quiet mode is for the ones who desire no fan noise when using device. I advice you not to use optimized mode because they use bios 1.4 thermal table in that option. As you can see chrome tabs and many other applications are open but temps never past beyond 75C.

Dell finally understand the problem and gave the us many fan curve options to use the device as we wish. I thank you all again for giving feedback to Dell and make that possible. I also thank DELL for this user friendly solution.