Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

May 18th, 2019 19:00

Inspiron G7 15-7588, insane power throttling

Seriously! What is with this insane power throttling, it literally makes me computer unusable. I've tried everything to possibly fix this. Undervolting, does nothing, changing TDP in throttle stop, does nothing, disabling Turbo boost does nothing. I don't want to hear any nonsense about "protecting the lifespan" of the cpu due to temperatures. One, my temperatures never get very high (especially with turbo disabled.) Two I don't want to "protect the lifespan" of a cpu, that literally can't run a YouTube video. Ignoring the other plethora of issues I've had with this computer, this issue alone, makes me severely regret even considering this laptop, it is literally unusable.

Inspiron G7 15-7588
i7-8750H
16GB 2667MHz ram

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 20th, 2019 07:00

It appears that this Inspiron G7 15-7588 is acting as designed. All of these Inspiron laptops have strong power and temperature limitation controls built into the BIOS.

Inspiron G7 15-7588 and Inspiron G5 15-5587 users should update the BIOS to the latest. BIOS 1.10.0 was released on 4/19/19. When done, restart the laptop. Then, download and install the Dell Power Manager Service 3.3.0 or later. When done, restart the laptop and retest.

Laptop BIOS installation instructions

* The AC power adapter must be connected to the Laptop
* The Laptop is not connected to any form of dock
* Disconnect all external USB drives from the Laptop
* Download/Save the BIOS file to the Windows desktop
* Close all unnecessary software applications (Steam, Anti-virus, etc. )
* Find the saved BIOS file on the Windows desktop
* Right click the file and choose, "Run as administrator". Note, you do not need to "extract" the file. Just run it
* Follow the prompted instructions. The Laptop will reboot on its own
* Once back into Windows, restart the Laptop

Laptop Dell Power Manager Service installation instructions
* Download the Dell Power Manager Service 3.3.0 or later to the Windows desktop
* Find the saved Dell Power Manager Service file on the Windows desktop
* Right click the file and choose, "Run as administrator". Note, you do not need to "extract" the file. Just run it
* Follow the prompted instructions. When done, restart the Laptop

By the way, the registered owner is still BEST BUY PURCHASING LLC. You have to register this Laptop into your name using the online form.

May 21st, 2019 06:00

How is throttling to 800mhz, making it so I can't even open chrome when the temperatures  are never getting high, and the power usage is never exceeding ~30 watts on the cpu? When I first had the laptop, no issues, then a bios update happened and its been this way ever since, this does not sound like it is operating as "intended."

I do not mean to be harsh, but this is frankly unbelievably ridiculous. A laptop retailing for over 800 dollars, cannot even open a website that my 3DS can handle, due to power throttling, and it is supposedly working as intended?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 21st, 2019 07:00

Does the Dell pre-Windows ePSA Diagnostics pass or fail?

1 Message

December 28th, 2019 19:00

when i bought this laptop while playing games it used to give insane throtling and temprature would go 95 c above sometime101 max it went once lol my eggs could be fried to solve the problem i first undervolted my lappy it worked well but i want to run my lappy on  full power so i went to a person who had very good knowledge on computer he told me to apply paste and increase the ssd so he applied 

Cooler Master MasterGel Maker High Performance Edition Thermal Paste

and 1td wd blue m.2 ssd after that  i did my lappy stress test for 30min it showed only 85 c temprature with no throttling which was prety nice

(the guy told me if i wanted more good performance he suggested to me replace big hard disk with sata ssd so that power consupmtion wold be less but i told him no because my budget was less hehehehe)

WARNING:KINDLY DONT CONTACT CUSTOMER CARE PROBLEM FOR THIS REASON (INDIA) BECAUSE

THERE technician ARE ALL FOOL AND DONT HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE ABOUT IT  AND THER OFFLINE CARE IS WORST 

1 Message

February 26th, 2020 07:00

Any update on this?

My computer still getting on turtle mode whenever i unplug it.

Can you make the min/max cpu speed configurable?

I use it as a main development machine, and i only use it with batteries whenever i had to move into another office for some meeting.

Also, on meetings (i didn't have the opportunity to test it with today's update) with Hangouts, Skype, Zoom and Webex sometimes the machine locks randomly on intervals of 2 to 30 seconds. 

Regards

3 Apprentice

• 

547 Posts

February 26th, 2020 14:00

This is completely normal, it's called Enhanced SpeedStep. The benefit of it is to provide cooler temperatures and longer battery life while the computer is idle. When you open or use a program, the processor should increase in speed (up to its rated frequency) until it becomes idle again. Intel's Turbo Boost pushes the processor speed past its rated frequency. (Think of it as occasional overclocking). Disabling Turbo Boost may also help maintain lower temperatures, but it won't make the computer constantly run at its rated frequency. You'll have to go though the BIOS and see if there is an option to disable SpeedStep.

Also, what Intel processor & GPU does your computer have?

EDIT: Yikes! Just realized that this is a 9 month old discussion that was recently revived.

1 Message

March 26th, 2020 05:00

It feels so frustating to use this machine on battery. It crawls down to 0.8Mhz. Dont know why this cap though what it solves for them. Cant even watch a video on this machine. Really regretting my purchase. You should introduce gaming laptops in other series than alienware if u cant handle basic things

1 Message

May 17th, 2020 09:00

i had the  same problem in 2020 hahaha.
what fixed it to me, was update the Dell Power Manager and select ultra performance into thermal management options

i hape that it's help someone

1 Message

June 7th, 2020 11:00

Still nothing on this Dell?  PS I'm not paying for out of warranty support for something that appears to have been broken by a BIOS update.  I've tried every permutation and combination of fixes I've found on the forums with no success.  Pretty sure this is the last Dell laptop I purchase unless this is fixed.

2 Posts

June 16th, 2020 19:00

Did u update the bios as well because I can’t play games (ex. Warzone) without having to disable SpeedStep and Turbo in bios. I also had to undervolt my CPU and GPU so they would both not go above 95°c.

June 17th, 2020 02:00

What battery power plan are you using? If you are on power-saving mode then CPU won't turbo boost and only stays below the base clock.

I don't know what your experience was with dell India, but mine was great. I purchased my Inspiron gaming laptop(50k) with premium support (about 10k for 3 years). I made 15 service requests in 2 years of purchasing my laptop with 5 dispatches(replacement of parts onsite which sums up to 80-90k!). Maybe there are different support persons for normal support and premium support.

I may be interacted with like 25-30 support persons to date and what I found was people behind the call support are experienced and know what they are doing, while Whatsapp(India) support I felt like they are not very well trained/inexperienced.

If you don't believe me I can send screenshots of page 15 service requests.

So you get what you paid for I guess.

Maybe the issue is with the charger. Does your laptop still experience throttling after unplugging the charger?

What I observed with my laptop is that if I connect a 90W dell charger(sister's) instead of  OEM 130W dell charger, the CPU would throttle to 0.8Ghz similar to yours and stay there until I unplug.

Also, try updating all drivers from the dell website if you had not done it.

Maybe try removing the battery and directly use the charger and check if you still experience the same issue.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2020 03:00

I use everything I can for maximum performance. What I more recently noticed is that when playing COD Warzone is that my GPU clocks down from around 1278MHz to 139MHz and it is locked there. When this happens the GPU usage is at 100% and the temperatures are in the 90s

June 17th, 2020 04:00

90 degrees is very hot for a GPU.  If your laptop throttles even with fans blowing full, then its time to clean the fans and change the thermal paste.

I had the same issue with my laptop after a motherboard replacement. The technician didn't repaste the thermal paste and I saw thermal throttling on my laptop. After I contacted dell about the issue, they sent me 2 fans and heatsink with the technician to replace(which are unnecessary btw according to me, but it's nice that Dell sent them). After the replacement and repasting the issue was gone.

No Events found!