Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

June 12th, 2019 10:00

Inspiron G7 15-7590, CPU temp extremely high

I received my new G7 15 7590 laptop last week and I've had high temp issues out of the box.

Specs: i7-9750h, RTX 2060, 16 GB RAM

The temps seem excessively high and I can't seem to get them to decrease even with undervolting etc. This has always worked with my previous two gaming laptops. Whenever I run a simple 5 minute UserBenchmark test, the CPU immediately gets to 100 degrees under full load. Also hits 100 degrees consistently while gaming (which I have only done for 10 min since I've had the thing, but it got to 100 degrees instantly). 

Things I have attempted to alleviate this issue:

1. Update BIOS and all drivers - I updated the BIOS to 1.6.0 and that didn't change anything

2. Installed Dell Power Manager to increase fans...didn't help even on full blast. 

3. Undervolt: -140...no improvement in temps (which really surprised me). 

What I don't understand is how none of these three things have helped the temps out...not even so much as a few degrees. I am debating resetting the PC and reinstalling Windows, but I'm not sure if that will help either. Any tips or advice on how to lower these temps would be greatly appreciated. 

June 13th, 2019 07:00

I recently posted a discussion regarding the extremely high CPU temps that were consistently hitting 100 degrees on my new G7. It's the 7590 model and has an i7-9750h chip. After days of troubleshooting/researching, I think I finally have found a temporary solution. Hopefully this will help some people with the new G5/G7 RTX models and save them time with finding a potential cooling solution. 

NOTE: When I first got this laptop, I was able to adjust thermal/fan settings through Alienware Command Center. This worked for a few hours the then suddenly those options wouldn't load...every time I opened AWCC it would just show a spinning/loading icon and never start. I restarted PC/AWCC but nothing changed, still wouln't load. After uninstalling/reinstalling via the Dell instructions, I have no longer had the Thermal or Overclock options show under the Fusion tab. OC Controls were reinstalled as well. 

So that brings up my next point, how was I going to control the fans? This is my first Dell laptop, so I was not familiar with other routes to take etc. I ended up downloading the Dell Power Manager and set the thermal profile to high performance. This does increase the fans, but I found this along with AWCC extremely buggy. For instance, when I select the high performance option in Dell Power Manager, it takes upwards of 5 minutes before the fans actually kick on. I have tried reinstalling...did not help. Not sure if this is normal or not. 

After I finally got the fans to kick at full load, I then took to Throttlestop to undervolt etc.. I initially applied offsets to the CPU core/cache and adjusted a few other settings (used the Bob of All Trades Youtube video settings)...still was hitting 100 degrees. At this point I about gave up. I then decided to lower the "turbo ratio limits" from 3.6 - 3.8 ghz. This combined with the other Throttlestop settings and Dell Power Manager fan control got temps down to the low 90s...FINALLY. However, I'm still in the 90+ degree range and only hitting 3.6 to 3.7 ghz. Seems unacceptable to me in a brand new $1500+ gaming laptop. 

Here's what I initially tried to help lower the CPU temp:

Updated all drivers and BIOS - no effect on temp

Reinstalled Windows - no effect on temp

Undervolted via Intel XTU - no effect on temp

Adjusted Windows/Dell power settings - no effect on temp

If anyone has any further advice and tips on cooling this model I would appreciate it!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 13th, 2019 08:00

Intel states here on their site that the i7-9750H TJunction allowable temperature is 100°C.

June 13th, 2019 10:00

So you're saying that these 100 temps that are reached within moments of opening a game are acceptable? This wasn't like I was stressing the CPU for hours. It reaches 100 degrees instantly. With a brand new laptop. The i7-8750H also says that it has an allowable t-junction temp of 100 degrees. I have owned two previous Acer Predator gaming laptops that both had the i7-8750H chip and neither had any issue close to this Dell G7. Before any kind of undervolt, I would be around 91-92 degrees max on the Acer laptops. And that is with the same exact game. It's not like I have to be playing a game either...these temps are reached when I download applications as well. My frustration is that these temperatures (regardless of being safe or not) will cause throttling, consequently affecting gaming performance. In a "gaming" laptop. Go figure. 

Do you have any advice on the Alienware Command Center issue and how to get the thermal controls to show back up? The only option shown under the Fusion tab is power management. This seems to be a recurring problem on the new G7 laptops. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the OC Controls both times to no avail. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 13th, 2019 12:00

Thank you for your message. Please uninstall AWCC by following the video on this link   

Please update the AWCC application from Support site followed by the Alienware OC Controls.

Update the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework driver followed by the BIOS (even if you have the latest version)

Once AWCC is installed set the active system theme – Thermal as a performance mode.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find the service tag

June 13th, 2019 12:00

Just to clarify before I start:

Step 1: Uninstall AWCC (do I need to also uninstall the OC Controls as well?)

Step 2: Update the AWCC application followed by the OC Controls (from Dell site)

Step 3: Update the Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver (even if I have most recent version)

Step 4: Update the BIOS (even if I have the most recent version - - which I do, I am currently running 1.6.0)

Is this all correct?

1 Message

July 14th, 2019 11:00

Hi I too have a G7 laptop (Specs: i7-9750h, RTX 2060, 16 GB RAM) and out of the box the temps were surprisingly stupidly high and 100 degrees was being hit near constant and then thermal throttling, power limiting and current limiting to try and maintain the temps. I thought for a new laptop that is was excessive and disappointed that is wasn't at least on par with my old G5. That being said, I enjoy the challenge and I have now managed to achieve some impressive results with some fiddling. I am not sure if this voids your warranty but I could care less as it just shouldn't be this hot and I have proved that the system with tweaks can perform way outside of the Dell factory performance level. First I did the some benchmarks and 3d tests and found that the yes the CPU and GPU are crippled by poor manufacturer settings, drivers and thermal restrictions. After running many bench's the CPU and GPU were massively under performing from Intel and Nvidia base line and as I found this unacceptable started tweaking what I could. *Please undertake this at your own risk, I will not be held responsible for any damage to your system or voiding of warranty's if you choose to replicate my results. Ok, download the latest bios for the G7 from Dell, this won't help in the slightest with your thermal problems but it is important to keep things up to date and I believe it does contain a very minor adjustment to the EC firmware. - Next download your self a copy of HWInfo64 bit edition and install. Once done, run the sensor only components as the rest isn't really needed here. Click the settings cog on the bottom right and change the global polling period to 200ms and press set. Your reading will start updating very quickly. Next find the small icon located on the bottom of the dialog box that looks like a desktop PC fan (Click it) (accept the warning) From there click the custom fan option and from the drop down menu for fan 1 select the CPU Intel and CPU 0 Temp and match it with the next drop down box. (Set your temps from 50 to 80 degrees and then the corresponding amount that the fans should run at and press ok. (2200 RPM to 4900 RPM) Perform the same for fan 2 but choose GPU 2060 RTX and Temp 0 (set temps and press OK). Set your fan re-spin period to 1000ms and press ok. By doing this you will by pass the Dell EC firmware and take control of the normally very poor and delayed fan activation that came as standard, this will help reduce throttling and bring your temps under some level of control. The temps will remain high but as the fans will kick in quickly and at high speed your performance will be increased. (Although not in a super-duper way by comparison to the below additional actions.) You can also undervolt the processor in XTU with an offset of -155 which will pick up performance again however it is minimal. I have found that the EC Fans and the Dell Bios control to be very poor and the system will happily let itself melt before bringing in the fans so the above software bypass is a must or at least until Dell release a bios that caters for this short coming. --- The next step is to get physical with your G7. (Again own risk here as PC knowledge is required) You will need to get your hands on some thermal paste from your retailer of choice, in the end I tried three types. (Arctic Silver, Graphite Thermal Pads and Liquid Metal) Also you will need some alcohol wipes or similar to remove and clean the surfaces. Find a flat surface and lay out a protective cover so not to damage the plastics. Unscrew all of the base screws and gently prise the base metal chassis away from the rear corners until it pops off. (It comes away quite easily) You should then be staring at the heart of your system, find the battery connection and pull up gently to make sure the board is unpowered. (anti statics is advisable but its up to you). Undo the (spring) screws around the GPU and CPU heat sink as well as the smaller 3 X screws around each fan. Gently remove each fan and unplug gently from the board. Then remove the heat sink which if fully loose will come away very easily. You will see when you remove the heat sink that Dell have been overly generous with the factory "rubbish" thermal compound paste and is most likely capped all over the CPU and GPU. Place the heat sink away from the laptop and using the wipes remove the thermal paste making sure to almost polish the copper so to make a good flat clean surface. Very gently do the same to the GPU and CPU until nice and shiny. You may notice that the CPU dye is quite small and GPU dye is rather massive by comparison, the stupid thing is that the Nvidia GPU is engraved which creates air pockets that hinders some attempts to transfer heat. Re-paste the CPU and GPU with a light covering of your chosen thermal paste/compound. I had varying results and the liquid metal won the test on this but it is conductive so use with caution. The next favourite was surprisingly the Graphite Pad which just cuts to size. Re-seat the heat sink being careful not to slide it around and re-screw until both fans and heat sink are secure. Reconnect the battery connector and replace the rear cover. Combined with software fan adjustments and the liquid metal, I have been able to get my CPU from 103 degrees to 76 degrees at full gaming load along with a GPU temp of between 70 and 80 degrees depending on game. (Star Citizen at Full 4K Resolution and everything on Max. No thermal throttling, no power limiting and no current limiting. 55 FPS as an average. XTU Score went from 1300 (Factory) to 2113 (Modified) with a User-benchmark score of 90th Percentile from a under performing 73rd. (Factory) The laptop is now out performing anything in a similar class and is what I hoped it would be out of the box. Idling temps between 46 and 55 degrees. I hope this helps. I have pictures but I can't seem to upload them here.* Christopher

9 Posts

July 16th, 2019 14:00

Is it easy to change thermal paste on G7 15 7590 ? 

9 Posts

July 16th, 2019 14:00

Same problem here, hitting 100 degrees easily even when launching PUBG on mixed low/ultra settings, tried undervolting did ( -0.160 mA ) dropped by 4 degrees, getting all the time throttling, thinking about repasting or something, because it's crazy when its all the time from 90 - 100 degrees

16 Posts

July 17th, 2019 17:00

checkin in here. 

G7 7590 - i7 - RTX 2070 

Im not sure what happened with mine, just started happening yesterday hitting 100c and then it shuts down.... This is my 3rd unit. Im passed my 30 day now, my only option is to send it in for warranty but i think that will be a waste of time. Anyone have any success with warranty? 

9 Posts

July 19th, 2019 11:00

Soo, yesterday night did some research, a friend of mine suggested running TronScript ( which removes all windows bloatware etc ). Successfully launched and waited for about 2 hours to complete. Afterwards downloaded intel XTU did undervolt of -0.140 mV, and changed turbo boost power max to 75.50 W ( Before 60 W ). next downloaded MSI afterburner, where i boosted core clock for about 120 MHz, and memory clock for about 80 MHz, Now in idle my Dell G7590 ( RTX 2070 MQ, i7-9750H ) is running at 40*C degrees, stress tests max temp now is around 86*C Degrees, ( Before 96-100 ) ( even with just an undervolt ) all the time before it was Thermal throttling and power limit throttling. For now i have eliminated both of them, but im thinking about repasting ASAP this laptop, to achieve better temps, because even with a laptop cooler pad its real pain in the ... Before that had same problem as js0uth, it just randomly hits max temp and restarts laptop, now for already a day everything feels fine and smooth.

I will keep experimenting with the settings in XTU and MSI to get even better results.

1 Message

November 10th, 2019 10:00

Thanks! I ran XTU and Msi afterburner, tried those but still continued getting 90C to 95C.

However. I turned off the computer, opened the BIOs (F2 on startup) and disabled Turbo Boost Technology (under performance, I think?).

This reduced temperatures down to 60C to 70C under max load. The fans arent kicking in high gear either. Obviously going to have performance loss but this will be the quick fix until I repaste it.

17 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 01:00

hi there,

Was wondering if you repasted it, and if that make it cooler with turboboost on again?

1 Message

February 11th, 2020 00:00

The only solution I got as a result of my long research ...

1- Enter bios settings by pressing "F2 " at start.

2- Select performans tab and disable "intel turboBoost" ...

IMPORTANT: performance will drop a little bit, but the temperature will not exceed 80 degrees in the game.

and enjoy yourself...

bios settings.png

9 Posts

March 23rd, 2020 07:00

Actually, yes i did repaste the GPU and CPU, temperatures dropped quite a lot.

For example playing csgo on high i had temperature 95-100 degrees.

Now it doesnt go up more than 78 degrees..

Same for stress tests, if it had 100 temp, now maximum in AIDA64 stress test i had 91 degree.

So quite good improvement.

Used Arctic MX-4 thermal paste

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2020 15:00

Guys, understand that this post has been Long since 2019. I just purchased a new G7 I7 9750H with graphic rtx 2070. On my first day after updating my bio firmware, I experienced high temp while playing modern warfare at 95-99 degree. Sometime it hit 100 degree. Just want to check if it’s normal.

ive tried to turn off turbo boost via the F2 function upon reboot that brings down to 81 degree average on high setting. But it defeat the purpose buying this laptop that support turbo boost... any help or recommendation ?.

thank you 

No Events found!