Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SH

4 Posts

July 1st, 2020 07:00

Inspiron G7 17 7790, heating issue, #2

Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could ask for some help. I just recently purchased a Dell G7 7790 2060 RTX Laptop, a mere 3 days ago and I have only now put it through some game tests. In playing Shadow of Tomb Raider on Ultra settings with RTX on, the temperatures for CPU have hit 100 C while GPU is averaging around 80-85. I have updated all the drivers, bios and apps etc. to their latest versions to achieve no improved results. The game plays fine, with extremely minimal, blink of an eye stutters (presumably when temps too high). Otherwise its relatively smooth run. I haven't tried using undervolting nor disabling anything from Bios (aka turbo boost if its enabled at all by default that is). I ran all diagnostics which says that everything is working normally. I did try to use Dell Power Manager to switch to 'Cool' thermal mode, but every time I reawaken the computer or restart it, the settings change back which is unusual, any way to set them permanently?

I looked around online and saw that it is a common occurrence for these line of laptops, but most of these seem to be dated nearly a year ago, so I was hoping kinks would've been worked out. I had no choice but to go for this laptop, given several factors for my current situation. So I am hoping to troubleshoot this if this is indeed an issue: temps reaching 100c for Cpu that is. I have been a desktop user before so this is my first gaming laptop, so I have read mixed things that temps reaching this high on a gaming laptop for this model is Normal and some who have said that this shouldn't be happening. In my desktop experience I have always considered anything above 80-85c to be risky, but I don't know much about laptops.

Is someone able to provide some expertise in this matter? I would greatly appreciate some assist in this issue.

Thank you

• 

25K Posts

July 1st, 2020 07:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

247 Posts

July 1st, 2020 12:00

I definitely think notebooks are running hotter these days, is it a result of OEM's silencing fan speeds to keep noise levels down? Or that CPU's have more cores, higher turbo speeds and faster GPU's as well? Even my Inspiron 5593 with a Core i5 U series with 4 cores and 4 hyperthreads runs near 90c at times just surfing in a browser and watching videos. Yeah the fan finally kicks on, but I think it should be better programmed to keep things much cooler. I worry that longevity is sacrificed for a quiet fan. Not to mention the potential throttling of speed. I wish we could get a more aggressive fan adjustment option in UEFI for those who prefer cooler over noisy. 

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 06:00

Yes, it sounds very much like the Thermal Pasteing of your CPU and for sure your GPU has failed. if you're not comfortable inside of a notebook you should take it to professional.

As far as checking your fan Which is a very good idea, you should download your, Service Manual, it will show you how to open and where everything is located inside and lots more information.

July 3rd, 2020 02:00

Wouldn't GPU failing result in me not being able to game at all properly? I am able to play just fine, it's just those temps that bother me. And the fans do kick in eventually and they're quite loud (loudness is no issue for me as long as things are kept at reasonable temps).

I did disable Turbo Boost from Bios menu which helped bring down the temperature, but I don't think I should've to do something like that to maintain cooler temperatures.

I wasn't getting any response from Dell here so I contacted some local Dell Tech Support and this was his response:

"The Coffee Lake processor supports a higher clock rate than Kabylake or older processors, that means these systems noticeably generate more heat compared to any previous generation of systems. Because of this Dell engineering has designed the system  Dell G7 and other series to tolerate higher temperatures, and the new specifications are:

• CPU peak temperature will be less than or equal to (≤) 100 ℃.
  • When under heavy load the average temperature for the should be less than or equal to (≤) 100 ℃.

“These systems are designed to maintain system stability when the CPU temperature reaches a set temperature (termed the Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) activation point). The TCC is activated and adjusts the CPU frequency down by a couple of hundred MHz to reduce the temperature rise and allow the system’s thermal control mechanism to catch up (The frequency will never be below the Base Frequency Mode, e.g. Intel i9 8950 HK). This slight drop in frequency can sometimes be mistaken for a performance drop, but it is a design feature common to all Gaming Notebooks and it helps to optimize the system performance and prevent systems from exceeding 100 ℃. The TCC = 100 ℃ point for the Dell G3 3590, Dell G5 5590, Dell G7 7590 and Dell G7 7790 systems"

That sort of makes sense but it still hasn't alleviated my concern, but I would appreciate it if you guys can too take a jab at this response and confirm or deny its validity. 

247 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 03:00

Intel seems to engineer these new CPU's to provide longer and faster turbo boost speeds. At the expense of pushing temps to the T Junction max. They don't appear to ever exceed this and depending on thermal cooling designs which can determine how long turbo mode can be engaged. The big side effect of all this is hotter notebooks which have proven to be a complaint on all the OEM PC forums. This is not really a factor unless you are doing CPU intensive task which create far more peaks that push the CPU to that 100c max. It could be a example of why Apple decided to adopt its own ARM CPU for the Mac lineup. It was not about performance with Intel but rather the thermal issues that have begun to plague the mobile platform to get that performance. 

July 3rd, 2020 04:00

Yeah the region is pretty hot these days but I keep the AC running on chilly temperatures for my personal preference as well as for my electronics. Those temps I gave were result of running the laptop under cool room temperature. I'm thinking perhaps I should invest in a cooling pad, I suppose it should help right? This is what I'm understanding that the heating issue is just the way it is and it is no fault per-se but result of modern design and increasing performance loads on these machines, yes?

By the way laptop has vents at the bottom too, curious placement for such a thing. It's got one vent on either side and two on back. But the bottom ones are bound to be restricted since it is placed on a desk

272 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 04:00

Multiple reasons exist why laptops are this way from Dell nowadays.

They use thinner materials to build these laptops and their quality is not good as well.

The region you live in is also responsible for hot laptops. If the ambient temperature in your location is too high, the laptop would find it difficult to release heat properly and cool off.

Have you tested your laptop in cooler ambient environments?

What were the results?

7 Posts

July 6th, 2020 17:00

I have the same model but with the RTX 2070 Max-Q and it runs hot the way it comes set up.

I have not tried replacing thermal paste on the CPU and GPU but I have had good success with undervolting.  Temperatures dropped from 90s or worse down 68 to 80C-ish.

Fairly straight forward to do on a 9000 series CPU using ThrottleStop software (can't do it on 10000 series).  This youtube reviewer has a blurb about the success he achieved using an undervolt.

https://youtu.be/hQv_09WpI1U?t=439

Only issue I've had with this laptop is finding a backpack that will fit.  Dell Pro didn't fit so I'm going to post a question to the community to ask for suggestions.

7 Posts

July 6th, 2020 17:00

30 play session.png

Green graph shows the CPU Temp

1 Message

July 21st, 2020 18:00

I have the previous gen G7 7590 and have been looking into 7700 series as an upgrade, I know with the previous gen the keyboard around WASD would get excessively hot, does this occur with this gen as well?

(Thermal Grizzly kryonaut thermal grease should help keep it under 100)

3 Posts

September 28th, 2020 12:00

Another thing not mentioned in literature about the dell G series laptops is If you have the "alienware command center" installed, pressing the f7 key will turn on "high performance mode" which will ramp the fans up to 100%. 

3 Posts

September 28th, 2020 12:00

2.9ghz?  Mine runs at 3.9Ghz all day long.  100c is definitely normal for these cpus. They'll basically run in boost mode till they hit a thermal or power limit before throttling down. I applied a 140mv undervolt to bring the max temp into the 80's though!

December 7th, 2020 08:00

I have this same problem and need assistance ASAP

3 Posts

December 8th, 2020 19:00

I have the same problem, CPU usage 5-10% and temperature is about 80-90..

9 Posts

April 12th, 2022 20:00

This laptop needs the fans cleaned frequently with the type they are. I clean mine every week or two niw vs the 2-4 before the moderation where i removed the screen covering the fans ti allow more air flow.  And that helped with the coolng... also...REPASTE....their thermal pasteing was HORRID...Kryonaut extream grizzly and I even went 1 step mire when I'm home and hard gaming.. [out and about and light use and battery use is fine with out this but, I got 2 laptop coolers that clip on game back over the heat vents to suck air even faster then the bullet fans in the lappy can] but the first 2 things.. got it under max load ovrclocked in the low 70s no throttling 90%of the time... but u can turn off the throttling up you want.  Now.  There's also a motion sensor u can deactivate because if ur gaming and move ur laptop you may notice dip in frames... that's a safety feature the lappy kicks out when it feels it move to not burn you thinking it's on your lap. So few things can do lits of gooood...

No Events found!