Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2018 05:00

Inspiron N5110 Stuck in "starting windows"

My windows 7 pro is stuck at starting windows at startup, aftersome time it just shuts down and the fan area is kind of hot. Its battery has ended two years ago and i still didn't buy one. I was using the dells software to check my hard drive and the screen froze so i had to force shut down and when i restarted, it got stuck. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

April 26th, 2018 06:00

It's almost certainly a quickly dying hard drive.

Get the drive OUT of the system -- mount it in an external case and attach it to a working system by USB.  The equipment needed is inexpensive -- example:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182313

The longer you delay the backup, the greater the chances you'll lose access to everything on the drive - and then be faced with an expensive bill for data recovery, or the loss of your files.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

April 25th, 2018 05:00

Sounds like it's time to replace the hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 25th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for your message. This seems to be an issue with either Windows OS or the hard drive.

Run a custom test on the hard drive by following below steps & check if there is an error. This test may take about 30 minutes to complete.

1) Press at the Dell Logo screen

2) At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, then press to begin ePSA.

3) Choose no for memory test and then choose system test

4) Now click on custom test and highlight hard drive and click run test

If the test passes without any errors you may need to consider reinstalling the OS.

15 Posts

April 25th, 2018 22:00

This time, I let the screen be frozen for as long as I could wait, upon my surpsurp after 10 minutes it proceeded to login page. What could be wrong? 

Edit : When I tried to type the keys, the screen froze once again and I had to force shut it down. If i try it again the laptop just seems to overheat and shut down.

Could there be another solution? I really can't reset since there are many important documents. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

April 26th, 2018 03:00

Get those documents backed up, NOW.  The hard drive is very suspect (if necessary, remove the drive from the system and connect it to a working system to copy the files).

If the system is overheating, that could be one issue.  Since removing the drive requires a complete system tear-apart on this model, clean out all the dust inside and replace the thermal pads while you're in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0OM7cothHU

If you're going to keep the system a while, I'd replace the drive -- getting to it in this model is so much work it makes no sense to put it back together with the original drive.

15 Posts

April 26th, 2018 05:00

An update.
This time I managed to successfully login the user, only problem is the system would freeze every 5seconds , after a few freezes it literally won't be back to normal,just hangs.. Don't think I could make a backup with that. What could be the cause of this freezing?

I also tried running in safe mode, most of the times if I keep pressing F8 , nothing would pop up as the screen progresses to Starting Windows, but some times it does work but running in safe mode also, hangs when windows files are loading.

15 Posts

April 27th, 2018 03:00

Thank you, I will try doing as said. Just a last question.

My battery being dead, does it affect anything in the laptop? My keyboard has some keys such as L,O and . which have stopped working, just wanna make sure if the battery is the cause.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

April 27th, 2018 04:00

No, the battery doesn't affect the keyboard.  It's most likely the key switches are worn out.

September 1st, 2018 13:00

It is suggested that you first run an analytic test to check for basic mistakes with the equipment gadgets on your PC, screen or tablet. You can run a brisk test, full test or even test a choice of equipment gadgets (custom test) on your Dell PC or tablet. On the off chance that the demonstrative test recognizes an equipment issue, you can audit investigating proposals that can enable you to determine the issue, catch mistake codes that can enable you to settle your gadget or get new parts without calling specialized help. You may get follow https://appuals.com/fix-windows-10-start-menu-not-working/ which help to get rid of this issue.

No Events found!