mcduox
1 Nickel

Inspiron gaming 7577 Slow on battery CPU 800MHz

When I run the laptop pluged in, it's all fine. CPU base Freq is 2.8GHz but manages to stay around 3.50GHz.

When I unplug the power, the fun starts. I mean stops. It would drop to 1.5GHz then 800Mhz and stay there as long as I have a load. Exemple, if nothing is running, it will go back to 1.5 ish but as soon as I start something, Chrome for exemple, it goes down to 800MHz. It is so slow that you can't even watch a Youtube video.

I tried disabling Intel Speedstep, update all drivers, play with minimum CPU freq. in power management, reinstall Windows from scratch I even unplugged the battery for a while as suggested in another post. Disabling the dGPU... No luck.

The computer is almost unusable on battery. 

Intel Extreme tuning utility reports constant Power Limit Throttling on battery.

I have the i7 7700hq model. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Inspiron gaming 7577 Slow on battery CPU 800MHz

This is completely normal - there's no way the battery can power the system at full speed.

Also note that disabling speedstep forces the CPU to run as if on battery all the time.

If you're using the CPU at full speed -- and even more the GPU -- you must have the system plugged in.  

0 Kudos
mcduox
1 Nickel

I know this CPU is hungry but I bought this laptop to play while plugged in but to surf the web on the couch at night. What's the purpose of having a battery then?

0 Kudos
Tawagny
1 Nickel

I did every single tip i found to the limit and installed the BIOS 1.6 even ... that led to reinstalling windows ... seems this problem started after the 1.42 bios ,.. I have the 7567 also with i7 7700hq 4k  interestingly it does not have this issue !!!!!!

0 Kudos
ArchieFunker
1 Copper

Not true, I just updated my bios from 1.1 because I was having the issue hoping I could fix it.  Same problem.  In order for Dell to make a thin laptop, they skimped on the battery, it doesn't have enough guts to run this thing, that has to be it.  A complete f up by Dell in my opinion.  I would expect to stream a movie on battery, why the f it can't do that boggles my mind.

I am selling this POS and getting a different laptop that actually does what it is supposed to do.  The dedicated graphics implementation is a joke.  What a mistake it was buying this thing.

Up yours Dell, all I ever owned was dell, but the customer service went from terrible to unbearable, and now the hardware is junk too.  See ya....

0 Kudos