Highlighted
SpartyGuy
1 Copper

Inspiron touchpad goes crazy

I am experiencing a touchpad problem that others have also commented on.  The touchpad on my Inspiron 15 7548 will spontaneously go crazy with what appears to be continuous clicks and swipes that causes me to lose control of the laptop.  I have had to force full hard shutdowns just to limit the damage this does to my desktop and files.  The driver is dated 6/21/2006 however only a HID mouse driver shows under device manager...even after doing a 'scan for hardware changes' and showing 'hidden devices'.  I was also using a wireless keyboard that I have since unplugged in case there is a conflict with the keypad driver.  In settings I also reduced the sensitivity to the least sensitive setting and disabled all the fancy gestures, etc. 

Since making these changes it's been running fine but this has been a major problem.  My folders have been corrupted with spurious files and folders and shortcut files all copied from other folders, etc.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Inspiron touchpad goes crazy

Remove the base cover -- any sign of the battery swelling?

0 Kudos
SpartyGuy
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron touchpad goes crazy

Interesting theory.  Thanks for the idea.  Will investigate and respond.  btw, I found a synoptics driver on Dell support.  Installed it and got an entry in the devices list that wasn't there before.  Maybe that will help.  Regarding the battery, the laptop is always plugged in due to its use as a permanent appliance in my AV system.  Not sure that's good for the battery since it never get discharged. 

0 Kudos