Highlighted
Professorpg
Copper

Inspiron15 7000 Gaming hard drives

I have an Inspiron15 7000 Gaming. It has 2 hard drives, a 128GB and a 1TB drive. Everything gets put into the smaller drive. How and what can I put into the larger drive so that the smaller is not full. It warns me every so often.

Intel® Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

32.00 GB installed of 32.00 GB supported

SK hynix SC311 SATA 128GB

WCD WD10JPVX-75JC3T0 1TB 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Saltgrass
Platinum

Re: Inspiron15 7000 Gaming hard drives

Since we don't know the exact configuration of your system and Dell has decided it is not important for folks to post pictures necessary to explain a problem, could you tell us what partitions you show on the 128 GB drive? 

Does Disk Management show two different drives with the correct size showing?

Depending you how your system is configured, 128 GB may be enough if you place Data on the other drive.  But you purchased the system as it is, so how did you expect it to be configured?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
jphughan
Diamond

As Saltgrass said, typically the large spinning drive is used for data that might be large but where fast access isn't as much of a priority, such as large collections of photos, music, movies, software installers, etc.  You can even move your regular "My Documents/Pictures/Music" folders in your user profile onto the D drive, but that can make things complicated if you ever want to get rid of that drive, especially if you don't have enough capacity on the C drive later to temporarily move that data BACK before you remove the larger drive -- so often users will just create new folders on the large spinning drive and manage contents manually.  You can also technically install applications on that drive as well if you change the installation path from the default C:\Program Files to D:\Program Files (or whatever you want to create) when you install a particular application, but that can make it even more complicated to replace that drive later.

If you don't have any obvious candidate data to move over to that drive, maybe you just need to buy a larger SSD and clone your current SSD onto it.

0 Kudos
Professorpg
Copper

It shows partition 1,4,5,6 as Simple,Basic,100%free. It shows DATA(D) as Simple,Basic,86%free. . It shows OS(C) as Simple,Basic,15%free.

I bought this computer because Fusion360 said my ThinkPad was not fast enough. (Lenovo ThinkPad Twist S230u - 12.5" - Core i5 3317U - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD)

I did not realize it was putting everything onto the smaller drive until it told me it was getting full. As jphughan said, I moved and deleted from the OS(C)  "My Documents/Pictures/Music" folders in your user profile onto the D drive.

It looks like I need to remove program apps and reinstall them on the DATA(D). Does this make sense to you?

Thank you for your help.

Professorpg

….

0 Kudos
jphughan
Diamond

Yes, unfortunately very few Windows applications will work properly if you simply move their folder from one drive to another.  You will indeed have to uninstall and reinstall.

0 Kudos