2blakcat
1 Copper

Installing SSD hard drive in an Inspiron 1750

Hi....new member here and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice and/or have any experience with installing a new SSD into Inspiron 1750 laptop.

Basically I've had the laptop from new (around 8/9 years) and the hard drive has failed. It's currently with the PC World/Team Knowhow people looking to see if any of my data is recoverable (stupidly, I hadn't backed it up!!). Anyway, I'll be looking to replace the hard drive once it's returned and I'm considering going for an SSD hard drive.

Previously, I've only used 'normal' platter drives in my laptops/desktops, so I'm completely new to the world of SSD drives... especially the terminology.

So my questions are:

Is my laptop suitable for an SSD hard drive upgrade?

If so, and on the basis of the limited research I've done so far, there seems to be two form factors... 2.5" 7mm and M.2 2280... which one is compatible with my laptop?

Any help or advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks… Michael

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Installing SSD hard drive in an Inspiron 1750

2blakcat,

The Inspiron 1750 system uses Serial-ATA-I (SATA I) and SATA II hard drives.

The Inspiron 1750 is offered with a configuration of 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm drives. The hard drive capacities are as follows:

Hard drives
Size (GB) Speed (rpm)
160 5400
250 5400
320 5400
500 5400
160 7200
250 7200
320 7200
500 7200

Customer Experience Tip contains important information to assist you in providing our customers with the best experience. CE TIP:
All the drives listed above are available at SATA I (1.5 Gbps) and SATA II (3 Gbps) speeds.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Only a 2.5" drive will work - there is no M.2 support in this system.  Also bear in mind that the system is old enough it won't support the full speed of an SSD (yes, an SSD will far outperform a hard  drive, but it won't be as fast as the drive is capable of).

0 Kudos
2blakcat
1 Copper

Thanks for your reply ejn63, very helpful... 

I am tempted to get one based on what you have said... though it has prompted another couple of questions if you don't mind  🙂

When you say it won't be as fast as it is capable of (understandable I suppose given the age of the laptop)… I'm sure the ultimate speed I get from any SSD I buy will no doubt be dependant on many factors but, in simplistic terms, would you happen to know what sort of speed increase I'm likely to see in terms of the following?

1) what the speed trade off would be in in percentage terms? For example, if a SSD's capable speed is reflected as 100%, what could I expect a SSD to run at in my system in percentage terms? 

2) what kind of speed increase (again in percentage terms) could I expect over my existing hard drive (which I'm sure is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB)?

Not sure if I've explained myself well (hopefully I have)….or whether its easily answered... I'm sure there's many factors involved... As I say I'm very keen to get one, but just trying to ascertain whether its going to be worthwhile overall given the age of my laptop.

Thanks.....

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Anything that needs to load from disc will be immensely faster.  Boot up, loading programs, etc. will be a night and day difference. 

For overall operation it'll feel like a new system.

However, bear in mind that the CPU and GPU remain the same - so if the slowness you've experienced is due to either of those, the only boost will come from load-up times.  The CPU and GPU will be unaffected (other than that data will reach both much faster than it would have from a spinning disc).

The best you'll ever get is about 70-75 MBps (or about 570 Mbps) from any single spinning hard drive.  A SATA SSD will be running at 3 Gbps -- that's about a factor of 5 better.

0 Kudos
2blakcat
1 Copper

I never really experienced anything running too slow on the laptop to be honest... it wasn't the quickest, but only really used for internet, email, office... that kind of thing.

However the original hard drive failure (head failure apparently) has dictated the change and going by what you're saying a SSD is a no brainer really.

I'll now start looking at what's out there, prices etc and hopefully will have one before the laptop arrives back from PC World.

Thanks again for you help....much appreciated.

0 Kudos