Highlighted
shaha21
1 Nickel

Intel wireless-ac 9260 or Intel Wireless-AC 9560 compatible with Dell inspiron 17R SE 7720?

Hi,

I have a 2013 Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 laptop with an 3rd generation i7 processor. I wanted to know which adaptor is compatible as I wanted to upgrade. I have a 1 gbps internet connection but the laptop wifi won't go above 60 mbps download and upload speed. It currently has Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wireless-N 2230 for the Wi-Fi and for the ethernet it has Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. 

So I wanted to know if I can upgrade to the 1.73 GB wireless adaptor Wireless-AC 9560 or 9260 for my 2013 Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 Laptop. If not this then which one I can upgrade to for the max speed as i have a 1 gbps connection from my internet service provider?

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ieee488
6 Gallium

Re: Intel wireless-ac 9260 or Intel Wireless-AC 9560 compatible with Dell inspiron 17R SE 7720?

You don't have a 1 Gbps from your internet provider. Even the fastest FIOS speed is 500 Mbps.
0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Intel wireless-ac 9260 or Intel Wireless-AC 9560 compatible with Dell inspiron 17R SE 7720?

@ieee488 wrote:
You don't have a 1 Gbps from your internet provider. Even the fastest FIOS speed is 500 Mbps.

You really came here just to tell the OP that he doesn't have Gigabit service?  Google Fiber, AT&T, and Comcast, Spectrum, and Sonic all now offer residential Gigabit service in certain areas of the US and are able to achieve real-world throughput in the mid-900s range.  And for that matter how do you even know the OP is in the US?  Other countries were offering residential Gigabit well before anyone in the US did.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

To answer the OP's question, the 9260 would be the better option.  The 9560 is designed to work in collaboration with CPUs that have moved some RF equipment from WiFi cards into the CPU itself, and to my knowledge those CPUs aren't on the market yet.  However, I would caution that the 9260 to my knowledge has not been shipped with any new systems yet, so if you're planning to buy through some person on eBay, I would be concerned over where they're getting their inventory.  It's possible that the parts they're selling are:

- Scrappers, which are genuine parts that failed QA
- Factory seconds, where the factory that was contracted to build the genuine parts performs additional, unauthorized production runs to build units that they sell themselves, and sometimes these units use inferior parts
- Complete counterfeit units.

The fact that a card works when you install it does not mean it is genuine, or even that it's performing the way it should be.  Personally I would either wait until the 9260 is available from trusted sellers. If you want to improve your speeds in the meantime, you could buy the Intel 8265, which as of this writing is $21 on Amazon, so even if you ultimately want to get the 9260, you might consider that a reasonable cost for an interim improvement.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

One additional note: Even with the 9260, you may not get your full 1 Gbps service.  Advertised WiFi speeds are very often much higher than what you can achieve in the real world.  And another major factor will of course be your router or access points.  I haven't looked in the last year or so, but I currently have an RT-AC88U, which is an 802.11ac Wave 2 router capable of 4x4 transmission and MU-MIMO, and according to reviews, it seems to top out around 870 Mbps -- and that's only achieved when bridging with another AC88U.  But even if things have improved significantly since then, I hope you have a very new, top-end WiFi router to pair with your new top-end WiFi card.

0 Kudos
ieee488
6 Gallium

@jphughan wrote:

@ieee488 wrote:

You really came here just to tell the OP that he doesn't have Gigabit service?  Google Fiber, AT&T, and Comcast, Spectrum, and Sonic all now offer residential Gigabit service in certain areas of the US and are able to achieve real-world throughput in the mid-900s range.  And for that matter how do you even know the OP is in the US?  Other countries were offering residential Gigabit well before anyone in the US did.

Newbies are always confused because the ports on their routers are advertised as Gigabit and they get all excited.

All your pontification ends up being pointless because it is as simple as what I wrote above.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@ieee488 wrote:

Newbies are always confused because the ports on their routers are advertised as Gigabit and they get all excited.

All your pontification ends up being pointless because it is as simple as what I wrote above.

It is certainly possible that the OP is confused by seeing a Gigabit link between their router and modem.  However, it is ALSO possible that the OP does in fact have Gigabit service all the way back to their ISP.  So no, it is absolutely not as simple as what you originally wrote above, because what you wrote was, "You don't have 1 Gbps service from your provider", and you have no way of knowing that for certain.

0 Kudos
ieee488
6 Gallium

@jphughan wrote:

@ieee488 wrote:

It is certainly possible that the OP is confused by seeing a Gigabit link between their router and modem.  However, it is ALSO possible that the OP does in fact have Gigabit service all the way back to their ISP.  So no, it is absolutely not as simple as what you originally wrote above, because what you wrote was, "You don't have 1 Gbps service from your provider", and you have no way of knowing that for certain.

I have no way of knowing; that is right. But I err on the side of greatest probability.

Waiting for the OP to enlighten us what prompted his panic.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Well if you don't know for certain, you could have at least said that he MIGHT not have Gig service from his provider and tried to help by clearly explaining the distinction between the link between router and modem vs. ISP bandwidth.  And your comment about the fastest available FIOS being 500 Mbps suggests that you weren't even aware a residential Gigabit Internet connection was a possibility.  But rather than being able to admit that and move on from there after I listed ISPs offering actual Gigabit, you dropped to personal accusations.

Back on topic, the Centrino 2230 is a 2x2 802.11n card that is theoretically capable of 300 Mbps -- but since it only supports 2.4 GHz, it would require a 40 MHz channel to do that.  Since those often cause more problems than they solve because of the limited available spectrum in the 2.4 GHz range, routers often fall back to 20 MHz even if they're configured to allow 40 MHz.  With a 20 MHz channel, the max theoretical throughput drops to 150 Mbps, but when I last used even even 3x3 802.11n cards and routers on 2.4 GHz, the best real-world throughput I could reliably get was around 60-70 Mbps even when I was right next to the router -- right around what the OP is getting.  So if you want to speak in "greatest probability", then even if the OP doesn't have full Gigabit, there's a very good chance that his current WiFi card is creating a bottleneck.  Unless you think it's more likely that he has exactly a 60 Mbps Internet connection that's using his available real-world WiFi bandwidth at 100% efficiency.

0 Kudos
shaha21
1 Nickel

Hey Peeps..Thanks for the responses..I appreciate your help Smiley Happy

The below are the details of the adaptor in my laptop Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 2013 model and it has a i7 gen 3 processor. I don't know if the new wifi cards will fit in my laptop slot after removing the old one. So my problem is -

1] Which Wi-Fi card will fit in my laptop and give me the MAX speed possible for my laptop? I have a 1 Gigabit per second max speed connection from my ISP but I get way slower speeds as per my question. I don't think there are many wifi cards that will fit in my laptop.

2] I have the AC 1900 dual band Gigabit Wifi Asus RT-AC68U router with MU-MIMO, AiMesh for mesh wifi system, AiProtection network security powered by Trend Micro, Adaptive QoS and Parental Control. I'm only getting 50-60 Mbps on speedtest.net on the 2.4 Ghz frequency and I want to get the best card that will fit in my laptop and give the max speed possible my laptop can handle. Its got i7 Gen 3 processor as mentioned above. 

3] If wi-fi card replacement isnt possible which is the best USB wi-fi that will give me max speed possible for my 1 Gbps internet connection and current laptop?

Name [00000001] Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 Driver
Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
Product Type Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 Driver
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_44628086&REV_C4\4&351ADA51&0&00E0

Name [00000002] Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Product Type Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_05781028&REV_05\4&85230B5&0&00E4

Name [00000003] Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
Adapter Type Not Available
Product Type Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID Not Available

Name [00000004] Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Product Type Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID {5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP_WFD\5&123DEB5F&0&11

Name [00000005] Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Product Type Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID BTH\MS_BTHPAN\7&1161FB34&0&3

Name [00000006] Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Product Type Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID BTH\MS_RFCOMM\7&1161FB34&0&0

Name [00000007] WAN Miniport (SSTP)
Product Type WAN Miniport (SSTP)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\MSRRAS\MS_SSTPMINIPORT

Name [00000008] WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
Product Type WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\MSRRAS\MS_AGILEVPNMINIPORT

Name [00000009] WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Product Type WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\MSRRAS\MS_L2TPMINIPORT

Name [00000010] WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Product Type WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\MSRRAS\MS_PPTPMINIPORT

Name [00000011] WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Product Type WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\MSRRAS\MS_PPPOEMINIPORT

Name [00000012] WAN Miniport (IP)
Product Type WAN Miniport (IP)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANIP

Name [00000013] WAN Miniport (IPv6)
Product Type WAN Miniport (IPv6)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANIPV6
Last Reset 11-02-2018 20:56

Name [00000014] WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Product Type WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANBH

Name [00000015] Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Adapter Type Tunnel
Product Type Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID SWD\IP_TUNNEL_VBUS\TEREDO_TUNNEL_DEVICE

Name [00000016] Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Product Type Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID Not Available