Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

30 Posts

May 9th, 2018 11:00

Is that all the drive space I get !

New Inspiron 11 3000 Series(AMD) - 3180 doesn't even turn on. 
Ok,Dell after 2 hours on the phone ,I finally got them to send a new unit,and now I have read that after
you update the system , you only have 3GB of space left.  I know it's a low cost laptop but why bother?
Maybe I'll just return both,or can I just put everything on cloud,google drive,or a thumb drive? 

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

May 9th, 2018 12:00

This is not supposed to be your main computer. It is used as a connection to the Internet and that's it. No downloading, no installed programs or games and all storage is in the Cloud on One Drive.  If you need a regular laptop there are plenty of budget model with normal hard drives. 

It is important to check the specs of any computer or tablet you are buying to make sure specs are what you need and want. http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-11-3000-2-in-1/spd/inspiron-11-3185-2-in-1-laptop/fncwd2008s

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 9th, 2018 12:00

If by "update" you mean upgrade to a new release of Windows 10, then the issue here is that Windows will keep the old version's files cached away in case you decide you want/need to roll back to it.  Those files can take 10-20GB of space, which is obviously a lot if your entire system only has 32GB of storage.  If you're comfortable purging those files, you can do so by launching Disk Cleanup, selecting your C drive, and then clicking "Clean up system files" (and then selecting C again) to show all available options for reclaiming disk space.

30 Posts

May 10th, 2018 07:00

Wouldn't deleting the restore backup except 1 date help?

30 Posts

May 19th, 2018 07:00

Dell shouldn't even be selling a unit that cannot even update right out of the box!!!!

1 Message

August 26th, 2018 21:00

My son has the same issue. After 1 month he could no longer use the computer. He has nothing saved. After a few upgrades all the space was used up. I’m not exactly sure where to go from here. I’m open to any suggestions.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 27th, 2018 08:00

@Micahdexter wrote:

My son has the same issue. After 1 month he could no longer use the computer. He has nothing saved. After a few upgrades all the space was used up. I’m not exactly sure where to go from here. I’m open to any suggestions.

See the Disk Cleanup suggestion I posted earlier, and you can try using TreeSize Free to map out which folders are consuming space on your drive just in case there's any low-hanging fruit that you can purge.  Sometimes data accumulates up in unexpected places and for unnecessary reasons.  Make sure to run TreeSize Free as administrators so it can map out all folders on the drive.

30 Posts

September 9th, 2018 09:00

I'm at 27GB with hardly anything saved to Hard Drive. I use cloud and google drive to save anything.
I put a 16GB Micro SD in it. 
I'll look into maybe deleting previous windows versions. This article says I may have a shot.

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1219-delete-windows-old-folder/

5.6K Posts

September 9th, 2018 11:00

@DeputydD wrote:

I'm at 27GB with hardly anything saved to Hard Drive. I use cloud and google drive to save anything.
I put a 16GB Micro SD in it. 
I'll look into maybe deleting previous windows versions. This article says I may have a shot.

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1219-delete-windows-old-folder/

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 120S with the same puny 32 GB hard drive.

I recently did a clean installation of Windows 10 1803 which essentially removed the recoverly partition. The recovery partition is useless anyway because it is several iterations too old.

I am saving all my files to a 32 GB microSD card.

I have not installed any programs.

With the next major Windows 10 update 1809 I will be running Disk Cleaner to remove 1803 to keep the hard drive space used to a minimum.

1 Message

January 16th, 2019 05:00

I've never had any of these issues with mine, but I have to admit, I do run the cleanup util periodically, just to keep down the clutter. I use mine for watching movies, desktop publishing, etc. I've installed some publishing software, the java developers kit, and Tizen--an integrated development environment for creating your own computer programs. I don't have problems. Just keep it cleaned out.

11 Posts

March 4th, 2019 18:00

Upgrade the hd witha 500 gb ss hd - upgrade your hd with a dell 500 gb sata ss hd - Seagate FireCuda ST500LX025 - Hybrid hard drive - 500 GB - internal - 2.5-inch - SATA 6Gb/s - $54.95.  Not a bad price for dell.  $54.99 not bad for dell

11 Posts

March 4th, 2019 18:00

upgrade your hd with a dell 500 gb sata ss hd - Seagate FireCuda ST500LX025 - Hybrid hard drive - 500 GB - internal - 2.5-inch - SATA 6Gb/s - $54.95.  Not a bad price for dell.

11 Posts

March 4th, 2019 19:00

I upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and put in a 1 TB SATA SSHD and the spects said tyhe max hd was 500 GB so I had to split the partition on the 1tb hd and it worked ok.  not a lot of money and you get a pretty good laptop for the cost.

2 Posts

May 6th, 2019 10:00

I was told  you can't install another drive in this unit, I was told this by dell support.  Is this not the case?  from what I gathered the 32gig storage is hard wired to the system board, again, is that not the case?  I would love to install a 256gb ssd or something like that into this unit to get some more bang out of it.

Thanks for any information you an provide. 

1 Message

May 16th, 2019 02:00

I'm following this post with great anticipation, I have the same Dell 3185 with 32Gb HD and would love to upgrade it if possible.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 16th, 2019 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Manic35 

The 32GB eMMC Storage Memory cannot be upgraded!!!!!

There are a few options but it takes some time and experience???

I am an "Expert" on the HP forum and a member has worked out a few options.

Updating Windows 10 OS on an HP Stream with 32 GB eMMC memory

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-3...

Good luck,

U2

No Events found!