Spender498
1 Copper

Issue with USB controllers (drivers?) on Inspiron 5110

Hello, guys.

2 out of 4 USB ports did not work. I searched this website for a solution and found a recommendation to go here and download USB drivers. It worked! After installation of new drivers, all USB ports started working normally. But, the sound became horrible. There is some machine noise that makes it impossible to enjoy music. And, in addition to issues with sound, my laptop stopped recognizing ethernet connection, even though the cable is plugged in (wireless connection works fine).

I opened device manager and noticed that after installation of USB drivers two new USB controllers appeared - Texas Instruments XHCI Controller and Texas Instruments USB Root Hub. I disabled them, and my laptop connected to the web via ethernet cable, and sound became crystal-clear again. But 2 USB ports stopped working.

I enabled Texas Instruments XHCI Controller and Texas Instruments USB Root Hub, and USB ports came back to life, but issues with sound and ethernet port returned as well.

So that is the issue: I can either use all USB ports and sacrifice audio and ethernet connection, or use audio and connect to the Internet via ethernet (which I actually prefer over Wi-Fi), but sacrifice 2 USB ports. 

Maybe someone can give me an advice on where to search for a solution? 2 extra USB ports would be very handy, but I am not ready to sacrifice audio for them. 

I use Windows 7 x64. Laptop model is Inspiron 5110. The only drivers that I installed manually were USB driver, as well as audio driver that I downloaded from Dell website and installed trying to resolve the issue described above. Sadly, it didn't help. Also quite a long time ago I installed drivers fro Intel and Nvidia graphic cards.  All other drivers were installed by Windows 7 automatically. 

Thank you in advance!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ieee488
5 Rhenium

Re: Issue with USB controllers (drivers?) on Inspiron 5110

chipset driver?
Spender498
1 Copper

Re: Issue with USB controllers (drivers?) on Inspiron 5110

Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately, updating chipset drivers didn't help.

I also installed Linux Mint alongside Win 7, and everything works normally there. So that is definitely a software issue.

0 Kudos